Monday, June 8, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook June 8th Edition

For Today...

Today is Monday, June 8, 2015. We are almost half way through this year!


Outside my window...

Outside my window, summer is exploding. The sun is shining. The sky is a beautiful clear blue. No clouds. No chances of rain this week. It is 77* on it's way to 93*. Humidity is only 57% so it is not too bad today. I hope the weather where you are is as beautiful as it is here today!


I am thinking...

I am thinking of the quote "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." This quote is credited to Charles Dederich, as a self-help mantra, from the 1960's, to aid the recovering drug-addict. I am finding it helpful in my on-going grief. I wake up each morning muttering to myself; "today is the first day of the rest of your life." Aren't we lucky to get to start over everyday and decide how we want the rest of our life to be.


I am thankful...

I am thankful that I get to wake up each day. And that I get to decide how the day is going to be....for me!


I am wearing...

A deep blue tee shirt with black yoga shorts.


I am creating...

This blog post!


I am going...

I am going to research the cost of contact lenses online. I just called to reorder Darian's from our local optometrist and the cost has gone up to $54.00 for a box of 6. He has a different prescription for each eye so I have to order two boxes. I am sure I can find them cheaper online. Wish me luck!


I am wondering...

I am wondering when the girls will start for home from Lake Table Rock. They will be home later today. I am anxious to hear what they thought of their first experience at High School church camp.


I am reading...

I am reading American Sniper by Chris Kyle (and a couple of ghost writers whose names I cannot remember). I'll review it for you when I have finished it!
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping to get the laundry caught up today. I didn't wash any clothes over the weekend. And that means it has piled up.


I am learning...

I am learning that memorizing James 1 is harder than the previous verses I memorized. I wish they would break them down into smaller verses. I could break it down myself, but then I couldn't use ScriptureTyper to help with memorizing. I haven't quite got last weeks down pat and it is time to move to the next!! But I'll keep plugging away.




http://donotdepart.com/register-to-memorize-james-1
click


 





               
 





In my kitchen...
 
 
Monday... Beef and noodles
 
Wednesday...Brats with chips and pickles
 
Thursday...Harley's Hamburger Helper
 
Friday...Shrimp Pasta Salad (from last week)
 
Saturday...Cream Cheese Chicken
 
Sunday...Spaghetti with Italian Sausage




 
 


 
 




A favorite quote for today...










 
This also ties into my word for 2015 which is Change!

 







 


One of my favorite things...

I like to decorate the mantle in the dining room for the holidays. This should cover Flag Day and Fourth of July!


 


Post Script

My post script this week is to direct you to one of my favorite sites to find recipes for my weekly menu. Please visit Life In The Lofthouse. Holly is a young wife and mother who also works for Pillsbury to create recipes. She covers a wide variety of food and I have yet to try a recipe of hers that I don't like. It is real food for real families. If she says her family loved it then I know my family will love it. Go check out some of her recipes.


I will link with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog when she puts the link up. Maybe later today.
 






****************************

24 comments:

  1. I enjoyed American Sniper. Curious to what you thought.
    I did all my laundry yesterday with one load still in the dryer for me when I get home from work. The cream cheese chicken sounds interesting....
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe is one of my very favorites. My family cannot get enough of it!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to check out that blog with the recipes; always looking for different things to cook. Son gets his contacts online. He too has a different prescription for each eye. I want to say that he gets six months' worth for about $96. Looking forward too to how your grand daughters enjoyed camp.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found the contacts as cheap as $64. for six months so far. Going to do a bit more research. I sure never thought I was over-paying at the optometrist. The girls LOVED camp and were not even happy to be coming home. LOL! Can you imagine that? You will love that blog for easy recipes, Betty

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the link to the menu-planning blog. Very interesting to read and I like all the help I can get. On my days off, I don't even make menu plans until I hit my grocery store see what the butcher has reduced. Doing that cuts my meat budget by more than half! I have been reading your blog long enough to know you change the decorations on your mantle for holidays, but I think this might be the first time I've seen a photo of the mantle. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to save on meat too. I am lucky in that my 'adopted' daughter and her husband give me quite a bit of meat from his dad's farm. Saves a ton of money. Most of it is hamburger but occasionally there are roasts and steaks too. I think there might be some pictures of my other holiday mantels on my blog but I haven't done a very good job of tagging things to make them easy to find. I am going back through the post SLOWLY to fix that issue.

      Delete
  4. Love the mantel decorations. Who is the young serviceman in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara! That is a picture of my husband when he was a young solider. The flag in the case is from the military part of his funeral last July! In the lower part of the case is his American Legion cap on one side and his Boy Scout Badge sash on the other side. Very special memories there!

      Delete
  5. "This is the first day of the rest of my life" is an excellent quote for anyone going through a hard time. I suffer with chronic migraines (which is another part of the reason I'm doing this soundtrack feature... to work out which stuff still causes me pain, so I can get rid of it), and there are times when it really is/was day to day.

    I saw the movie American Sniper, but I haven't read the book. Curious to see what you think about it.

    As for you liking the idea of the soundtrack series. If you'd like to begin posting, let me know and I'll add your name to the link list.

    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a great comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet seen the movie American Sniper. We will after I finish the book. I plan to come back to your blog and do some more reading. It might be therapeutic for me too! I may participate in the Soundtrack series. I'll let you know.

      Delete
  6. Hi! Summer is exploding here too finally, though we are having lots of rain still. it is so good to see leaves and flowers and no snow! I hope you manage to find a better place to get the contacts from, that is expensive! Who was the camping trip? I hope they had a great time! I am going to check out that website! I find it so frustrating to get a magazine or book, only to find out that the family friendly recipes are so stuffed with crazy ingredients etc, and there is no way my kids would ever eat them! I commented the other day to my dh, that soon the days would be getting shorter....that is an awful thought! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend Ellie! I am happy to see you today. Yes, check out this blog for good family recipes without all the crazy ingredients. I have found that if her family likes it, mine usually does. But I do not have any picky eaters here, thank God!

      Delete
  7. I've always loved Mr. Dederich's quote (but never knew its author until now). I dunno; it seems there's something so cleansing about a brand-new day ... so many chances.

    The movie, American Sniper, made such an emotional impact on me. I'll be curious to hear your take on the book.

    PS - That's pretty cool how you've incorporated Richard's personal treasures with the flag. They were so very close, I might want to do something like that for my son, using his grandfather's personal effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't quite have it set up how we want it (Richard's flag and etc) but I wanted to put it on the mantle for Flag Day and the 4th. So I will work it over afterwards. This will go to Darian for his memories after I am through treasuring it!

      Delete
  8. American Sniper is on my to read list. That chicken cordon bleu casserole sounds yummy! I love your mantle! It seems that you are having a better week this week!! Until next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a better week Jodi. They seem to come like that. I will be having a good week when out of the blue I am slammed with grief. Hope your week is good too!

      Delete
  9. You'll have to let us know where the cheapest contacts were. I only know about 1-800-CONTACTS. No idea if they are cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet checked into 1-800-contacts. Will do that tonight! I will share with where I find the best deal.

      Delete
  10. Ughgh... half way through this year already! Time flies too fast these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't read American Sniper but I did see the movie. Amy told me that the wife has written a book about Chris that deals more with him as a family man/husband/father than as a soldier. I would like to read that also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His wife wrote some pieces of this book that I am reading. I haven't seen the movie!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!