Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Hump day is here! Yesterday was a difficult day for me. But it was made so much better by my family and friends! I cannot thank my blogging friends enough for being with me on this hard anniversary. To read two beautiful tributes please visit my friend Ellie at HoneySuckle Hollow and my friend Gram at Goodnight Gram's Blog. Also, my friend, Wendy, left me a great message on my Facebook page.  All of you mean so much to me. And in My Simple Woman's Daybook post on Monday I mentioned Harley being at camp. I wondered if she would remember what happened a year ago. At 11:30 p.m. last night I received this text. My kiddos are the best!







Now let's get on With Wednesday Hodgepodge and link at From This Side of the Pond.



 1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot-the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused.

Thank goodness our home is air conditioned. We are so spoiled! I grew up without A/C and don't remember it being all that horrible. But I think I would now find it unbearable. When I was young I remember my mom would hang wet sheets and then blow a fan through them. This was supposed to cool us down. Can you imagine? Right now my car does not have A/C. I try not to drive in the hottest part of the day. But sometimes we have to!



2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'?

Oh my goodness! I feel like most of my life is "up in the air" right now. I think it is due to this past year of adjusting to life without Richard. It's like I am having to re-learn how to live. I also will admit that I haven't done much towards moving forward. His shirts are still hanging in the laundry room. His glasses are still on the entry table. His shaving supplies are still in the bathroom medicine cabinet. I have plans to change all of that within the next few months! I'm in no hurry.


 3. Your favorite light and airy dessert?


When I worked in the nursing home an Amish lady told me how to make these Lemon Bars. I wasn't quite sure, the first time I made them, they would turn out okay. She insisted it was only the two ingredients. So I tried them! And they were delicious. A good summer treat! Make them and let me know what you think!


You'll Need: 2 Cans Lemon Pie Filling
1 Angel Food Cake Mix

Preheat the oven to 350F

In a mixing bowl pour in the cake mix- there will be 2 separate packages in the mix, the powdered egg whites and the cake flour mixture, use both. Dump them into the bowl and mix them with a fork or whisk. Don't waste your time with an electric mixer on this one, you don't want to over-mix it by any means. Add in both cans of lemon pie filling mix. Mix just until incorporated, but again, don't whip it or it will overflow when you cook it and change the texture and volume of the bars.

Pour into a 9x13 Pan and bake for 26 minutes. Cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. The powdered sugar makes them pretty.


 





 4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?


I laughed when I read this prompt. I can't remember the last time I felt I was 'floating on air'. It might have had something to do with more than one glass of wine!


 5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead...which have you most recently encountered? Explain.


Another prompt that caused me to chuckle.  I last encountered an 'airhead'. I live with her. We tease her about it. She isn't blonde. But we think she might still have some blonde baby roots. (I am not trying to offend any blonde haired people). My granddaughter, Harley, sometimes just can't see things clearly. And sometimes the funniest things come out of her mouth. Like the time she was talking about the band Candyland. What? I haven't heard of that band. She meant Sugarland! We love the girl!!!


 6.  Have you ever been to the Alps? If so where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity...a gentle walk, a serious walk, a bike ride, a boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing?


I have never been to the Alps. I have never had a desire to go to the Alps. And if I ever find myself in the Alps then a gentle walk is all I have in mind!!


 7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?


When I was a teen we used to call police officers 'the heat'. Once when my cousin was home on leave from the Navy we were all out dragging main street one night. My cousin was driving. Someone said, "Look out! The heats on." My cousin started fiddling with the dials on the car's heater saying "No it's not" We teens howled at how 'dumb' he was!! But he was a 'cool cat' (another phrase) and didn't get mad at us.




 8. Insert your own random thought here.


I saw this on Facebook last night! There is so much to chew on here. Do you have these three kinds of people in your life?
I can think of names right off the top of my head. I am doing to CHOSE to concentrate on those who fit into #1. What will you do?

35 comments:

  1. Sorry about this being the anniversary of your loved one's passing. I guess it's best to try and do something positive in his name, and to think back on all the good memories - as long as it doesn't add to your sadness. Hang in there. I like to say "let go, let God."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marla! "Let go-let God" is a good thing to remember

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula - how lovely Harley remembered ... so thoughtful to her Gran .. and great text. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a good kid! Most of the time :)

      Delete
  3. That was a sweet text from Harley; she did remember how hard the day was a year ago. I thought Ellie did such a lovely thing for you; so beautiful! Those lemon bars look so delicious!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was surprised she remembered! Ellie is a sweet, sweet gal! Try those lemon bars Betty and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. Paula,
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog, today, and leaving the helpful "back advice". I agree.
    I noticed that yesterday made a year since you've lost your husband. Your beautiful letter brought tears to my eyes. You and your husband must have shared a very special kind of love. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Those lemon bars sound really good (and easy). I might have to try those next time we have a family get together.
    I really enjoyed my time here on your blog. I'll definitely be back.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy to have you back anytime Kathy! Thanks for visiting me!

      Delete
  5. Blessings on a year -- I'm sure it is tough. As for running the fan through a wet sheet, I bet that works! At summer camp we had sprinklers on top of the cabins, so the water ran over the roof. It certainly worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kept us cooler....wetter to though!

      Delete
  6. Take your time is my advice. Mama passed away this April. THey were married 56 years before she passed. He has not done anything towards putting things away of hers. I think my sister put her clothes away from the closet but that is all that has been done. We moved them to Oklahoma so we have stuff there and in their house in Kansas. We are in no hurry either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on each person as to when they want to move forward. Thanks for visiting Laura!

      Delete
  7. I've been thinking lately how easy the summers were for me as a kid. We played outside all the time in the heat. Played in the sprinklers, bike riding, softball... it was never too hot. Now I can hardly take this sticky heat! :)
    So sweet of Harley to send you that message. Tender young lady! :)
    Hope the rest of you week is a blessed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I don't see kids playing outside anymore like we used to! I think it might be a thing of the past!

      Delete
  8. I am seriously going to try the lemon bars!! Thanks for the recipe.
    Such a sweet text from Harley- I know that meant a lot to you.
    Thank God for air conditioning and fans!! That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of the bars! I know how hot you are in Texas right now, so yes, Thank God for A/C.

      Delete
  9. I may have to try those lemon bars. They sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet that you got that message.

    Your little memory in #7 gave me a chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sweet. Made me cry too! And I love my memory of the police too!

      Delete
  11. I used to say "bitchen". I still do. i.e., those lemon bars look bitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I have a niece that used to say bitchn'! Those lemon bars ARE bitchen'.

      Delete
  12. I think I would enjoy talking with your Harley, I love kids like her. And I have copied the recipe. I just bought a new stove and this winter I plan to bake! That cake looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of the cake Inger! I know you would love Harley. And she would love you too!

      Delete
  13. Aw, Harley remembered. Sweet young lady you have there. I visited Ellie's post and took her walk to the beach. That was very sweet. (I told her that, too.) Okay, so let's get to that yummy looking lemon dessert. How easy is that!!?!! I think I will have GN make that sometime. And the quote you used in your random thought is very good advice! Do you feel any relief from just making it over the first year hump? I hope there is at least a smidgen of relief. Yes, I knowmit's the name of your blogc. I did that on purpose. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was so pleased to hear from her! I loved taking the walk with Ellie too. She is special for sure! I do feel better today, Gram. A Smigen and a bit!!

      Delete
  14. I am so happy you have your family and your sense of humor to get you through each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I will never lose either of them Wendy!

      Delete
  15. Those white butterflies are amazing!

    You know, with everything else going on around her at camp, I'm touched by Harley's text. Then, her mention of 'Candyland' made me snicker out-loud. Haven't we all done something like that at one time or another?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to hear from her. I think she is a special kiddo. But, of course!

      Delete
  16. I make a similar Lemon Bar with 2 eggs, 1 can of lemon pie filling and a lemon flavored cake mix, topped with powdered sugar and lemon juice...really yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the eggs make it heavier...more like a bar! Sounds good. I will have to try that with eggs!

      Delete
  17. Sending hugs. XO (And I love your story about "the heat.") :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!