Monday, May 4, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook May 4th Edition

For Today...
 
Today is May 4, 2015. May 4th be with you!! I know I have said this before but where is this year going. May already!


Outside my window...
 
Outside my window is a beautiful May Day. The skies are brilliant blue. The sun is shining brightly. A soft breeze is blowing. And the Tornado sirens are blaring. It is the first Monday of the month. This is the day they are tested. Yes, ours works!!


I am thinking...
 
I am thinking about having lived in Kansas all my life (except for brief stints living in Oklahoma and Virginia) and I have never seen a tornado cloud with my own eyes. I am hiding in the closet. Like we are told. Richard used to stand in the driveway and watch the clouds. Of course, I would yell at him. Sometimes that worked. Usually not! We don't have a basement here. So our master bedroom closet is the tornado shelter inside our house. The smallest place that puts the most walls between us and the storm. Just like the weatherman says. Not outside in the driveway.


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful to never have witnessed a tornado first hand. The closest one ever came to our house was about 10 miles away. (I was hiding in the closet for that one). We didn't even get the high winds that day. Weather is an amazing phenomena, isn't it?  


I am wearing...
 
I am wearing shorts and tee shirt. My new uniform now that we are having temps in the low 80's.


I am creating...
 
I am creating, as usual, my daybook entry (in fact this is the second one for today. The one I had almost completed just went Poof!) I am also creating a space outside for all of the houseplants. Time to move them out. Do you move yours outside in the summer? I have my ficus tree right here beside me. And she is looking so sad. But three months outside and she will once again be a beautiful, majestic tree.


I am going...
 
I am going to photograph the ficus today and then again when I bring her back in. You will get to see an amazing transformation.


I am wondering...
I am wondering what I accomplished over the weekend. Oh that's right! Nothing! Except some movie watching with the kids. My oldest brother gave us boxes and boxes of DVD's. So we are wading through many movies. I haven't been much of a movie person over the years. So there are many I haven't seen. I will give you a short review here. Five stars for really, really good
 
 
Tae Guk Gi***A movie about the Korean War. It was dubbed over in English. A pretty decent take on the war from a Korean point of view.
 
Grace is Gone***A man's wife dies in the Gulf War and he is left to tell his two daughters. He runs away with them instead. (This one caused a watershed of tears at our house)
 
My Sister's Keeper****A movie based on a Jodi Picoult book of the same name. It is about a daughter that is born to be used to save her dying older sister's life through blood, bone marrow and etc. I have read the book. The ending of the movie is NOT the same as the book's ending. The book ended in a much more 'mind-blowing' manner.

The Cake Eaters*This is one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. No build-up. No ending. Was listed as a comedy, drama, romance. Wasn't anything funny about it. And a stupid name! However the performance by Kristen Stewart, of Twilight fame, was excellent. Roger Ebert gave this movie ****. Beats me as to why!


I am reading...

I am reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. It is a story about the Holocaust. So far I am liking the book.
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping to vacuum the living room and dining room today. Maybe do a load or two of laundry. Then going outside to clean off the patio! Wish me luck!


I am learning...

I am learning that I never quit learning. When we quit learning then I think life if nearly over. Do you feel that way? When I worked at the hospital, training new nurses, they often asked: When will I know all of this? My answer was always: Never! There is something new to learn every, single day as a nurse. And as a retired person too! By the way....Happy Nurse's Day...Wednesday, May 6, 2015 to all the nurses out there!


 


In my garden...

Harley's photo
The spirea bushes on the south side of the house are in bloom and they are giving us a spectacular view out the window this year. The picture was taken by Harley. She told me if I am going to continue to use her photos on my blog I have to give her credit. I think we have a budding photographer among us! LOL!




 



In my kitchen...

As I prepare for my venture into Dr. Oz Rapid Weight Loss plan, I need to clean out some things in the kitchen. So the menu this week will reflect that.

Monday... Lasagna Tossed Salad
Tuesday...Chili Dogs Potato chips
Wednesday...Kids eat at church 
Thursday...Harley is cooking Mexican Rice
Friday...Cheesy Chicken
Saturday...Celebrating Paige's 15th Birthday
Sunday...Mother's Day
 


 


A favorite quote for today...

 




Not a quote, but a poem I love. Isn't it a good reminder?







 
A peek into one of my days...

This week will be a rather quiet, dull week at our house. Nothing big going on. Winding down the school year. May 21 is the last day. Justin is training in New Mexico this week so I am hearing very little from him. I hope to work outside each day. And read a little. Take a few naps. Prepare myself for kids being home all summer.

 


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is to listen to music while I work outside. I have a really old Ipod with a Ipod speaker. I take it onto the patio and blast the music as I work. Love it!


From the board room...

 
I have had this pinned on my Where Have All the Flowers Gone board for the past three years. It came from Twiggy Studios. This pin has been re-pinned from my site 75 times. Crazy, huh? I made these flowers 3 years ago when I was in a flower crafting phase. We put them on headbands, purses, shoes, brooches. Thought you might like to make some. We all have old jeans, don't we? 
 


Post Script
This past week I have been spending a lot of time HERE getting ready for my entry into eating better. Check it out.


I am linking up with The Simple Woman's Blog.




****************************







 





______________________________

30 comments:

  1. Nice to see you again, didn't run into you this year doing a-z, even though I think I actually visited more people. I used a different blog this year, and am more positive about the challenge then I've been in other years. I wear a fitbit, thought I'd throw that out to you since you mentioned the diet/healthy eating thing. Are you familiar with it? I would be with you in the closet, hate storms! My hubby like yours ...goes outside to see things, makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandy! I have thought about you as well. Will pop on over to see what you are up to these days. I have heard of a fit/bit. But I am not into that side of the healthy thing yet!! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi! Visiting from Simple Woman's Daybook, you have a lovely blog! Jodi Picoult is a great author, I enjoy her books also. I find many times I prefer the book version over the movie version when they make them. One of my favorites that stays pretty true though is The Notebook from Nicholas Sparks. Love that movie and of course his books ;-) Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jill. Yes, I love the Notebook as well. I just watched the movie this year. I love the books betters too!

      Delete
  3. You test the tornado sirens on Mondays? I never heard off that. Interesting. We test them on the first Wednesday of the month. I have seen a very large tornado - much too close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first Monday of every month at 12:00 noon.

      Delete
  4. What a sweet poem!

    You never know what will interest some people. I once posted a recipe for pressure cooker green beans and for years it was the post with the most pageviews on my site. LOL. Your denim flowers look awesome.

    Lovely photo of the spirea. Good job, Harley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you from Harley Jerralea. I love your name

      Delete
  5. I so hate it when you are working on a blog post and it just goes poof and its gone! Frustrating! Our sirens go off on the first Friday of the month. I usually forget about them, and when it goes off it startles me!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so frustrating. Especially since I was almost done with it!

      Delete
  6. Happy Nurse's Day to you, Paula!! Nurses work hard and I truly respect them!! Tornados scare me, not that I've ever lived where they were, but the thought of them scares me. Glad you haven't see one "up close and personal."

    betyt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betty! They scare me too my friend!

      Delete
  7. My mom used to have a huge , massive spirea shrub in front of our porch at our house, and it was gorgeous, but I hate the way they smell! They are so beautiful though! Great photo, Harley! I totally am freaked out by tornadoes. I have been through two of them, one in my home town, and one not long ago, also back in Ontario. I was the next town over from our town, and had to rush home, I had my son with me. We raced home, and we looked out the window to see several little spouts swirling around in the valley beside us, it was so scary! We don't get tornadoes here and I am vey thankful, but I do love a good thunderstorm! I hope you have a terrific week! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not crazy about their smell either. Or when all the little flowers drop off. Otherwise I would bring great bouquets of them into the house. Tornadoes are very scary!

      Delete
  8. I've been hearing the May the 4th thing all...day...

    Funny what keeps getting repinned on Pinterest. The one from my boards is a strange little card that I don't even like all that much. But whatever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Sometime it is hard to understand. May the 4th be with you

      Delete
  9. Good luck with your eating plan. I really need to do something too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will jump start me Wendy. I need to go buy a scale. I have no idea what I weigh. The last time I weighed was 8 years ago when I last went to the doctor.

      Delete
  10. Just reading the word 'tornado' makes my knees feel they're turning to jelly. Years back in Texas when the storm sirens would go off, I'd beg my ex to just get in the car and go, go, go. I had this distorted rationale that if we could see it, we could out-run it. And what's weird? I fantasize about moving back to Texas ... or retiring in Alabama. And of course, both places are known for some horrific storms.

    Sounds like you're really psyching yourself up for Dr. Oz's regime! Yay! I'm no expert, but I think the mental part is as important - if not more so - than sticking it to your taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all of Texas through Kansas and beyond....Tornado Alley! Mental part is sometimes the hardest for me to do.

      Delete
  11. Great daybook! Our sirens are EVERY Wednesday at noon. We just had one touch down about a mile and a half from here 2 weeks ago. We caught some hail at my house. I am usually a cloud watcher but I had the grand baby that day so we waited it out on the garage steps . She played with her story app on my phone and was blissfully unaware of our close call! I love spring skies and all the flowers . Thanks for sharing ! I pray you do well on your new health journey too . I will go check it out ! I need to grab that wagon with both hand and join the band ! Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lora. Stay safe from those storms!

      Delete
  12. Enjoyed this relaxed post! Once I took my son in to stay at our deer camp. When I left our house it was clear as a bell. Got to the camp, things were nice. (About 10 miles away.) I helped him settle in and then took off for home. When I got about 5 miles from our house all I could smell was pine. I thought a tanker of Pine-sol had turned over. One of the worst tornadoes to hit our little area in ages had come through and torn things up all along the road! Some folks lost homes. I got to our house and found it in tact. I thanked and praised God that we hadn't met the tornado on the road. That our home still stood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Believe it or not, Maine does get an occasional F1 tornado, half dozen last year, knocking down a few trees, but I'm SO thankful we don't get the big ones! I lived in Indiana for a while and those sirens! I'm the one outside though...I think I'll stick to LOADS of snow instead! ;) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Maine had tornadoes too! I hate loads of snow too. Hard choice there

      Delete
  14. Oh, I totally understand about the husbands who do the opposite of what they're supposed to do during natural disasters! My husband likes to walk around the house during earthquakes instead of stand in a doorway! I love the jean flowers, too--absolutely darling!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!