Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Storyteller



Overview From Barnes and Nobel

Some stories live forever . . .
Sage Singer is a baker. She works through the night, preparing the day’s breads and pastries, trying to escape a reality of loneliness, bad memories, and the shadow of her mother’s death. When Josef Weber, an elderly man in Sage’s grief support group, begins stopping by the bakery, they strike up an unlikely friendship. Despite their differences, they see in each other the hidden scars that others can’t.
Everything changes on the day that Josef confesses a long-buried and shame­ful secret and asks Sage for an extraordinary favor. If she says yes, she faces not only moral repercussions, but potentially legal ones as well. With the integrity of the closest friend she’s ever had clouded, Sage begins to question the assumptions and expectations she’s made about her life and her family. In this searingly honest novel, Jodi Picoult gracefully explores the lengths to which we will go in order to keep the past from dictating the future.



It is no secret that I love Jodi Picoult. She writes stories that are deep and dark! This story is about forgiveness. Something I struggle with. It is not easy to forgive. Especially the big things in life! Like the Holocaust. She writes in such a way that I feel like I am right there in the corner experiencing everything the  characters are going through. I'm hidden. But I can feel the struggles. I felt the happiness in the beginning of the story. I felt the fear when the soldiers kicked in the doors and rounded them all up. I felt the shame as they were forced to live in the Jewish section of town. I smelled the richness of the baking bread. I could almost taste the cinnamon and the chocolate. I shivered when they were freezing. I cried when they cried. I held my breath right along with the sister who was holding her baby close while in the hidey-hole. I coughed to help cover his cries. Living along side of Minka in the concentration camp helped me see what the Jews went through at the hands of the German soldiers. I lived her pain when things weren't going well. And I shared her joy at the little things that brought her joy.

But the Holocaust story is only part of the book. The book is about Sage, a girl scarred by a car accident that killed her mother. A girl who is afraid of getting hurt again. A girl who is told a story by a really old German guy who is seeking forgiveness for his part in the Holocaust. And then he seeks her help to kill him. There is a story of monsters (other than the Holocaust) that is woven throughout the book. I didn't care much for that but it's symbolism was apparent.

I give this book 5 stars. Well worth reading. Have you read stories of the Holocaust? Do you think anything like that could ever happen again?



 


18 comments:

  1. I read this book last month and I loved it!! It was one of my favorite books. I've read every book from her so far and I cant wait for her next one to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read all of her books yet. But this one was very good

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see a post from you considering the storms in your neck of the woods. Your most recent read sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting Gram. Yes we are safe. The storms were about 50 miles from us. Looks like all through Saturday more are predicted.

      Delete
  3. She writes difficult books. Thanks for the Holocaust heads-up. Now I know this book isn't for me. I can't take stories of suffering (I'm way too empathetic, and anything tangentially related makes me physically ill).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does write about difficult subjects. I understand how you feel about stories of suffering. But it is so important for us to know what happened so that we can prevent it from happening again.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to look for this book as I do enjoy her writing. Interesting theme! I fear we could have another Holocaust, I guess in other parts of the world they have had similar but we might not be as aware as that one so many years ago.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will most definitely like this one Betty. I so hope there is never another Holocaust anywhere in the world. Yes, there are places in our world where people are not treated right! It is just not right

      Delete
  5. To be real honest, a few years ago I struggled to finish one of Jodi's books. She's a marvelous writer, yes; and this subject matter is dear to my heart. Perhaps I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be interested to know which book it was Myra. This one was a good one though!

      Delete
    2. Dang, I had to look back at Jodi's website. I'm pretty sure it was Vanishing Acts.

      Delete
    3. I don't think I have read that one Myra!

      Delete
  6. It seems like a have been reading book after book of WWII stories. Can something like this happen again? I think it is happening in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. East right now. People are being persecuted and killed every day. They are told what they have to wear, how they have to worship, what they must believe and how and where they will live. This is an incredibly evil world in which we live.

      Delete
    2. I've been reading and watching a lot about WW II as well Wendy. I think there are things like this going on in the Middle East too. I just don't think (or at least we haven't heard) about them killing large masses of people at one time. It is an evil world!

      Delete
  7. History can repeat itself unfortunately. We need to keep the stories going. I just had a great person in my life who just passed. Both he and his wife survived the Holocaust. They wrote a small book for their family to read and it is scary but the truth needs to be told. Those tattoos are real and they stood for death. Now in the middle east, they just behead. Just behead. Intervening is due there so not another is killed in this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW. think I will read this book. You got me going on it.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry for your friends! I cannot imagine having to live through the Holocaust. I hope you enjoy the book Katy!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!