Sunday, April 12, 2015

Odd Thomas


I am a late comer to the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. After reading reviews from a couple of my trusted sources (Thanks Wendy and Kwizgiver)  I decided it was past time for me to dive in.

I had read some Dean Koontz in the 1980's (like House of Thunder, Strangers, and Watchers) and then it seems like I fell out of favor with him. Much like Stephen King!

The first book, aptly named, Odd Thomas was very slow for me to grab onto the plot and run with it. I like a book that really gets me from the first sentence. The kind that I don't want to put down. A book that makes me force myself to stay awake at night to read "just one more chapter." Odd Thomas was not this kind of book in the beginning. But I learned to love it. Odd Thomas is a young man who sees dead people. He is aware of impending doom. And he fights hard to prevent it from happening. Sometimes he is not on the right side of the law. But, thankfully, he has the law on his side. And he has a soul mate in Stormy, his odd girlfriend. The ending of the book is fascinating when Odd saves the town of Pico Mundo from a devastating tragedy and then prepares to marry the love of his life only to.......

You didn't really think I would give away the ending, did you? You'll just have to read it yourself and find out if you end up loving Odd Thomas as much as I did. Now there are seven more of these books to read. But I have to take a break and read Eureka Street by Robert McLiam Wilson.

8 comments:

  1. l haven't read any of his books; maybe I'll have to after the A/Z challenge :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I was going to like this one, Betty. But I did!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you ended up liking Odd Thomas, Paula. I was worried that you were going to think I gave you a bum steer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know if I was going to like it Wendy! Hopefully it won't take me so long to get into the next one!

      Delete
  3. I have found so many books to read after this challenge. Will be nice in the RV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think reading and an RV would have to go hand in hand.

      Delete
  4. I was a big Dean Koontz fan back in the day. I've read some of the Odd Thomas books a long time ago then I got of reading for awhile and when I started reading again, I just never got back into his books. I should probably remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my 'get back to Koontz' book. I will read all them eventually!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!