Monday, June 22, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook June 22nd Edition


For Today...
 
Today is June 22, 2015. Yesterday was the 11 month anniversary of Richard's death. I think that will explain my upsurges of grief lately. Just so hard to believe it has almost been a year. It seems like only yesterday and my house looks like he just stepped away. I have to get started doing something about his things!!


Outside my window...
 
Outside my window it is summer in Kansas. Hot! Blue skies. Sun shine. Hot! Light winds blowing hot air. It is hot! 95* with 45% humidity. We are supposed to reach a high of 100* today. I am sure it will happen.


I am thinking...
 
I having been thinking of Richard today. We celebrated our first Father's Day without him and it was bittersweet. Justin came over and spent the day with us. We released balloons for Richard. We cooked chicken kabobs on the grill and ate them with corn on the cob and lettuce salad. It was all very good! Richard would have loved how the day went. I hope he was close.


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful for air-conditioning. Can you image living without it. When I grew up we did not have A/C in our house. Sometimes we had a water cooler. Mostly we did not. We had fans and open windows. I remember one time mom hanging wet sheets and blowing a fan through them to cool us off. Summers were hot. But we survived. Maybe we have just become a pampered nation. But I love my A/C! Don't you?


I am hearing....
 
I am hearing General Hospital in the background. Harley is chilling in front of the TV today. She had early a.m. basketball practice and came home hot and tired. She is 15 now and right at that age to enjoy a good soap. Do you watch the soaps anymore. I hardly ever do. All the good ones are off the air!
 


I am creating...
 
I am creating my post and my weekly menu. Are you feeling creative? Share with us what you are up to!


I am going...
 
I am going to clean the kitchen and do a few loads of laundry later today. Nothing too strenuous because it is just too hot!


I am wondering...
 
I am wondering how Darian is doing today in the heat. I hope he is staying hydrated. He is still loving his summer job (he's working for a lawn-mowing service) and especially loves it on payday. He has a nice tan (although it is of the Farmer variety, if you know what I mean). He rarely grumbles about the heat. He comes home hot and tired at the end of the day. That is good for all teens, don't you think?


I am reading...
 
I am still reading American Sniper. Almost finished. Then I'll share my review. A sneak peek....I don't think I would have liked this guy if I had met him in person.
 


 


 
 


 


In my kitchen...
 
In the kitchen this week we are keeping it simple. Harley chose most of the menus for each day. She has become very helpful in the kitchen.
 
Monday...Fish sticks and tater tots
 
Tuesday...Omelets
 
Wednesday...Grilled cheese and tomato soup
 
Thursday...Harley's Hamburger Helper
 
Friday...Chicken sandwiches and chips
 
Saturday...Green Bean Soup (Paige requested)
 
Sunday...Cream Cheese Chicken
 
 
I want to share a recipe with you here:
 
 
 
 
 

Italian Bread, Sliced
Tomato, Sliced 
Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced
Pesto
Olive Oil

For each sandwich, brush olive oil on 1 side of 2 slices of bread.  Flip bread olive oil side down and brush each with pesto.  Layer tomatoes and cheese on one of the slices and top with the other.  Place on a griddle or in a fry pan over med high heat with a cast iron skillet on top of the sandwich to weigh it down.  Cook until bread is golden and cheese is melted.

 
This recipe is from Wendy's Blog A Day in the Life on the Farm. Wendy blogs about food! And life in Michigan. And food! And most of the recipes makes my mouth water. When we have grilled cheese this week I'll make a couple of these to see what my kids think. I may have trouble getting them to try pesto. She has a recipe for pesto on her site if you want to make your own.
 




A favorite quote for today...
 
 
 
 
 
 
Not a world-shattering famous quote. But I'll take going to the ocean anyway I can get it. I would love to hear the roar and feel the spray of salt water on my face.

 
 
 

A peek into one of my days...
 

Harley and granny....(egads I need makeup!)


Darian sent a message to Papa on his balloon
 


One of my favorite things...
 
One of my favorite things is seeing how far Harley has come with her photography. She loves her camera. I have signed her up for a beginning camera course later this summer. She took a picture of this wasp on the jelly-feeder yesterday. See that bit of cotton stuck on the cup? We have piles of that stuff all around from the Cottonwood trees. I will be so glad when it is all gone. It gets into everything. I have to sweep the garage daily and the A/C gets packed with the stuff. But the majestic cottonwoods all around us are beautiful! 




Post Script
This week I want to share with you my friend Betty's Blog : A Bench With a View. Betty is one of my staunchest supporters. I can always expect to be up-lifted by comments from Betty. She writes about her life on A Bench With a View. She recently moved from California to Arizona so there is usually some amazing photography on her posts. I met Betty during the A to Z Challenge a couple of years in the past. Love you Betty!!



I am linking with The Simple Woman's Blog. Take a few moments and pay some of the other ladies a visit. The will appreciate the blog love! 



****************************


36 comments:

  1. Aww, the balloons look great. Harley is BEAUTY. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I take all the help I can get with great food ideas. Such a hard-working young man whomlives with you! Darian has such a good work ethic. He has long hours. As for you, I hope this last month of your first year without Richard is very, very kind to you. Good thing we can only do that first year one day at a time, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding this last month to be very hard. I have been so weepy lately. Harley is a beauty. They say she looks like me but I can't really see it! I am very proud of the hard-working young man my Darian has become!

      Delete
  2. I loved that you released the balloons with message for Richard. I hope we keep that tradition at my family reunions.
    Harley is so pretty and yall resemble quite a bit!!
    Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holli. We try to release balloons in memory of our loved ones who have passed and been cremated since we can't honor them with flowers. This is the first time anyone sent a message. I think it was healing for Darian. Thank you for Harley.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Thanks for the shout out Paula! What a wonderful way to celebrate Richard's life with the balloons. No soaps for me but when my kids were young I loved Ryan's Hope and The Young and the Restless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Wendy! You know how much I love your recipes. I used to watch Young and the Restless....back in the day!

      Delete
  4. Harley's photo is amazing, she captured it at just the right moment :)
    Popping by on the A to Z Road Trip
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. Enjoy your Road Trip!

      Delete
  5. I'm sure Richard was with you for Father's Day.

    I was younger than Harley when I got into soaps. Quit them in college. I think our collective attention spans have changed, which is why soaps are kind of fading out.

    Love a/c. I don't know how we lived without them, but I hear that having to deal with not-ideal temps is better for our bodies. I don't care. I'd rather have the a/c.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that too Liz. Going from the extremely hot weather into A/C is supposedly not good for us. I think I'll risk it!

      Delete
  6. I loved this post. I think the Women's Daybook posts are my favorites--like a little slice of a bunch of parts of your life. Great recipe. And ouch, it's HOT here too. 101 today, but fortunately, our humidity is around 28-30%. Still freakin' hot though. Love me some AC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, have you grown your hair out? Love it. How was the trip to Puerto Rico! I miss your blog. It is really, really hot isn't it!

      Delete
  7. I love my A/C!! I am curious as to why you think you wouldn't like Chris Kyle. I liked the movie, and now need to read the book. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be reviewing his book soon and I'll tell you why I don't think I would like him! It dismays my Marine loving grandson. But I can't help it!

      Delete
  8. I was just commenting to Tom (for the thousanth time), "How did people down here ever live w/o air conditioning?!" I recall my mother's stories of being in nursing school (Minneapolis) and the girls dragging their mattresses out to the fire escape at night, just to try and get some relief from the heat.

    Soaps? Oh girl, I used to be totally hooked on Days of our Lives. We even made sure to tape the shows while on vacation.

    Great photo of you and Harley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hooked on All My Children and thought my life would end when they took it off the air. But as you can see I'm still here. LOL! Thank you for the compliment. Can you see how gray I have gotten?

      Delete
  9. Oh Paula, that was so sweet for the shout out :) Thank you so very much!!!

    That was a nice thing to do with releasing balloons yesterday on Father's Day. Sadly you are almost through with the year of firsts since Richard passed. Sad he wasn't there to enjoy the wonderful food cooked; sounds delicious!!

    I remember growing up in high school we watched One Life to Live and General Hospital. Oh the fun of trying to keep up with them (but really they don't do much advancement of plots it seems like from week to week).

    So cute with you and Harley; what a great picture! It is neat she is helping with meal planning and cooking. We've gone really light with what we are eating these days with the hot weather, so much more comfortable than eating a heavier meal.

    Hopefully Darian's employer knows to keep an eye on his employees with the heat, especially those young and inexperienced.

    I too don't know how people last without air conditioning. They probably don't do much when it is so hot inside the house I think.

    Again, thanks for the shout out!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't sweet, Betty. It's the truth! You are my bestest blogging buddy ever!!
      You have to know that I love your blog and I want all my readers to love it too. Yes, I think his boss watches out for them in this heat. I have talked with him quite a bit and tell him to be sure to hydrate and even salt his lunch a bit heavier than usual. He came home early today since it was so hot out. I was thankful the bosses decided to do that.

      Delete
  10. Hi, Paula. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you today. I remember all those "firsts" too after Alan died. When I got to the year mark, it seemed to get better, at least a little. I was born in Kansas but don't remember any of it. My childhood was spent in upstate NY - no air conditioning but just open windows, as you said. AC all the way down here in Florida!! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie for visiting and for praying. One can always use the extra prayers. I visited your blog recently and see that we have a lot in common!

      Delete
  11. Paula, I always appreciate how much you share with us. I have been able to feel the pain in your heart all 11 months. (I think of it as a hole in your heart.) I'm so glad you have the grand children there with you to keep you smiling (and cooking!) It's a warm, humid day in New Jersey -- a perfect day to enjoy the birds and trees and flowers. While Bo sleeps, I'll be out on the patio. Wish you could be here for a glass of iced tea with me. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Nancy. I would love to share a glass of tea with you. I think of you and Bo often and the struggles you are facing! I would love to visit New Jersey and go to the shore.

      Delete
  12. Hi Paula! Oh I miss you ( and appreciate your emails SO VERY MUCH!) There is a little taste of the ocean coming your way once I can find all the bits I need. You most certainly do not need make up, you are a beauty and have a beautiful heart! I think that sending off those balloons is a super idea, and of course Richard was close. As for figuring out what to do with his things, there should be no rush to do so, when you feel ready, do a bit at a time. It is a very difficult thing to do, and be gentle with yourself as you do it. I agree, teens need to get really worn out and tired - I am finding it is the same way with puppies! As for that hot.....would you mind sending some of it here please? We have had two hot days...in the low seventies!!!!!!!! We did not have AC until I was in my mid teens, I remember always having the curtains closed, ( and my mom being mad if we had the door open for too long!) and fans going full tilt all the time. We had AC in our house in Guelph which was a necessity, it was so hot and humid. Here we don't have it, it really is only necessary for a few days here and there, but on those days, I miss it! I hope you have a wonderful week, sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you as well Ellie. I will be happy to have a taste of the ocean from you!! I am sure I will take my time with his things. I've already taken a year! LOL! Yes, raising teens and puppies are probably much the same. I wish I could send you some heat. It is already 91* here today. We got over 100* yesterday and have another week of this intense heat to go. Have a great, big wonderful week!

      Delete
  13. I used to watch General Hospital and Another World with my grandmother. Also got caught up in The Young and The Restless and night-time soap, Dallas. But I haven't watched in years. To be honest, I don't think it's a very healthy pastime. Lots of immorality and an improper view of what love and relationships are like.

    Harley has a great eye! So great of you to sign her up for lessons; I see a lot of potential there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if there are healthy pastimes for teens anymore. Well, healthy in our eyesight's! They have so much electronically available to them. And teen girls don't have realistic ideas about romance anyway. They will learn. Thank you for visiting me today!

      Delete
  14. I am deeply sorry about Richard. As I am new to your blog, I didn't know about your grief. I went to read some of your entries on that journey, and I want you to know I admire your strength and your tenacity.

    I am definitely a fan of a/c. I can't remember not having it, but I do remember having the window units instead of central growing up. Today...I have a window unit in the house we own now. We originally planned to get central when we bought the place, but that first of year $90-$115 utility bills swayed my thinking a bit.
    and no central, but the trade off is my utility bills look much better in the winter time than most.

    PS: I love Betty, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting today! Yes, I like those lower bills too but it just doesn't happen in the heat of summer as I like to be cool as well.

      Delete
    2. haha I forgot to delete part of that comment when I edited.

      Delete
    3. I hadn't even noticed that you had edited the comment!!

      Delete
  15. So sorry to read about Richard. I can only imagine how hard it is it miss someone you love! But what a great way to celebrate with family and food and balloons. I'm not sure I could ever live in Kansas! Too hot! I'm in Maine and we rarely get above 90 for any extended period of time. Usually just a few days of summer. I complain (and whine) at 80! LOL Until this summer we didn't have a window AC, but my new husband can't stand ANY heat or humidity so he brought his with him when we married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a year on a roller coaster, for sure. 80 would seem like a breath of fresh air to us here right now LOL

      Delete
  16. These are fast becoming my favorite blog posts. I'm sorry for your pain, I guess it never really goes away. I keep thinking that next year will be better. I'm sure it will in many ways, but still, the sadness will be there. I love the Father's Day balloons, so great for your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it ever really goes away, Inger. Sorry! I wish that I could tell you that it does. Some days are better than others And some are just plain hard to get through. I imagine it is just that I will learn to deal with it in a better way in the future....hope you are doing okay! I think of you often!

      Delete
  17. While I cannot fathom what it must be like to have lost someone so close to you, I think the balloons were a beautiful tribute. :) This post was a very fun look into your life. You will have to update with how well you liked the book American Sniper. And those mozzarella and tomato paninis!?! Yum! That is one of my favorite summer treats! :) I will definitely check out Betty's blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will write a book review when I am finished with the book Mandy! I am almost there. We had take-out tonight so the Panini's will take another day! Thanks for visiting me!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!