Monday, May 11, 2015

The Silent Gift

Overview From Barnes and Nobel

From the creator/director of theLove Comes Softly film series--A story both bittersweet and heartwarming of a mother and her son...and of his unusual gift.

The decade of the 'thirties was a time of enormous uncertainty--for the world, for America, and in particular for one lonely, struggling mother and her disabled son. Their story is one of unyielding love and incredible sacrifices in the face of circumstances beyond belief.

But then The Gift appears...where has it come from, and why? How can a young boy who cannot communicate provide comfort and direction to seekers who learn of the special ability? Whatever the source, its presence brings a single shaft of light and hope to Mary and her beloved son, Jack....Will it be enough?
 
 
 
 
After I finished reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, I needed something that wasn't so deep and dark. So I set about looking at Nook books on Barnes and Nobel. I found this book, written my Michael Landon Jr. I didn't even realize until the end of the book, while reading notes about the authors, that this was the son of THE Michael J. Landon. You know the one. Little Joe on Bonanza. Or Charles Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie. I didn't know he had an author son. Did you?
 
I really, really liked this book. But it wasn't a light read. Which is what I was looking for. No sireeeee, it was not! The story takes place during the early 1930's, after the big Wall Street crash.  Times were very hard in America. Mary and her deaf-mute son, Jack,  escape from an abusive husband/father and the escapades begin. The plot took me on a roller coaster ride of a mother's love and her need to provide for her son and keep him hidden from his father. She discovers the son has a hidden 'gift'. It is this very gift that helps the father track them down, sends Mary to prison for kidnapping, helps the son escape and become lost, then deals with Mary trying to find him, after she spends 16 months in prison. Many twists and turns in the plot kept me reading instead of doing things I needed to do around the house. The plot was terrific. The characters were well-developed. The ending was unpredictable. Well, somewhat!
 
I highly recommend this book. It is a beautiful story about a mother's love and how she never gives up. I will not forget Mary and Jack for a long time to come. I got this book at Barnes and Nobel for my Nook at only $.99. Well worth the price

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, but I know the idea came from real life. When Landon, Jr. visited a church in Austin, Texas, someone told him that the pastor's young son was deaf. So, now that you finished your light reading, are you going back to something more intense or gripping? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that in one of the reviews I read but I was unable to find out much about it. Thanks for giving me the scoop! I am back to reading my normal genre now, Gram. A James Patterson, Alex Cross book

      Delete
  2. I am making a note now to add this to my book list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ordering it up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this and BookHub but I have so many books to read I passed it up; I think I'll go back and get it. Thanks for the review of it. I did see that it had been written by Michael Landon, Jr.; glad to know his children were just as talented as he was!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it Betty. Yes it is good to know he had talented children!

      Delete
  5. So glad I didn't skip over this review. Your enthusiasm is infectious! I'm going to ask Tom to download it on his Nook, and I won't feel so pressured to return a book to the library in a timely manner. (Whoops.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am glad you didn't skip it either! I thought you always read every single word that I write. LOL

      Delete
  6. So, now you need to find a light read. Sorry I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I am already well into my James Patterson book.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!