Monday, July 13, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook July 13th Edition

For Today...

Today is Monday, July 13th, 2015.


Outside my window...

Outside my window the sun is shining. It is hot! The temp is already over 90* We are in a heat advisory until 9 p.m. tonight. The sweltering days of summer are upon us!


I am thinking...

I am thinking about getting up and going outside to water the flowers and my tree. 


I am thankful...

Today I am most thankful for air conditioning. When I was growing up we didn't have A/C. We had window water coolers off and on. But no A/C like we are used to now. And it's funny that I don't really remember the times being "hot". Or it could be that as kids we don't feel the heat like we do as adults. My car doesn't have A/C right now. It is pretty darn hot when we are out and about. But we'll live.


I am hearing...

I am hearing General Hospital in the background.


I am creating.

I am creating this post and my weekly menu. I am taking Harley out soon and get her a planner to use for school. I have bought The Happy Planner for myself (40% off at Hobby Lobby made it affordable for me). Now she wants one. I dug out all of my old scrapbooking supplies and we will decorate our planners. She is so excited!!


I am going...

I am going to Hobby Lobby and Target today. We are getting Harley ready for Youth Church Camp. She is working with the K-5th graders this summer. She did this last summer and this was when she fell in love with the idea of being a grade-school teacher. She will be gone all next week.


I am wondering...

Last year, during the Youth Camp, is when her Papa died and we had to go get her. I wonder if she will remember that this year?


I am reading...

I am reading Eeny Meeny by M. J. Arlidge. It is a thriller. It was time for me to move away from World War II books for awhile.
 


I am dreaming....

I have some very vivid dreams. Always have! Last night I dreamed about working at the hospital. I was running behind. I never caught up. It was more like a nightmare. LOL!


I am learning...


I am learning that all families are weird! Just some are weirder than others. And all have some type of dysfunction! Wouldn't you agree.


In my backyard...

In my backyards things are a bit parched. I find it so funny that it can pour rain for a full day (Friday) and then just a couple of days of baking sun and things are dry again. Time to go out and water the tree and the geraniums. Are you doing lots of watering where you are?
 


In my kitchen...
 
 
 
Tuesday...Ham and Cheese Omelets
 
Wednesday...Shrimp/Chicken Pasta Salad
 
Thursday...Hamburger Helper Thursday*
 
 
Saturday...Shepherds Pie
 
 
*Harley's cooking!
 
 


I am finding...

I am finding I have lots and lots of scrapbooking supplies. Lots of stamping supplies. I used to like to craft with these things. I am going to pull them all out and decide what I want to keep and what I will let go of. The girls will be thrilled. They always like to 'play' with granny's stamps. I'll see what happens this week.
 


A favorite quote for today...


 







 
 




From the board room...

From my "Gift Ideas" board at Pinterest I have pinned a site you can go to and find ways to decorate your Folger's coffee cans. It is here at Folgers. Wouldn't these be great for cookies and candies at Christmas.
 


Post Script

I was working on my post today and had to stop when the tornado sirens started blowing. Here is what was going on in my front yard.




This picture is taken from our front yard. It touched down about 10 miles west of us. Some damage to a few places but then dissipated. Had a strong rainstorm followed by a beautiful rainbow. This is the first tornado cloud I have ever seen with my own eyes. It was a bit scary!!!!  




****************************


I will be linking up with Peggy at A Simple Woman's Blog. I can't wait to see how the others spent their Monday!








22 comments:

  1. We've had nothing but rain and cooler than normal temps. Doesn't even seem like summer. Although, I don't like 90+ humid weather!! Let me know if your book Eeny Meeny is good. I love mysteries and thrillers. Oh Boy, that tornado was way too close for comfort!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a book review when I am finished reading but so far I am liking it

      Delete
  2. Oh good heavens! The tornado! Do you have a basement? I ask because we don't. I take good care of GN during tornado warnings, but it feels like a bigger responsibility without a basement. You found a planner! I know tou have been trying to find the right one. Good for you. Is that rainbow over your house? And your quote . . . is a very good reminder to be a forgiver, isn't it. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Gram, we don't have a basement. Our safe area in closets in the master bedroom. There are no outside walls or windows there. We were standing in the bathroom ready to dive into the closets if we needed to. This is only the 2nd time in the 20+ years we have lived in this house where I would have gone to a basement if we had one. That rainbow is over our house. That is the beautiful new roof I had put on 2 years ago!!

      Delete
  3. OK, that tornado looks downright scary. One of the things I like about New Mexico--no hurricanes, tornados (at least in my area), blizzards, etc. The weather is pretty consistent. As I've said before, I love these posts. They make me want to start blogging again. Hmmmm, there's a thought. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a 'tiny' bit scary. The weatherman was pretty sure it would not make it all the way into our town. But still......I think you should start blogging again. At least once a week would be awesome. You could do Simple Woman's Daybook entries!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh with the tornado! That would have scared me for sure! Glad you were safe! You are so right, every family is a bit different; there is really not one that isn't dysfunctional in one way or the other. We don't water here, actually there's a drip system that drips a bit of water and that is enough for the plants I guess (thankfully we don't have to maintain the plants with our lease, we just have to pick up leaves, that sort of thing). I bet Harley will enjoy working with the kids!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you guys don't have to water. The heat in the desert would make watering continuously. I think you are spot on with every family having some sort of dysfunction!

      Delete
  5. I love your menu for the week! I would have been scared too if I had seen that outside my window. As always, it's a pleasure to visit your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula, my gosh, I am so glad you are okay!! What an absolutely terrifying thing to see that out your window! Oh my gosh!! I am very relieved we do not get tornadoes here as we did when we were in Ontario, but we do have hurricanes which I found out a few times are pretty darn scary too. I thought it was not as bad as we knew when one was coming in time to prepare, but the forecasting is so off now really, you don't know what you are going to get! We have a tropical storm coming tonight or tomorrow, it formed off the coast of Nova Scotia, and they are saying it will not affect us, but who knows until it gets here? Oh boy this comment will be long....
    I am going to try out your cream cheese chicken recipe soon, I always love your menu plans!
    My family ( parents etc) put the dys in function, I am telling you!
    Yes, watering like crazy here, and doing so by hand as much as possible as we are on a well. We are setting up a small pool for Devin and have so far moved it twice, so we are using the watering cans and filling them up from that and watering everything. it is great for the arm muscles!
    That is great you are decorating your planners together!! Have fun with that! And I hope Harley has a great week away.
    Stay cool! ( Okay you are like the coolest person I know!!) but I hope the heat settles down soon! Sending you lots of love and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a hurricane would be just as awful! But you do get a lot more warning with them. Let me know what you think of the Cream Cheese Chicken. It is one of our very favorites. Everyone likes it so much that I usually make a double batch if Paige and Justin are here too! I loved all the love and hugs you sent my way. Right back to you!!

      Delete
  7. I hope you find Eeny Meeny worth the read--I don't want to say that you like it, because it's kind of creepy! :-) Glad you are safe from that storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh...I have to agree with the creepiness part so far. But I like thrillers so maybe it won't give me too many nightmares. LOL!

      Delete
  8. That was a bit too close for comfort! I remember being at school and some classes had a/c and some didn't. I don't remember sweltering too badly in the non-a/c classes, but I do remember looking forward to the cold classes quite a bit. So, i think the being hot thing is just not sticking in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was close but all is well. I think sometimes "hot" is not as hot as we make it out to be

      Delete
  9. My family tree must be an oak. No nuts, just acorns for all the squirrels LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate to sound like little Sir Echo ... but that funnel cloud gives me the creeps! Do y'all have a basement? Or, like my kids in the South, is that something you just learn to live with?

    OK ... I had to consult Google to see what a Happy Planner looks like. I can just imagine the good times you 'n Harley will enjoy. Paige, too. Won't you share pix of the finished products? (I'm hopelessly craft challenged myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No basement here Myra! I will try to remember to share some pictures of my planner after I decorate it. I am sure Harley's will be more awesome

      Delete
  11. wonderful pictures and love the thing about learning all families are weirder and some more than others lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!