Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Lesson on Opinions

According to Wikipedia an opinion is a judgment, statement or viewpoint on a matter that is commonly considered subjective. You can distinguish facts from opinion because facts are usually verifiable.

I am a very opinionated person. And often-times I don't mind sharing my opinion with you. That doesn't mean I am right. It doesn't mean I am wrong. It just means I am sharing my views. I have lots of opinions. I have opinions on abortion, voting, gun control, politics. Those oftentimes get me into some heated discussions. Most of the time I don't mind things getting heated. What is hard to do is to offer my opinion and not to get riled up when someone questions me about it. It's not that people questioning me about my opinion is wrong. It is when people don't want to allow me my opinion.

I'm also opinionated when it comes to how people dress, how they drive, how they eat, how they use their cell phones...oh it can go on and on. I'm sure you all have your opinions too. Nothing wrong with opinions, in my opinion.

Ha! Ha!
Most important lesson!
For the most part I have learned that people don't really like other people's opinions unless they are the same as their own. Have you noticed that? I guess what my life lesson is here is that: If you don't want my opinion, don't ask for it! And if you are offering your opinion and I don't happen to agree and offer my own opinion then don't get all mad and start calling me names. I'm just giving you my opinion. I promise to offer you the same respect that you offer me. Deal? It is hard to get the tone of the opinion when it is in writing. We have to be more gentle with those whose opinions are not the same as ours. Maybe that is the lesson!!

32 comments:

  1. Its good we all have different opinions as long as sometimes we agree to disagree about things and don't always have to think we are right in them :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having different opinions is a good thing too. It only becomes a bad thing when we don't allow others to have their own opinion!

      Delete
  2. There's a world of difference between a friendly discussion and a rant! I agree that tone of voice is everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it is hard to put tone into writing!

      Delete
  3. Yes getting the tone right for opinions can be hard, how many of us have had an e-mail which has upset us because of how we read the tone in their opinion which may not have been meant by the author of that letter? Dropping in from the A to Z, I have set up a link to your blog from my letter O https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Rosie. I shall drop by your blog!

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula - respecting what others do and say is so important .. if we're asked for an opinion fine .. but for the rest of it ... ease up .. find something to compliment ... or work out how you can cope ..

    So good - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind if people leave their opinion with me. As long as it is okay for me to disagree with them

      Delete
  5. Oh Paula, you make me smile!

    I think I’m the most opinionated soul on earth … but I lack the conviction to say much aloud.
    Sometimes - particularly in every place I’ve worked - my silence has served me well. I’ve played the ‘complacency card’ on more than several occasions to further the impression I agree with another’s point of view. Charades. (But were it not for DH being a great sounding board, I might have to add, ‘ulcers’!)

    We may not always agree, but I give you props for having the confidence to speak your mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. I think we could be best friends. :)

      Delete
  6. A difference of opinion is not a problem. It's only a problem when one or the other decides that their opinion must be the opinion of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frank says that opinions are like assholes....everyone has one LOL....In my opinion, he is right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that expression a time or two! He is right. And I am glad that we can all see that we are all entitled to our opinion!

      Delete
  8. I agree with Wendy's husband--everyone has an opinion. Some of us are more reluctant to share ours than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not at all reluctant to share my opinions. All one has to do is ask!

      Delete
  9. I felt quite certain I had left a comment on your napping post yesterday, but by the looks of things, it was either just my opinion that I left a comment, ai was was napping and dreamed the whole thing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gram you crack me up! I love all of your opinions and your comments!!

      Delete
    2. And do you love when my thumb hits the letter "a" instead of the shift key for capitalizing the letter "i"? ;-)

      Delete
  10. Great post. Respect should be the order of the day when giving our opinion on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Liz. A difference of opinion is only a problem when one or the other decides that their opinion must be the opinion of everyone. Respect is one key. Humility is another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love opinions. They make me think. They can agree with me and correct me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or they can not agree and let it go!

      Delete
  13. Oh I can be opinionated and just say what's on my mind but if people disagree that is their right even if I think they are wrong (snark!) How else can the world be a great place-it would be boring if we all agreed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I get that 'snark'! I agree that it is the differing of opinions that makes our world less boring

      Delete
  14. I am known to be pretty opinionated. I do like to think though that I'm open-minded and understand my thoughts may be quite different from someone elses. I'm totally ok with any one else having different opinion as long as you don't try to convince me that their opinion is the only Correct opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I am as open minded as I should be. But I am pretty opinionated!!

      Delete
  15. I can be, olay, no I AM very opinionated. I am a red head, sometimes they just fly out of my mouth! Sometimes it is helpful and other times it just gets me into trouble. I can handle other peoples opinions, but it gets tricky when they are opinions of my siblings or parents. That is because their opinions are designed to hurt, and they do that on purpose. So I have had to learn that I need to file those opinions away, as in, not taking them on. Gosh, that has been a learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olay, LOL! That should be okay! HAHA!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!