Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Ten on Tuesday

Yesterday was a beautiful spring day. Today, not so much. Cloudy and dreary. And cold. What the heck. It's past noon and only 55*. I know that some of you might not call that cold. But it's cold to me.

Sometimes on Tuesdays I join up with Carol Knits Ten on Tuesday. Today she wants us to list Ten Things You Would Say if You Gave a Commencement Address.( I want to add that this is a college commencement ceremony I am speaking at)




  1. Congratulations. It wasn't easy to get through college. I am proud of each and everyone of you.
  2. Get a job! It probably won't be the one you spent the past four (or six, or eight) years studying for. But that is okay. You have to start somewhere.
  3. Pay Back your student loans. You are the one that benefited from them. Not your parents. Not the government. You! And you need to pay back the money. So others can be given the same chance. Don't expect someone to forgive the loans.
  4. Thank Mom and Dad. Thank them often. Thank them loudly. Thank them! You probably got some kind of help from them. So be appreciative.
  5. Remember that it might take years to get to the top of the ladder. To buy the best house on the block. To drive the nicest car. You don't have to start at the top. You have to earn your way to the top.
  6. Give Back. Help with a charity. Join the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization. There are a lot of kids out there that aren't given the same privileges as you. So give back! Pay it forward. Be thankful.
  7. Have fun in life. But remember you aren't a college kid anymore. Time to act like an adult. If you act like one you will be treated like one! Life is short. Don't make it shorter by drinking and driving, chugging, (or whatever it is called now), acting crazy and foolish. Leave that behind and join the adult world. Set an example.
  8. Only buy what you can afford to buy. Don't use credit cards. They will lead you down an ugly road. I know from experience.
  9. Mom and Dad still know what they are talking about. It is okay to ask for their advice. But ultimately what you do with your life is up to you.
  10. All eyes are now on you. Go out and make the world a better place.

Maybe some of my advice sounds a bit tough. Maybe even harsh to some. I am a firm believer in helping kids through college. I don't believe in paying their way. They need to earn it and appreciate the education they are getting. And once the schooling is over it is time to enter the adult world. What would your commencement remarks include? Do you believe parent owe their kids an education? Or do you believe kids should do as much as they can to help themselves?

Let's join Carole Knits and see what others are saying.

28 comments:

  1. Get a job! And Thank my and Dad! are must-dos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My advice too Sherry! Especially getting a job. That is all the thanks I need as a mom! LOL

      Delete
  2. Great list! I especially like #3, I have to say.

    I don't believe parents owe their children an education - if they want to and can afford it, that's fine, but everyone does not have that luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bridget. # 3 came about because on THE VIEW this morning Whoopi was advocating that the government needed to forgive all these student loans. I was sitting there scowling at the TV. Why should the government forgive the loan. The money was used and the student gains the benefit. Now pay it back!

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with you, Paula. The students knew what they were signing up for when they accepted the money. Forgiving the loans doesn't teach them anything about responsibility. They can bet the credit card companies and banks won't be so forgiving about failure to pay.

      Delete
    3. Exactly my point Susan! But I don't think many of them had any idea what they were signing up for. They just signed up. Now it's time to face the music

      Delete
  3. Such a great list, and not just for graduates! I know some adults that could benefit from paying more attention to numbers 7, 8, and 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I get time later today, I might chime in with my own commencement address :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Paula! Your commencement address was a lot better than others I have heard in "real life." Great advice you gave and really by the time a person is out of college they are at least 22 years old, definitely time to be an adult! I agree to help with college but not to pay it exclusively; its not owed to kids I do believe.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on the same page Betty. But then that is why we are friends :)

      Delete
  6. Short and very to the point. When are you leaving for the first address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I don't think the graduates would want to listen to me!

      Delete
  7. And here's mine! http://notesfrominnisfree.blogspot.ca/2015/05/ten-on-tuesday-commencement-address.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours were great Susan. And thanks for mentioning me!

      Delete
  8. I think your advice is fabulous and there's not much I would/could add. Maybe a p.s. about not getting caught in emulating celebrities. That's a complete waste of time that seems rampant these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Carol...a complete waste of time

      Delete
  9. Great list. I remember meeting kids in college who were there because their parents wanted them there, not that they necessarily wanted to be there. I wonder how many of them eventually gradutated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son went to college with a few like that too. And as soon as they blew through all the parents money they either dropped out or were asked to leave.

      Delete
  10. A bit tough? Not a smidgen! :)
    I've no first-hand history, but suspect many grads have found themselves over their heads because Mom and Dad thought shielding their babies from any unpleasantness equaled love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I love you Myra! And I think you probably hit the nail on the head!

      Delete
  11. I grew up poor, went through college on a scholarship, but believe that parents need to help pay those college expenses. Any other money mess they get themselves into is their problem, but if you want your children to have a better life, then be prepared to help pay for their education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up poor as well. And if we went to college we paid our own way. For everything. There wasn't enough money for mom to pay for anything. I don't think it is true that I have to be prepared to pay for their education if I want them to have a better life. I think if they work and pay for it themselves they will have a better life!!

      Delete
  12. I'd probably have to pass up the speaking request....I showed up for my HS graduation, but not for my college one. haha

    But you've done well with yours...too bad you didn't get to tell them all that. Some very good thoughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would have been fun. I have told those things to my own however!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!