Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Lesson of Eating Only What Tastes Good

Continuing with my A to Z Blogging Challenge. My theme is Lessons From Life A to Z.


This is one of those life lessons that I wish I had learned a lot earlier. Or one that I would have been able to incorporate into my life at an earlier time: Eat Only What Tastes Good!
but only if it's amazing!


How often do we eat something just because? I know that I do. And I often keep eating because it is still on my plate. Not because I am hungry. And not because what I am eating tastes good. I am a stress eater. If I am stressed I go to the kitchen and find something to eat. It's just what I do. And once I start I keep putting it in my mouth even if I don't really want it anymore.

Recently I hit upon the idea "only eat it if it tastes more amazing that anything you have ever eaten before." Now that can sometimes get me into trouble. Like with a bag of Lindor Truffles. They taste so amazing that I just keep unwrapping them and popping them into my mouth. And close my eyes and luxuriate in the amazing feel of one melting on my tongue. It is almost orgasmic. Oops, I shouldn't have wandered there. The answer to this problem is to only buy the smallest package and not very often. I love my Lindor Chocolates.

Wouldn't it really help us with our weight issues if we only ate what tastes good? (And quit eating when it no longer tasted good). Like when you are full and  another bite will make you vomit. I imagine there is even a cookie out there that doesn't really taste that good. I haven't found one yet, but I'm sure there are some out there. I wouldn't eat raw celery or kale except that it is good for me. I really don't think either taste all that good.  Life's too short to not eat what tastes good.

So my mantra for 2015 is to only eat it if it TASTES REALLY GOOD. How do you think this would work for you? I'll let you know if I stay fat or become one of those skinny ladies!!

Other of my Lessons are here.

24 comments:

  1. I like this theory, Paula. I might have to try it. I'm with you, I'm a stress eater. Think is sometimes things taste sooooo good that I continue on with those last bites even though I know I'll be miserable for the rest of the evening. I blame it all myself on metabolism with my weight (and pasta, and potatoes, and bread......(

    I might really try though to consider this theory and incorporate it into my eating habits

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem for me is that it all tastes so good. But maybe we need to really think of each bite and say to ourselves, "does it continue to taste so good that I should keep eating it?"

      Delete
  2. In a similar manner, I started several years ago to stop eating something just to be polite, or because it was the time to eat. Why eat if one isn't even hungry? I've always pretty much only eaten what tastes good to me. I try to better proportion my plates too, so that I don't feel tempted to just "clean my plate" once I start to feel full.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B ~ One of Tremp's Troops with the
    A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often eat when I am NOT hungry. Unfortunately that is what keeps me fat! If I could only figure out how not to do tat

      Delete
  3. My dad was a spare man, who told me once he ate to live. I realized the wisdom of that twenty years ago. I realized that twenty years ago; eat what you need, let the rest go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky. That is what keeps you thin I suspect!

      Delete
  4. Yep, a hard lesson especially when you are hard wired to 'waste not; want not' and hell bent on finishing what's on your plate whether you are full or not. Also it is important to practice mindlful eating versus mindless eating. Sometimes food just disappears without me noticing it and I have only myself to blame. I used to be thin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you said it all when you said 'hard wired'. A habit to break

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The older I get the less I care if it works. I'm just not obsessing so much about my size!

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, I'm at my desk popping thin mint girl scout cookies in my mouth as I'm reading this. Obviously eating what tastes good and I'm not even hungry. I struggle with weight my willpower is almost nonexistent.
    Lindor chocolates sound good right now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I am talking about holi!

      Delete
  7. Hi Paula .. I'd love to stop eating quite so much .. and now Spring seems to be springing I'm going to make a real effort to cut back .. I do love my food. Don't take too much ... and don't over eat .. and eat what tastes good .. there are so many delicious fresh vegetables and fruits out there ... thanks for the reminder and now Easter is over - I can forego chocolate! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the idea. But I am going to assume it will be much harder than that! Cheers Hilary!

      Delete
  8. Ughgh... I have to eat now very diciplined. Anti inflammatory from here on in. There are some good snacks I have learned to make and now my treats are more towards fruits. I miss my milk though. I love milk. Almond milk is just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your digestive problems. I haven't tried almond milk but I can't imagine it is nearly the same.

      Delete
  9. None of that works for me. I don't stress eat. I don't boredom eat. I only eat when I'm hungry, and still... But I hope it works for you. As you know, everyone is different and different things work for different people.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very lucky you don't stress or boredom eat. Yes I know that we are all different. Thank God for that!!

      Delete
  10. Oh Lindt chocolate..we have a Lindt outlet store here, and I haven't been to it yet, but hope to go soon. I totally love chocolate but it gives me heartburn! I don't eat as much as I used to. I know I don't eat nearly enough of what I should, and I am trying to cut out certain things, but I really like your way of thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good thing we don't have a Lindt outlet store here!

      Delete
  11. What a delightful Life Lesson!
    I believe you’re really onto something here, Paula! Your second paragraph may well have been written about me! I eat when I’m stressed, when I’m bored, when I’m happy … even when I’m depressed. My own Achilles heel is salty, crunchy things – recently evidenced by my devouring an entire bag of pistachios in one sitting.

    PS – Oh, please don’t go getting all skinny on the rest of us! I think that look worked well for Twiggy, but after 50 the term ‘gaunt’ comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you have to worry about me getting all skinny on you! LOL!

      Delete
  12. Eating only what tastes good can definitely lead down the fat path, if one's not careful! But I do like the suggestion and I am working on losing a few pounds, so I will incorporate the lesson. Remember, though, that "nothing tastes as good as slim feels"! You can substitute the word slim for 'healthy' or 'my perfect weight', if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes eating only tastes good can make one fat. But I am older now and don't worry about my being fat! I am just going to eat what tastes good and let life be what it will be!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!