Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up



This #1 New York Times best-selling guide to decluttering your home from Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes readers step-by-step through her revolutionary KonMari Method for simplifying, organizing, and storing.
Despite constant efforts to declutter your home, do papers still accumulate like snowdrifts and clothes pile up like a tangled mess of noodles?
Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo takes tidying to a whole new level, promising that if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again. Most methods advocate a room-by-room or little-by-little approach, which doom you to pick away at your piles of stuff forever. The KonMari Method, with its revolutionary category-by-category system, leads to lasting results. In fact, none of Kondo’s clients have lapsed (and she still has a three-month waiting list). 
With detailed guidance for determining which items in your house “spark joy” (and which don’t), this international bestseller featuring Tokyo’s newest lifestyle phenomenon will help you clear your clutter and enjoy the unique magic of a tidy home—and the calm, motivated mindset it can inspire.

I wish I could tell you the reason it took me so long to read this 126 page book was because I was busy tidying up! But that is not true. This book just leaves me shaking my head. I guess I don't truly appreciate the Japanese way. Miss Kondo has been an organizing guru (her words) all her life. She used to organize her brother and sister's room for fun!! What???

Two things I learned from this book: 1.I don't appreciate the things I own enough. I do not thank my purse for the hard work it does for me. I have not allowed my socks time to have a vacation when they are not doing the job I purchased them to do. (tongue in cheek). 2. I never need to buy another organizing tool. There are plenty around my house.

However, with all that being said, I don't think the whole book is bad. One of the good things was the way in which she organizes by categories. I just don't know if I have the time it would require to take all the clothes in the house and pile them onto the floor and then touch each item separately as I asked: Does this bring me joy? And then move on to books, papers, mementos, etc. This would take me years and the mess while I was doing it would cause me too much stress.

I can't say whether I recommend this book or not. I did quite a bit of eye-rolling and head shaking my way through it! But I made it to the end. Now if it was a REAL book, not on my Nook, I would hold it up and ask: Did you bring me joy......nope! Onto the donate pile it goes.

Next post: My review of Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson.

12 comments:

  1. Best. Review. EVER! I will not be buying this one. Thanks for saving me the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting concept,however impractical

      Delete
  2. Your last sentence says it all and brought me joy!! I laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at this, Paula; it is interesting she has a 3 month waiting list. I've been known to talk to pets we have had, but never to my possessions, unless of course the computer when it was acting up. Thanks for the review; it did save me from buying the book :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It is very true. I talk to things in my house too but it is usually when something is not going right. I just couldn't get into her way of thinking about inanimate objects and praising them for how much they have helped me. But I wonder if the Japanese think differently about possessions than we do. And possibly that is the reason for the 3 month waiting list.

      Delete
  4. Organizing is great. I'm a big fan of going through and throwing out (or giving away). But a book is not going to make those that don't like these things do it better. It takes time. It takes focus. And it takes the desire to do it.

    And it usually takes someone holding the hand of the hopelessly cluttered to get them through. Then when they leave, the clutter returns. (I know this from experience.)

    I do have to take exception to your comment that a Nook book isn't a real book. It's real. But it won't be cluttering up your space...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Liz. And I think I like books that don't clutter up my space. I have so many books!!

      Delete
  5. Love your sense of humor, Paula. (I had to stop myself from chuckling aloud at my desk earlier today.)
    Methinks this 'revolutionary method' is little more than a fad. And the joke's on those who've probably spent mega bucks to join in her little revolution.
    ... just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right Myra. I would love to be a mouse in the corner when these people are de-cluttering their homes. It would be a hoot!

      Delete
  6. Another heartfelt thanks for saving me having to buy the book!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!