Monday, May 11, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook May 11th Edition

For Today...

Today is Monday, May 11, 2015


Outside my window...

The sky is brilliant blue. The sun is shining. Finally the grey skies are gone. And it doesn't look like rain. We have had a lot of rain over the past few days and yet they are still saying we are behind! Egads! Enough. The temp today is only 60* It was 48* early this morning and I turned the furnace back on to take the chill off the house.


I am thinking...

I am thinking about something I just read on Facebook. It was on my local news' page but it came from Time Magazine. The article is called 15 Words you Need to Eliminate from Your Vocabulary. Please take a few moments to go read it. I need to work on those 15 words. I know there are a few that I over-use.


I am thankful...

I am thankful the holiday weekend is over. I don't do holidays very well. This year of 'firsts' has been hard and I don't think I want to celebrate anymore. I am sure the day will come. But it's not now!


I am wearing...

I am wearing black shorts and a teal, striped top!


I am creating...
 
As is usual for me on Mondays, I am creating my daybook entry and my weekly menu!


I am going...

I started writing this early this morning. Then I returned to bed. So I should have written "I am going back to bed" because that is what I did.


I am wondering...

I am wondering when I will get hit with the "I have to get moving" bug. Maybe I never will. I am just stuck in such a rut. But, there is always tomorrow. Right?

 


I am reading...

I just finished Michael Landon's The Silent Gift. You can read my review here. I have started James Patterson's Kill Alex Cross. It is the 18th Alex Cross book. I like James Patterson's book. I am also reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of De-cluttering and Organizing. I'll let you know what I think. I doubt it is going to be a Bible to me. But you never know. (Thanks Kwizgiver for it being on your reading shelf)
 


I am hoping...

I am hoping upon hoping that we make it through our grieving season soon. I know that it takes time. I was prepared for that. Soon it will be 10 months. The year of 'firsts' has been hard for me. The kids seem to be doing well. And for that I am thankful.


I am learning...

I am learning that we have way to many clothes at this house. And that is going to be my first focus. I have to see who needs what for summer. And toss all those out-grown items. (I typed things and then remembered the list from Time magazine so returned and typed items. See it's working already.)


In my garden...

In my garden the beautiful iris are in bloom. And the neighbor's peonies are calling to me. I love peonies and I wonder why I don't have some in my own yard. I'll be off to research that in a bit. Here are pictures:

photo by Harley



photo by Harley
photo by Harley

photo by Harley
photo by Harley
 
 


In my kitchen...

Monday: Leftover Day
Tuesday: Chicken Bacon Ranch Pockets
Wednesday: church for the kids
Thursday...Chicken Pot Pies (Harley cooks)
Friday...Cheesy Chicken
Saturday....Eating out for Paige's Birthday
Sunday...Shepherd's Pie

We didn't go out this past weekend for Paige's birthday so we will this weekend. Darian will be gone on Friday, Saturday, Sunday for his final Boy Scout Camping trip of the year. Guess he will miss eating out with us. (Be cheaper anyway :) )

 
 


 


A favorite quote for today...





 
I am putting all my faith into this!



 
 
 
A peek into one of my days...

For now my days are pretty quiet. The kids leave the house early. I don't get up until later in the day. I can't function until I have had a cup of coffee or two. I check my emails and my blog. Spend a bit of time looking at Facebook. Throw a load of laundry into the machine. Wander around outside: picking up branches, bats and balls left out, filling the jelly feeders. The Orioles have arrived and emptied four cups of jelly yesterday. Look at things that need added to my list of Things to Do. Go back into the house and read for a bit. Load the dishwasher so Harley can un-load it when she gets home. Work on the computer a bit. Time for the kids to come home. Now it will be about homework and dinner and what activities they have planned. This schedule will be changing on the 21st when school is over.

 


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is reading outside when it is warm. I am looking forward to this. Today was a bit on the cool side. I shall be taking my coffee outside and sit on the patio soon.



I am linking up with The Simple Woman's Blog.
 


 








****************************











22 comments:

  1. Your quote reminded me of a line in a movie I just saw. Christina Noble, Irish-born advocate for children's rights, was talking to God when she said with resolve, "I'll walk. You lead." The movie is called Noble and it's about her work with abused children in Vietnam and Mongolia. Your menu answered a question Inhad about whether you had a leftover day, of if you somehow managed to cook the right amouunt each time. If you do 't have peonies, what are the two pink flowers in the photos Harley took? I thought they looked like peonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't often have leftovers Gram. My two are BIG eaters. But usually after Justin and Paige have been here for the weekend there will be leftovers so I plan a leftover day. Not always. I don't have peonies in my yard. Harley took those pictures in the neighbors yard.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!!! Wow!!!! When do your grandchildren start school, our schools here end at almost the beginning of July, and start in September, they would love it if they got out in May! The year of firsts is VERY hard. The year of seconds is slightly better, but holidays in general are hardest of all. (((hugs))) Isn't it nice to sit outside and read? Ahhhh, so nice! I need to do it soon before the black flies are bad, some of them are big enough to flap away with my book! I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually start school around the middle part of August. And for as long as I can remember (all the way back to my childhood) we have gotten out before Memorial Day in May.

      Delete
  3. I like "irregardless." It's as good as notwithstanding and insofaras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like usually all those words. I am going to work on not using them so much

      Delete
  4. Wonderful pictures.Flowers look so lovely. Loved reading your day book today. Menu looks good for the week. I hope you have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. School is over the 21st?!? Wow, you guys get out early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That isn't early to us. It's when we always get out. But we usually start around the 14th of August

      Delete
  6. This is a great article! (Oops, I nearly wrote 'amazing'!)
    See, that dang word is everywhere. We watch ABC's The Bachelor each season, and I want to scream anytime the Golden Boy tells every lady she's 'amazing.'

    I'll never forget my former hubby (wise man) telling me anytime you're taking a True/False quiz and the question contains the words "Always" or "Never" the correct answer is False.

    PS - Neat pix, Harley.
    PPS - Hope you don't mind my 'stealing' this article to reference on my own FB page? (tyvm)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never mind when you steal from me Myra. That is a good rule to follow. I always tell my grandkids if in multiple choice there is a None of the above or an All of the above, then that is the right anwer.

      Delete
  7. I read that list of words, I use honestly all the time; got to get used to not using it :) I liked the pictures Harley took such pretty flowers! I would imagine the year of firsts with grieving is hard to do. I read a blog that had lost a child to cancer last year (he was 5), about a year ago, and she is saying they are ready to live again, of course missing their little one. I think grieve might subside in intensity but of course never completely go away. I was all weepy yesterday on Mother's Day and my mom died back in 2006 and hadn't been that weepy in years, so it has a way to catch you by surprise.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how this grief always catches me Betty. It seems that I am doing really well and then BAM out of the blue I am hit with tears and I can't stop missing him!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your simple reflections. I know that now it sounds like a load of crap, but with time it really does get easier to remember and cherish without your heart breaking. To just feel warm and fuzzy or maybe even laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. You are right that for now it is a load of crap but I know that I will once again feel warm and fuzzy and I look forward to that day. Thank you so much for reminding me!

      Delete
  9. I found your blog by way of an A-Z Reflections post: Mark C over at The View from the Olive Grove listed your blog as one that he frequented. I wish I had found you during the A-Z but I am so so glad that I found you now! I'll be back to check out your A-Z posts but I'm already hooked from today's post. I felt an automatic kinship with you. I'll be back for sure. All the best,
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. I will have to go visit Mark and see what he had to say. Hope to see you lots more

      Delete
  10. I love the white and purple flowers!! So pretty! Love your quote!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos....Good job Harley!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!