Welcome to Wednesday! Hip Hip horray for July 1, 2015. How we got all the way to July so fast is a mystery to me! It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge. Joyce, This Side of the Pond, posts the questions and we answer. Join the link here on her blog. It's fun. And you know you want to jump in here and tell us what you think!!
1. On Saturday July 4th America celebrates her Independence. (If you're not American, feel free to answer in terms of a national holiday in your own country) What is your favorite thing about the day? Your favorite food on the 4th? Do you fly a flag at your house? Fireworks-yay or nay? Any special plans this year?
We love 4th of July at our house. Richard was a very patriotic man. We have an American Flag flying 24/7 here. For many years this was the holiday we invited ALL my family over for a backyard cook-out. Hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill with all the fixins': potato salad, baked beans, chips, watermelon. It was always a fun-filled day. We quit doing this when he got sick. Maybe someday I'll host it again. Fireworks come and go here. Our town goes back and forth with them being legal or illegal. There was a very nice house burned from fireworks landing on the roof a few years ago. Our fireworks ordinance now covers those that fly into the air. We probably will NOT have fireworks this year. Depends on what the kids want. We have no 4th of July plans as of now.
2. What's something you recently got for free?
When I recently purchased soaps from Petoskey and Pine, I received a free bar of soap with my order. Yay for me!
3. The Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, The Washington Monument, or Mount Rushmore...how many on the list have you seen? What is your favorite historical American monument, and why?
We visited Mount Rushmore when our boys were younger. I cannot remember what year that was. It was a fun trip. I was fascinated with those faces and how the carving was done on the mountain. A huge tourist trap however. Be prepared for lots and lots of people. I have never been to New York or Washington D.C. Those should be on my bucket list.
4. When it comes to the news are you more ostrich (stick my head in the sand) or hog (they have room to take a whole lot in)? How much attention have you given the recent news reports regarding ISIS and the acts of terror they've perpetrated against those who do not share their beliefs or support their cause?
I am a news hog! Maybe I should stick my head more into the sand. I can get very caught up in the current events. I think what ISIS (and others) perpetrate against our country is horrible. BUT, don't we do similar things with those who do not share our beliefs? I just wish our country would stick closer to home with trying to fix things. We have plenty of our own problems right here in the good old USA. I know that my view is not a popular view. My husband used to call me a 'separationist' and he had plenty of ideas as to why that wouldn't work! I respect all others views!
5. We're talking plain ice cream...vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? Choose one.
My favorite ice cream is vanilla. Hands down!
6. Share a song you love containing the word 'stars' in the lyrics or title?
I simply love LeAnn Rimes singing The Star Spangled Banner acapella.
7. Describe and/or say goodbye to June with an acrostic.
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse
U sked me to put it into a verse
Now I'm not a poet as you will soon see
Enough of this nonsense, I'll just be me!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I love the United States of America. I love all of our freedoms. I know that many of them come at a cost. I am saddened to see what is going on in this country. We have to be so politically correct about EVERYTHING. People should be kinder to each other. People should be more tolerant of each other. People should try harder to get along. But I don't feel we need to write new laws to cover everything. It is becoming ridiculous. And I honestly think that the more laws enacted the further we get from just being a nation that all stands together. It seems to pit us against each other. That's my 2 cents worth!