Friday, July 10, 2015

The Book Thief

                                   Overview from Barnes and Nobel





The extraordinary #1 New York Times bestseller that is now a major motion picture, Markus Zusak's unforgettable story is about the ability of books to feed the soul.
It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement




I just finished reading The Book Thief. Probably the best book I have ever read. This will top my list for books in 2015. I cried. I smiled. I laughed out loud. All those emotions are what makes a good book become THE perfect book. I was a few chapters into the book before I realized who the narrator was. (I won't spoil it for you) The writing is superb. The characters are ones you will never forget. And you will come to love all of them. (Even the narrator, I'm afraid to say).

I've read a few books about World War II and Nazi Germany. But this book tells  the story of a small girl, her foster parents, a hidden Jew in the basement, and a boy who loves her, in such a way that this might very well become one of the first books EVER that I want to read again.

Trust me! If you haven't read this book yet you should. You have to! It will become a classic. I can't wait to share it with my granddaughter. I've heard this book was written for young adults. But it most definitely should be read by all who can read.



   


17 comments:

  1. This does sound like a good book, Paula! Will look for it. Great review!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good Betty. It was on the New York Times bestseller list for over 230 weeks.

      Delete
  2. I love 'hearing' the enthusiasm in your voice, Paula!
    The best book you've ever read? Wow!

    PS - I'm still 66th (or 67th) in line at the library for "Girl on a Train", so I'd better add "Book Thief" to the list asap.
    PPS - Have you ever read "The Girls from Ames"? I don't read as much as you, but that's probably my all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! I cannot believe you are having to wait that long for Girl on the Train. Book Thief is so much better. Get it first if you can! I am going now to look at The Girls from Ames!!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you loved it! I did, too, and it's one of my favorites from a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS--I liked the movie, too, but was glad I read the book first.

      Delete
    2. I was late getting to it but I loved it. Thanks for telling me the movie is good too. Oftentimes I don't like the movie if I have read the book first.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed it Paula. I loved this book and every character in it just like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! It was your recommendation that took me to the bookstore....actually I downloaded it to my Nook. I think I might even read it again. Unheard of for me!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Found you through the A-Z Road Trip. This book is on my list for the year. Think I'll pop over to the challenge and see what it is all about. Enjoying the other smidgens and snippets on your blog and will be back to read some more.
    Cheers
    Yvonne

    http://yvonnevandalen.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you visited Yvonne. I kind of slowed down with my Road Trip and need to pack up and get on the road again. I hope you enjoy The Book Thief!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful book, Paula! "The Diary of Anne Frank" traumatized me when I was younger and haven't read a book about Nazi Germany since. This one sounds like a winner. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Diary of Anne Frank when I was pretty young but remember so little of it. I must read it again. I don't think this book will traumatize you, however!

      Delete
  7. I did hear about this book, but I've avoided it because I avoid books that take place during that time period. I might consider it, but only if there are no concentration camps. (I can't tolerate stories in that setting. It's too upsetting to me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no concentration camps in this book. The book is about the war through the eyes of a 9 year old. A couple of "Jew" marches through the streets and that is about the brutality of it all!

      Delete
  8. Hi Paula ... it is a brilliant story line - I saw the film, but haven't read the book - though am sure it's as you say - and it obviously made an impression on you. I love the idea of books being her release and freedom from life around her ... so good to read - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet seen the movie. But the book was very good! Good to see you out and about Hilary!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!