Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Proud Mary Memories for Throwback Thursday

Recently, reading a post on a blog I discovered during the A to Z Challenge, I was flooded with memories of my past.  The post was A Battle of the Bands. A group gets together twice a month and presents songs done by different artists and asks their readers to vote on which is their favorite! While I was visiting the blog, Angels Bark, the song she was featuring was the cause of these beautiful memories.

When I first met Richard in the 1970's I wasn't much of a dancer. But he was. I knew how to do the Twist. It isn't really that hard to just twist your body around. (But, Richard could really twist. He could go all the way to ground and back up again. He was like a white Chubby Checker!) This was how we danced in the 60's. We didn't much touch each other. A member of Chubby Checker's entourage described the twist as:

 "It's like putting out a cigarette with both feet, and wiping your bottom with a towel, to the beat of the music."

Other dances popular in the 1960's were The Mashed Potato, The Monster Mash, The Monkey, The Dog, The Frug, The Pony, The Swim, The Hitchhike, and the Jerk. I knew how to dance a few of those. And I imagine if there was any video evidence of me doing those dances I would like to see it destroyed. Did you do any of these dances when growing up?

However when I met Richard I was introduced to a completely  different type of dance styles. He waltzed, polka-ed, fox-trotted, tangoed and such. He was able to finally teach me to waltz. And I could waltz with him. (Because he let me lead). But I never learned the other dances. Whenever we went out, where there would be dancing, Richard never sat. There were a plethora of ladies that wanted to dance with him. And he obliged them all. The man loved to dance.

We would often dance around our dining room. Much to the embarrassment of our kids. But we did it anyway.  We even learned to do some country-line dancing in the years we danced together.

But to get back to what sparked my memory of our dancing was The Battle of the Bands over at Angels Bark. She featured the song Proud Mary. This was a song that Richard and I OFTEN danced to. And there were times I thought I would drop before we got to the end of it. Now tell me which version do you like better? We danced to both! And Ike and Tina's is the one I thought would never end. My favorite is CCR, without a doubt.






27 comments:

  1. I'm going with CCR too. How fun the two of you danced (at least some) and that Richard enjoyed it so much. I have two left feet, never could quite get the rhythm of dancing :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that great of a dancer either Betty! But I like to move with the music. And that was always good enough for Richard!!

      Delete
  2. I like both versions, but CCR's is my favorite. I can twist, learned to do the pony and the swim. My first experience with dancing was waltzing with my Daddy. Then a friends daddy taught us how to jitterbug at a slumber party. In high school, I had a semester of folk dancing for PE. I could fly with the Virgina Reel and I think that's when I decided dancing was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing is fun, isn't it? And I agree with you...CCR is my favorite too!

      Delete
  3. CCR, for sure. I wonder if Tina ever sang that song on her own. She's some talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tina Turner is very talented and when she sang it was time to stop and listen...

      Delete
  4. I'm a kitchen dancer myself, but I would like to learn ballroom dancing someday. Problem is, I'm not the most coordinated person in the world :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not coordinated either Susan. But I love just moving with the music!

      Delete
  5. I love CCRs version but more than that I love your story about dancing. Frank is a dancer as well and has taught me how to dance a bit. We love going dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. Oh how I wish we could have met you and Frank years ago when Richard had still been healthy enough to dance. It would have been so much fun going out together!

      Delete
  6. Hey Hey Paula...love this post...we are 60's Gals for sure. I would have been one of the Plethora's lined up to dance with Richard. I was and still am the Dance Nut, and my husband has always given it a good go as long as I lead...LOL! We even took Ballroom lessons and really enjoyed the waltz, foxtrot and all...at least I did. What a neat memory you shared with yours and Richards dance story. As for Proud Mary...CCR for me has better dance musicality, but WOW...Tina Turner has it hands down for putting on a Proud Mary Show.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I have had Hey, Hey Paula sang to me a lot. LOL. Yep all about the 60's! I agree that Tina's version of Proud Mary is excellent for putting on a show!

      Delete
  7. I prefer CCR to Ike and Tina . . . though Ike had beautiful low notes. Fun dancing memories for you. The kinds may have been embarrassed to see you dancing in the dining room, but I think it's good to see parents enjoying their time with each other. Kids need to miow what thwt looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids definitely knew what it was like to watch Richard and I enjoy each other! LOL!

      Delete
  8. You can never go wrong with CCR!
    I'm a bit younger than you and, while I know what those dances are, I never did them. Though, thanks to Special Education Gym, I did learn the hand jive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love the hand jive too. And the hully gully! Oh the memories!

      Delete
  9. Not going to pick a favorite. I have heard of the Twist, but not all of the other dances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay! It's not a requirement. Just for fun!

      Delete
  10. It absolutely warms my heart to know that my post evoked such wonderful memories for you!! Your post made me smile. What fabulous times you had with Richard. I love to dance too but only on my own terms. I'm more of a fast dancer and I can't lead at all. I'd never be able to learn ballroom dancing. My mom used to dance: she won jitterbug contests and knew all the ballroom dances. I LOVE the Twist! That is such a fun dance.
    What incredible memories you have and I loved hearing about how you guys danced around the dining room. What fun!
    Thanks so much for mentioning my blog/battle of the bands post Paula. I really appreciate it. I'm so glad that it had that effect on you. <3
    My fav, btw, is CCR. I like that one because it's the best one for singing along. I like to sing to the music...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant I can't FOLLOW at all. I'm a leader and not a good one at that! :)

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU! Michele for giving me the memories to write this post. I enjoyed dancing down memory lane. Wish I still had my beloved dance partner to share it with. Richard could really jitterbug too. I never learned. We did win a twist contest once on board a party boat in the Caribbean because he was a twisting fool! Won a bottle of the nastiest rum punch I ever drank!

      Delete
  11. What a great post, Paula :) I loved going to 60's night when I was at Uni - I could do the Twist all the way to the floor and back When I visited my roommate back in the States she and I entered a 60's dance competition at a Georgetown club and came in 3rd!! Even though my poor hubby has two left feet we still like to have a bop together when we get the chance. I have to admit I didn't even know of CCR's version - this song has always been Ike & Tina's!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proud Mary was written by John Fogerty and first performed by his band Creedence Clearwater Revival. Then it was recorded by Tina and Ike and became one of her most well-known songs. Happy you enjoyed the post. I sure enjoyed the memories!!

      Delete
  12. I listen to the CCR version more than the Ike and Tina version. I don't think I really have a preference. My parents raised me on the classics: the Beatles, the Monkees, CCR, Mamas and the Papas, Elvis, etc.

    Also, if there's music, I am probably also dancing. :-)

    Visiting from the Road Trip A to Z
    http://missdragonlady.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I've NO coordination, - and coupled with the mere suggestion that people might be looking at me (horrors!) - I've always preferred to do move in time in whatever chair happened to be nearby. That's so cool that at least you tried! ... and so sweet that Richard's taste in dance spanned so many genres!

    PS - I'm no Tina Turner fan ... CCR, hands down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A drink or two always helped me with the "people looking at me " thing!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!