Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Lesson of Marrying Your Best Friend

I did not learn this lesson before I had already married my first husband. One of the lessons I wish I had learned earlier in my life.


Marry Your Best Friend!

If everyone married their best friend don't you think people would be much happier with their marriages?

"In a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, which controlled for pre-marriage happiness levels, found that married people are both happier and more satisfied with their lives than those who remain single. And the satisfaction the reportedly lasted for decades, not fading away after the "honeymoon" period.
One reason the study gives for why marriages remain so satisfying, is the role of friendship. The study found that the "well-being effects of marriage are about twice as large for those whose spouse is also their best friend."
According to the study, women benefit more from being married to their best friend than men do. But, women are also less likely to regard their spouse as their best friend."* (Today's Health)

I don't know if this article is agreeing with me or not, but I do know that before I loved Richard, I liked him. Before I married him he was my friend. And it worked for us.

Couples who are in long-term, successful marriages will often call their spouse their best friend. I think if you can call your spouse your best friend that means that you like them. And liking them is as important as loving them! If not more important!



Do you think it is important to marry your best friend?

It worked for me. It might not work for everyone. I am happy I married my best friend.
 



My best friend and me!!

27 comments:

  1. Still looking. Lately the guys I meet won't talk to me about anything meaningful, so I can't gauge any sort of friendship level, which is what I want before I'll take the flirtation any further. Ah well, some of us must be destined to remain single for life.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather have been alone than to have not had the relationship I had with Richard!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I would have called my hubby my best friend when we first got married, but over the years he has become my best friend :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't call Richard my best friend at first either. But he was a friend before he became a lover or a husband. And that is what I find important. He was my best friend in the end!!

      Delete
  3. My husband before we started dating was my best friend. I was engaged to another guy and once i found out that he cheated on me we broke up and are engagement. My friend helped me threw the process then we found love and started dating then eventually we got married. I am glad i relized that the guy i was dating was not the right person before it was too late. I am thankful everyday that my best friend is my husband. I love him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are holding a diamond willow walking stick in the photo of you and Richard. In a photo of Officer Friendly and me, it would be him holding the diamond willow stick. He so wanted to hike the AP, but never did. I walked part of it for him. Good reflections in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what kind of walking stick it was. We used them from the family cabin out in Colorado!

      Delete
  5. Very true. Best friend. Soul mate. Confidant.

    And M is for Midway point of A to Z! Thanks for your continued participation!

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Cohost
    M is for Movies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left the wrong acronym in my comment. I typed AP, but I meant AT: Appalachian Trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun to walk the AT. I would have to get in better shape first!

      Delete
  7. I love that photo of you and Richard! My husband is my best friend, and was also a best friend before we got married. In fact, I almost broke off with him, as he felt close enough to be my brother...which was weird!! But he came to see me at university one day...and I realized I was going to marry him, and I am so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds weird. But I totally get it! Maybe because I am weird too! I am glad that you found him

      Delete
  8. You’ve really given me pause this time, Paula. :)

    In retrospect, I think DH and I married too soon, under very different circumstances.
    Almost 11 years later I can honestly say I love my husband; but some days I don’t LIKE him very much. I suspect we’re too much alike!

    Wonderful picture of you and Richard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might have to talk about this in an email sometime Myra. There were many a day I didn't like Richard either. I think that is part of the marriage way. But in the end, when all is said and done, we really loved each other! I didn't even like him at all in the beginning. He won me over through the hearts of my sons

      Delete
  9. I agree Paula that liking the person you marry may be even more important than loving them. You have to enjoy being with them, talking with them, laughing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I married my best friend. He literally was my best friend or 18 years. His family knew me - my family knew him. He was under my nose the whole time. LOL. We knew the whole good bad and ugly parts of each other already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you married your best friend!

      Delete
  11. I met my current hubby and we hit it off so fast it just fell into place. I do consider her my best friend-warts and all:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband is definitely my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm married to my best friend. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm married to my best friend. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!