Monday, May 18, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-May 18th Edition

For Today...
 
Today is Monday, May 18, 2015.


Outside my window...
 
Outside my window is the perfect day. It is 66* The sky is blue and cloud-free. It's NOT raining. The trees and the grass are so green from all the rain we have had. I have a tree in my backyard that Richard always called a loctus. I am not sure what it is. I have tried locating it on the internet but can't find one that covers all my trees characteristics. Here is a picture. Can you help me identify this tree. There are no seed pods. There are not thorns. There are these annoying little "flowers" that drop all over the ground and glue themselves to the bottom of our shoes. Thus all over the house. I would never get rid of the tree as I love the shade it provides. But in the spring these "flowers" are very annoying.


I am thinking...
I am thinking about how lazy I was today. I did manage to load the dishwasher and start a load of laundry. Mostly I took little cat naps. The weekends wear me out.


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful for the rain we have gotten and how much the trees and the grass enjoyed their drink. Probably in 2 months I will be wanting another episode of this. For now, I am done!!


I am wearing...
 
I am wearing a pair of black yoga shorts and a grey tee shirt.


I am creating...
 
I created this blog post for today. I worked on my weekly menu yesterday. It is all ready to go!


I am going...
 
I am going to be very busy once school is out. Darian has a new job he is starting on Friday. He is going to work with a lawn-mowing service. Twelve hours a day. Six days a week. But he doesn't drive. So guess who will be getting up early every morning to deliver him to this job?? And Harley starts basketball camp and weightlifting practices the first week of June. They start at 6:30 a.m. They take place about 12 miles from our house. So guess who will be driving her? I venture to bet there will be a bit of napping going on in this house in the afternoons!


I am wondering...
 
I am wondering, however, if getting up that early in the morning each day might help me get things done early! That's my plan anyway.


I am reading...
 
I am reading Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson. It is a mystery thriller. I have read all of the Alex Cross books and I like them.
 


I am hoping...
 
I am hoping I get the paperwork filled out for Harley to go to camp. It will be here before we know it! Cause we all know how fast time is flying, don't we?


I am learning...
 
I am learning that God knew what he was doing in giving babies to younger women (although that was not necessarily true in Old Testament days. I think they must have counted times differently then). Having these active teens is tiring. There is so much to do. So many places to be. And only me to get them there. One of my priorities this summer is to get that boy busy on getting his driver's license! Anybody want to volunteer to be his driving partner. I wasn't really good at that when my boys learned to drive. Thankfully Richard did it. I am a nervous nanny!


In my garden...
 
Not much has gone down in my garden so far. We have been too wet. I need to get down to the garden center this week. We usually get six big geraniums to put on Richard's parents graves for Memorial Day. Then afterwards we plant them in big pots on the patio. I plan to make that trip on Friday. Can you believe it is already time for Memorial Day?
 


In my kitchen...
 
Monday...Crescent Roll Pizza
 
Tuesday...Cheesy Chicken with Rice
 
Wednesday...Final Wednesday for kids to eat at church until Fall
 
Thursday...Mac & Cheese and Chicken (Harley is cooking)
 
Friday...Chicken Wraps
 
Saturday...Brats and Chips
 
Sunday...Biscuits and Gravy
 
 




A favorite quote for today...
 
 
 
This is a favorite Bible quote. I learned this when I was attending the Friends Church in Pratt as a young girl. I love this graphic. Such a wonderful doorknob. Wouldn't you love to have those on the doors in your home? I would!




 


A peek into one of my days...
 
This week is going to be a quiet, restful week as I get ready for the last day of school on Thursday. Then my quiet, restful days will end until school starts again in mid-August. I think I will be spending a fair amount of time in the car taxi-ing kiddos here and there. And on a lawn tractor keeping the grass in line. And maybe a bit on the patio reading and sipping a cold drink. Love summer!


One of my favorite things...
 
I like to drink ice cold beer on a steamy-hot day. Not more than one (okay, maybe two). Do you have a favorite beverage you like to drink when it is really, really hot outside?


From the board room...
I want to make a couple of these rugs with either old towels or tee shirts. They look super easy and so comfoy to the toes.
 


I am linking up with The Simple Woman's Blog. Go over and find others to share the love with!






****************************











34 comments:

  1. I enjoy these "simple" posts! We have to get Hannah started on getting her driver's license soon. Don't know about your tree, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as soon as Darian learns it will be time for Harley. Yikes!!

      Delete
  2. That rug looks so cushy! :)
    One of my favorite verses, too...
    Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy summer you will have of up early and driving!! And that rug does look comfy!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I will show mine when I get around to making it!!

      Delete
  4. Just popping by to say hello! I see that your summer is mostly planned out! I love these perfect May days too. Can't help you with the name of your tree, though. It does sound like it would be annoying, tracking in those flowers. But I understand your reluctance to get rid of it because of the shade! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Gal. It is a pain but it only lasts for a couple weeks until all the 'stuff' falls off

      Delete
  5. Is your tree a Thornless Honey Locust? That's my guess, but as long as you are making a trip to the greenhouse this week, take a sample along and ask for help. Does your greenhouse have a master gardener on duty to help with questions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you may be right. Good idea to take it with me to the garden center. Yes, they are real experts there.

      Delete
  6. I do believe you have a locust variety, but ask the experts. I spent last winter getting up at the an awful hour to take Emily to work. And the winter before that getting Hamilton to church. I didn't notice extra productivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks Joanne I was hoping for added productivity! LOL I think we are all right that it is a locust variety!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you guys get out of school early. We've still got a whole month. Of course, they start back in September.

    Yep, got to get that kid driving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We start usually sometime around August 14. That is why we get out so early. We have always gotten out before Memorial Day though!

      Delete
  8. Yea for Darian. I've a friend in Abilene whose son started mowing lawns in the summer ... and barely 10 years after graduation he's built a thriving business (Lohse's Lawn Service). Who'd have guessed?
    For what it's worth, I never used to be an early morning person, but with the summer's heat I like to get the 'have to's' out of the way early, then nap often!

    PS - Did you see, I've started on a 'room of my own'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that you have started on a room of your own. I think I read it on my phone and I don't usually comment until later. I have to come by and see again! Yes, this guy that has this lawn business is making more than $150,000 a year and he only has a couple of full time people to pay and then his summer help. What a way to earn money.

      Delete
  9. Not sure what that tree is, sorry couldn't help you with that. I think that's a great summer job for Darian, but wow the hours! Honestly, I'm not sure I could teach another person to drive, still recovering from teaching son to drive but it is good once they get their license and get that independence :) I think lots of cat naps throughout the day is a good thing myself, would do it if I could :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty your answers always give me a lift! I am happy to know you would cat nap too! I am a terrible 'rider' with experienced drivers. Teenaged ones are even worse

      Delete
  10. That's a wonderful quote. I have a picture in my office of Christ at a door, but there is no doorknob on the outside. It serves to remind me that I need to open the door, from inside, and let Him enter.

    And what a cozy looking rug! I'd like to make one of those. Or better yet… I'd like to convince my daughter to make one for me. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have the granddaughters work on a couple of the rugs this summer. Would love to see a picture of your quote. Sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  11. I don't think it's a locus tree. We had one when I was a kid and I think the leaves are smaller. It's cold and clear today, but that's better than the constant rain we've had lately. I need to start laundry and go for a walk which I've not done in a few days due to the rain, but I'm not very motivated. Woke up wayyyyyyyy to early and would like a nap, but I'm not a nappy person. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a sample to the garden center when I go. Doesn't really matter, I guess, what kind it is. It's not going anywhere. Even though I hate it with a passion in the spring. And sometimes in the fall too, with all those tiny leaves falling. I am happy I am nappy!!

      Delete
  12. I agree about babies are really for younger gals ! We had our Grand baby this week end and Saturday I fixed dinner , gave her a bath , laid out church clothes , made sure she had a night time diaper on , etc... by the time I got her in bed I was wore out ! Thank goodness she slept thru the whole night !
    I have the same scripture posted this week . I hope you will go look , it is the cutest picture ! Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard being older and taking care of the grands. I am glad mine are teens and not babies. So much hands on care when they are babies. I will pop over and take a look at your blog right now!

      Delete
  13. Grandma's Taxi at your service LOL. I like the Alex Cross books too. Enjoy your last week of relaxation Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it Wendy. Not getting anything at all done. But it will wait on me. If you need a ride just call me and I'll pop in with the taxi. Might take me awhile to get there LOL. I've been looking at the map. You never know when the kids and I will jump in the car and come visit!

      Delete
  14. I did one of those rugs a long long time ago and it was great. Lasted a very long time because it could be washed. I think I made a peace sign pillow for a friend's birthday also. I have to applaud you for making such great menus ahead of time. That is something a lot of people don't do, I never know what I want to eat til that day. This way must be so much easier! I guess I should try a menu week out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did it take forever to tie all those little pieces on? I am going to have the girls make them this summer. They will be fun for them! Yes it is so much easier (and cheaper) when I do my menus ahead of time. You will have to try it!

      Delete
  15. I went driving with my niece when she was learning, my sister couldn't handle her driving and I was fine with it. I would help you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wished you lived here Kwiz! I would let you teach them

      Delete
  16. I have those sort of lazy days most of the time on my days off. I want to be productive and yet I also want to relax. That's a great verse you shared, and I would love to have that door knob. A friend and I tried to get into a weekend class that taught how to make those rugs, but it was already full by the time we signed up. I would like to try it, maybe next time we'll get our names in early enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that feeling of wanting to relax and be productive. I want to relax most of the time. You can just follow this tutorial. You probably wouldn't need a class!

      Delete
  17. Since I just found your blog today from your comment on Katie Clooney's blog (I think), this was a great "getting to know you" post! Oh and my favorite thing to drink when it's really hot out is lemon water or lime water (lemonade/limeade without the sugar).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon water is great to drink at anytime isn't it? Thanks for visiting me today!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!