Thursday, August 6, 2015

Happy Anniversary

Nineteen years is a long time! But it seems 
The wedding site
like only yesterday. We woke up to a brilliant blue sky in the Rocky Mountains. I donned a beautiful white, cotton sun-dress, with a back of Battenberg lace. My hair was done, on my neck was a wedding gift of gold from my soon-to-be husband. My best friend, Rozann had finished tying a scarf to the  cute little straw hat we had purchased at Wal-Mart. I had my something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. I was ready to be married. Gulp! I think!


On this day in 1996 Richard and I had already been a couple for 17 years. We had raised two sons. We had forged two careers. We had purchased a home together (and numerous new cars). But what we had never done was get married. Not because Richard didn't want to. He had asked me several times. (Read that to say several hundred times). I had an engagement ring. I'd had it for a number of years. But I just couldn't say 'yes' to actually getting married. I had been burned once. I needed to be sure!

But on this day, August, 6, 1996, the time had come. Along with our friends, Doug and Rozann, and their two little ones we took the plunge. Richard and Doug waited at our chosen spot. The finishing touches were put on my hat. The tattoo (something blue) was completely hidden from view. Flowers were produced. We were ready to go.

I walked down the steep, wooden steps to the 'Wedding Tree' to meet my soul-mate. My chosen one. The man I would call my husband.

Waiting in the meadow, with wild-flowers and grasses to our knees, were Richard, Doug, and the minister. We faced each other and held hands. I promised to take him as my lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part. Behind us was the sparkling waters of Lake Isabel. Tiny cabins dotted the mountains in the background. People stopped on the path  to watch. Fishermen stopped fishing as the music started.

The minister played his guitar and sang, There Is Love, The Wedding Song by Peter, Paul, and Mary!




We were married! It wasn't a perfect union. What marriage is perfect? But he was my soul-mate. My life partner. The man I loved until death parted us. And today I miss him. Happy Anniversary Richard!








20 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - lovely post .. and it is sad Richard is no longer with you - but your memories are wonderful and I love the wedding photo ... with hugs -Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet memory! And wasn't that song such a great one for weddings? I love it. I hope the good memories bring you confort today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, Gram, that day was the first time I had ever heard that song. And that minister sang it with such a hauntingly beautiful voice. It is now one of my favorites!!

      Delete
  3. A good life and marriage to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, just loved reading this. I was almost there with you on that wedding day so many years ago you described it so well. A wonderful marriage and life the two of you had together!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! We DID have a wonderful life together. I miss him so much!

      Delete
  5. You write such beautiful tributes to yours and Richard's relationship. It touches my heart and also makes it ache for you. Still you had many years together and that's a beautiful thing, you found your soul mate, not everone does in life. I hope each day makes it a little easier for you. I hope you will find joy, perhaps in the small things, a flower, a bird, a sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inger. He was the best thing that ever happened to me. I can't help but continue to pay tribute to him. I do find joy in the small things. I hope you are taking care of yourself.

      Delete
  6. WOW!!! Beautiful!!!! Would you believe I sang that song at my sister in law's wedding??!! I just love it! And my husband and I celebrated our 26th anniversary yesterday. I LOVE this post, Paula, it is so beautiful and the photos are priceless! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, I would love to hear you sing it. Happy Late Anniversary to you my friend. 26 years!!!!! Way to go Love you!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I will always need hugs

      Delete
  8. August 6 will always be your anniversary; even death can't erase your memories.
    ... and what wonderful memories you've described! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful memories! Thank you for sharing these precious moments with us!
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michele, for reading them.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! It WAS a beautiful day!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!