Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

I read over the prompts yesterday on From This Side of the Pond and decided I wasn't going to respond this week. But I couldn't get them out of my mind. So, here I am, late in the afternoon doing Wednesday Hodgepodge. Won't you join me?

 1.  I recently read here about four secrets to happiness from around the world. They were-

Overcome your fears by facing them head on, allow yourself to relax and reset, work to live versus living to work, and find the good in life. Not sure if these are the actual secret to happiness, but which of the four do you struggle with most? Which one comes most easily to you?


I am not good at facing my fears. I would much rather stew about those kinds of things. Well, not really, but that is what I usually end up doing. I have a lot of fears! But, don't we all? The one that comes easiest to me would be the working to live and not living to work. I loved my career as a nurse. But I am just as glad that part of my life has ended. I am okay with just staying home and taking care of my home and my grandchildren. (The two that live with me).


 2. How would you spend a found $20 bill today?

I would probably spend it at a fast-food place. Or the grocery store!


 3. Ego trip, power trip, guilt trip, round trip, trip the light fantastic, or trip over your own two feet...which 'trip' have you experienced or dealt with most recently? Explain.

I have no problems going on guilt trips. I am usually always on one. Last night I stayed up late watching Chopped on the Food Channel. Led to quite a few trips to the kitchen. Which in turn leads to guilt!


 4. If you could master any physical skill in the world what would it be, and how would you use that skill?

I would learn how to ice-skate if I could master any physical skill. I have always told my family, if I believed in reincarnation, I am coming back as a figure skater! I can picture myself gracefully jumping and twirling and dancing across the ice. I have to squint really hard sometimes!!


 5. As July draws to a close, let's take inventory of our summer fun. Since the official first day of (North American) summer (June 20th) have you...been swimming? enjoyed an ice cream cone? seen a summer blockbuster? camped? eaten corn on the cob? gardened? deliberately unplugged? watched a ballgame? picked fruit off the vine? taken a road trip? read a book?  Are any of these activities on your must-do-before-summer-ends list?

I used to love to swim. For years we had an above ground pool in the backyard. Now we don't. I haven't swam at all this summer. I have eaten ice cream cones (and licked the drips off the side of the waffle cone) and corn on the cob this summer. Yum! I haven't seen a summer blockbuster in many, many years. We just don't go to the movies! I am not, and never have been, a camper. So that's not going on my summer bucket list. Ever! Since Richard died I haven't taken a single road trip. My car does not have a working A/C so I don't think I'll be doing that this summer. Maybe in the fall! I have done a bit of reading. I read all year round. So what is on your must-do-before-summer-ends list?


 6. The Republican Presidential candidates will debate on August 6th. What's your question?

I am interested in several issues:

1. What are your thoughts on gun control? How are we going to keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people? Would you support the idea of mental health checks every year for all gun owners?

2. What are you thoughts on reforming the welfare system? How can we offer people help without giving them a lifestyle?

3. When are we going to bring ALL of our troops home?


 7. What's your most listened to song so far this summer?

Easy peasy! Blake Shelton's Sangria. Love it!!




 8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Have you ever watched the A & E Show Intervention? I think most of my faithful readers know that my oldest son is a drug addict. It is a painful condition that ruins families. I don't know why I watch this show but I can't seem to stop. I don't happen to fall into the category of those who believe this is a disease. I believe it is an addiction. Addictions, to me, are like bad habits. You can stop if you really want to. If you put your mind to it! I think rehab can help many. But I think if they go to rehab because it is court-ordered, or to avoid jail, or for any reason other than they really want to stop using then it isn't going to work. Just my thoughts! What are your thoughts on this show?


9 comments:

  1. "1. What are your thoughts on gun control? How are we going to keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people? Would you support the idea of mental health checks every year for all gun owners?"

    I have to say, I'll respectfully have to say that this creeps me out a little bit. As a person who is mentally ill, albeit well-controlled on medications, this strikes me as rather scary. Not that I'd ever want to own a gun, but who are you to think that a mentally ill person doesn't have rights? I have rights. Seems like you're painting all mentally ill people with the "psycho killer" brush. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO believe mentally ill people have rights. But NOT the right to purchase and own a gun! Sorry! I fully respect your opinion and I am only offering mine. I support ALL gun owners having to pass a mental health exam every year. That is what I said. Mentally ill people, who are controlled on medications, would be treated the same as non-mentally ill people (if there really is such a creature). I am NOT painting all mentally ill people with the "psycho killer" brush as you implicated! Those are your words; not mine. I just think there have been way too many deaths in this country committed by people with guns. What is wrong with having to pass a mental health exam?

      Delete
  2. Glad you decided to Wednesday Hodgepodge it after all. I enjoy your Wednesday posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting questions re. the upcoming upcoming debate. As a registered gun owner, I've no qualms with annual mental-health exams. An inconvenience, yes; but my only concern would be who chooses those charged with administering and interpreting the test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would just have to be something that is decided. I cannot renew my nursing license without continuing education credits. It seems completely unrealistic , to me, to think people can own a gun without some kind of licensing requirements to test their abilities to use that weapon. I am not a gun owner. But I come from a family of ALL gun owners. So I am greatly outnumbered in my beliefs!! But that is okay. It's a free country!

      Delete
  4. I like your questions for the debate, Paula; definitely would hope these would be addressed in them, all good ones! I haven't see Intervention, but I do agree with you; I think these are addictions and not a disease.

    I just can't believe we are almost through July and summer is winding itself down. I haven't quite eaten as much ice cream as I would like (which is probably a good thing considering the calories) but did see a couple block buster movies. We hadn't gone to movies in years but now its something to do on a hot afternoon when its too warm to be outside.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What movies did you see Betty! Yes, ice cream is good but we do have to be careful. (Although I don't really anymore). I love sherbet however and that I think has fewer calories. It is hard to believe that summer is almost gone!!

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize that there was a summer checklist. Yikes. I actually did have an ice cream cone recently. And I read all the time, so I have read a book. But as for the rest, I have no desire to do any of them. I guess some would call that sad, but then they might actually enjoy camping.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!