Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Wednesday Hodgepodge is hosted by From This Side of the Pond. She posts the questions on Tuesday and we post on Wednesday. If you are so inclined go pay her a visit and link with all the lovely people.



1. June 23rd is National Pink Day. What's your favorite something pink?

Wow, if only I had known that yesterday was National Pink Day!! I don't think I have anything favorite that is pink. I am not, never have been, a huge fan of pink. Just not my color!


 2. What did you enjoy most about gym class when you were in school? How about the least?

Gosh, I don't think there is a darn thing I can think of that would classify under the title 'enjoy' for gym class. I hated gym class in high school. I was not at all athletic. I had just moved to town, from a much smaller town, so I was the new girl in school. A school that was probably three times the size of the school I had attended up until then. And the first hour of the day was gym class. Who does that to a sophomore girl who is entering high school for the first time? (Now most high schools start with Freshmen, but we started in our sophomore year because 'junior high school' (now middle school) encompassed 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. It was the later 1960's. Girls wore their hair long and stick-straight. Do you remember? I rolled my long, slightly wavy, hair on orange juice cans every night so that it would be straight by morning. What I wouldn't have done to have owned a flat iron back then. Sweet awesome! I got up really early and 'did' the hair and painstakingly applied my makeup. Foundation, powder, eye shadow, eyeliner, lipstick...the whole nine yards. Just so I could go to school to 1st hour P.E. and sweat it all off. We even had a period of swimming at the YMCA (which was next to our school). They provided us with ugly, ugly navy blue bloomer type suits and a white rubber hat to cover our hair. But it did not keep all the water out. No way! I can't even think of enough stories to tell you about my sophomore P.E. class. It was painful and humiliating. Changing clothes and taking showers, naked, in front of everyone. Sanitary napkins and sanitary belts excused no one. Thank God P.E. classes here are no longer like that. They don't even have showers at our high school in the P.E. locker room. And they don't have to change into a stupid looking gym uniform. Just shorts and a tee of any kind. I think schools have come a long way in the past 50 years.  


 3. What memory is brought to mind by the smell of roses?

The smell of roses reminds me of Richard. He loved roses. We used to have a rose garden in the back yard with over 100 varieties of roses. Every holiday that came around he brought me roses. And sometimes he brought me roses, Just Because!


 4. Do you prefer to read or write?

Gosh this is hard. I like to write. I like to get my feelings on paper. I like to create a story. But I love to read. Reading has always been my escape mechanism. I can lose myself in a book. I become part of the story. So I guess I have to say I prefer to read!


 5. Sam Keen is quoted as saying, 'Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.' Would you agree? Is laziness ever respectable? How will you be lazy this summer?

I used to never think it was okay to be lazy. We were raised to believe in hard work. It took hard work to succeed if you were born and raised poor. If you wanted to rise above poverty you were going to have to work hard. All the time! Sunup to sundown! Little time off. Now that I am older I am more on the lazy side. I know that whatever needs to get done will get done. Someday. Somehow. By someone. Not going to stress myself out about it now. And what better time to be lazy that in the summer. It is just too hot to get too worked up. I will be lazy like I'm always lazy. Doesn't matter if it is summer.


 6. The Florida Keys, Disney World, or a resort somewhere on the Gulf Coast...which Florida destination would you choose (and why) if the trip were today?

Gosh, another hard one. I think if I am leaving today I will chose a resort. One that has everything I need right in one place. Good food, great drinks, a nice white, sandy beach. Plenty of people to wait on me. A pile of books to read. My sunglasses. A nice beach chair with an umbrella for when I am tired of the sun. My meals delivered to my room so I don't have to mingle with strangers. A nice soaking tub in the room. A deck off my room if I don't want to venture any farther than that. Makes me want to start the search. But I am sure I'd have to find a teen friendly place and share the peace with a couple of kids! That would be okay if they would just leave me alone most of the time.


 7. What question do you hate to answer?

For the past year, since Richard died, I have hated answering the question "how are you doing?" No one really wants to hear how I am REALLY doing. It wouldn't be comfortable. I would want to say, "how do you think I am doing? My husband is dead and the sun keeps right on shining." Enough of that. You don't really want to hear me continue. So I won't.


 8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Do you notice a lot of "road kill" when you are driving. I know there has always been dead animals in and one the side of the road. But lately it seems like the numbers have increased. Today, while driving Harley to Basketball Camp, I saw skunks, squirrels, 2 deer, birds, and opossum dead in the road. I wonder why we are seeing so much more wild life being hit by cars. Dodging those deer is a feat. Hitting a deer can total a car. It takes defensive driving!

Let's go to From This Side of The Pond and see what everyone else is pondering this week.
 
 

36 comments:

  1. That resort trip you dreamed up sounds wonderful and I don't even like resorts. But how nice it would be to be waited on and feel some sand between my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too crazy about resorts either Inger. They are usually too filled with families with kids that run around and no one is watching them. And I haven't been to a resort yet that has GOOD food!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed gym classes--when I was in college. Our campus was huge, and we walked everywhere. I lost so much weight my mom bought me new clothes at Thanksgiving the first year. I took calisthenics all four years I was in college, and refused to turn in my size 16 bloomers for size 8's. I could hang from a bar, arms at right angles, and do fifty leg lifts. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lucked out in college and didn't have to take PE classes. I was already the mother of 2 by then and I was exempt. I had no athletic prowess.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if we see so many more road kill because animals might be venturing in looking for water or food? I hated gym class too, LOL. I was like you, not athletic. I could deal with some sports, but others I just dreaded that class time. Nowadays I don't even think some schools have PE daily like we did (and that's probably why we have an obesity problem with youth).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be the reason for the more road kill. This was all along a highway though. I think many of the school don't have PE like we used to. And lots of the elementary schools are quitting recesses too!

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine gym class like that, how awful! I am glad things have changed since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it was in my school in the 1960's!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading your answers to today's Hodgepodge, Paula. I can relate to many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! First time visiting your little corner of the world, and I've got to say that your recollections of gym class had me smiling. I teach in a high school, so I totally understand the angst of having PE first. I WISH the kids still had to shower afterward. They smell to high heaven after that class!! Blech. :)

    So sorry about the passing of your husband. I have a dear friend who lost hers (he was in his early 40's) last May, and it's been a tough year for her. I believe I have more sympathy now having watched her go through this. By the way, when I ask how someone is doing, I really DO want to hear the truth. I'm that kind of person. Many are not, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how smelly it gets if the kids aren't showering! But to humiliate them with showers is just not the answer. Maybe it is time for PE class to just go away. Thank you for your kind words in regards to my husband. It is a very hard thing to go through. No one will ever understand until they do it themselves. I know that I didn't!

      Delete
  7. I hated PE so much I took marching band so I wouldn't have to suffer PE. Best. Plan. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a hard choice for me. I don't think I would have liked band any better. But at least I wouldn't have had to shower!! LOL

      Delete
  8. You certainly find interesting groups to post with! I enjoyed your discussion of "lazy". What an interesting discussion. My goodness! All that road kill in one day? Yikes! GN teases me when we both smell a skunk. She says "Mmmm! Smells like coffee."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to find ways to post. I run out of ideas sometimes! Whenever we smell skunk someone invariably says "I thought you got rid of that bottle of perfume/aftershave!" Funny kids!

      Delete
  9. I traumatized our daughters yesterday by accidently running over a chipmunk. I was pretty upset about it as well. I keep hoping it didn't have any little ones waiting somewhere for it to return.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes indeed, I have seen an awful lot of roadkill just in the past week, and even on the sidewalk with our walk last night. However, all I've seen is dead mice, birds, rabbits and prairie dogs. Like you I wonder what that is all about?! I love your idea for a perfect vacation!!

    And by the way, I am so sorry for your loss. Richard sounds like he was a dear, dear man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paula, were you in my h.s. gym class?
    I thought about participating in this week’s Hodgepodge, but only made it as far as #2, and figured no-one would want to hear my tale of woe.

    I had P.E. for first period my senior year and the first month was spent in the stupid pool doing laps – complete with those awful rubber caps. I was really convinced Mr. God hated my guts.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we may have been in the same class! LOL I would have loved to have read your answers!

      Delete
  12. I remember having yoga one semester for gym and square dancing another. At the time it all seemed silly, but later on I found those classes actually made more sense than many of the "life sports" they normally pushed. Roses make me think of the wonderful, full old timey roses we had outside the kitchen window at our old house I lived in from 11 to 39. They were so much more fragrant then modern roses.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only part of high school PE I enjoyed was when we square-danced!

      Delete
  13. Thanks, Paula,
    You made me laugh this morning! As well as shake my head in agreement, and think (roses? not sure about that one), and whisper to you, "I'm sorry Paula. nothing can make this year easier for you. It must have been impossibly hard." Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I think you are right. Nothing can make it easier!

      Delete
  14. Oh my God, yes, that gym reference brought back so many unpleasant memories. I HATED PE. That experience did more to keep me non physical than anything else. And in the 60s when I went to college it was required that you pass a swimming test. Couldn't swim? You took a swim gym class for 0 credit. I took a class and learned to swim well enough to graduate but what the heck was that about. Learning to swim As an adult is very hard. That requirement is also no more. After all, who the heck care if the teacher or nurse or doctor or lawyer can swim. More important is how well they do the job they are paid to do.

    Gosh, that 45 year old memory hit a nerve. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy I could bring you some memories Elaine. The good and the bad. It's what shaped us!

      Delete
  15. Your answer about questions you don't like answering reminded me of when my first MIL was dying. It was my first real experience of losing someone I loved and I remember looking out of the hospital window amazed that life was still going on out there when my life felt so devastated. The sun does keep shining and the world keeps turning and each day, little by little, we are able to return to that life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad that little by little we return to that life! It's really not where I want to go. Thanks Wendy for always being there for me!

      Delete
  16. Hi,
    Phy Ed class sounded awful! I am thankful a few things changed :-)

    Here in Wisconsin, it is dead deer all over in June. It is so sad, because so many of the doe have fawns. The other road kill I do not understand are turtles! They are usually on the side of the road, so you know it was done deliberate. :-(
    Carla


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some dead deer too! The road I drive the grandkids to school is loaded with them. I really worry about hitting one. We see a lot of turtles also. Sometimes even in the middle of the road. If there is no traffic I will stop and move them back to side. The kids would have a fit otherwise!!

      Delete
  17. We just sold a house in North Jersey, a rural part of the state and we saw lots of dead animals there. There was a wild animal park/zoo nearby and the zookeeper came and collected the dead to feed to their animals. Circle of life I suppose, but still ewwwww. It's nice to see you in the Hodgepodge this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewww....is right! Thank you for visiting me Joyce

      Delete
  18. Well I'm late getting around to all the Hodgepodge posts this week as I've been respectably lazy the last couple of days. Enjoyed reading your answers. I think gym classes have definitely improved. I don't believe you do get over the loss of a loved one. You learn to adapt to living without them and some people find that easier than others. I never used to be good at knowing what to say to people who'd been bereaved but I hope I'm getting better at that as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hard to know what to say to someone who has lost an important person in their life. I have found that just saying "I'm sorry . What can I do for you?" is good. And that is what I wanted to hear when I lost Richard. Thanks for visiting me today Wendy

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!