Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Lessons on Shoes and Showers

Lessons on Life: A to Z Blogging Challenge

I have learned a lot of lessons in my lifetime. Some of them stick and some have not. Some I have learned the hard way. And some come much easier. But there has not been a lesson more important than the one I have learned about shoes!

I have horrible feet. I developed bunions early in my life. And I was born with an extra ankle bone. Weird, huh? (I had surgery on both the bunions and removal of the extra ankle bones about 25 years go). I wore lots of hand-me-down shoes in my lifetime. And when mom bought me a brand new pair of shoes, ones of my very own,I was expected to wear them for a year. Money was tight. We only got new shoes just before school started each year. So I often wore shoes that were too small for my feet. Hence, the development of bunions. And, in later years a hammertoe. Unsightly and very uncomfortable.

When I graduated from business school, after high school, I worked in a business office downtown. This was back in the early 1970's. Women wore dresses. Almost always. Never pants. So I wore dresses and heels to work everyday. Heels! I hated them. I am 5'10" tall and even the smallest heel made me taller than almost everyone. I hated it. But I hated more shoving my foot into those horrible pointed toe high heels. Some women wear them so well. Not me. I felt like I was clomping around like a horse.

Then I went to nursing school and nurses wear much more sensible shoes. I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks. Expensive but oh my the comfort of these shoes. Later on I started to wear Crocs. They were a lot like the Birkenstocks in style and comfort. But they were so much cheaper. And they washed up with soap and water and I never bought white polish again. But, sadly, the nursing home where I worked put them on the 'NO-NO' list and I had to stop wearing them.

Now, I live in my crocs. If I have to dress up and wear a different kind of shoe it is usually a loafer. I don't wear dresses anymore, so a loafer goes with slacks. And I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER  wear another pair of heels. Never! Get it?


QVC
Now about the shower. I love to sing. I don't really have a singing voice. But I sing in the shower. So do both of my grandkids. I have music loaded on my phone. Connected to my PopRock speaker, via Bluetooth, the music blares, loudly, everyday in the bathroom at this house. I bought mine at QVC (click the link). They are simple to use and they are waterproof. Check them out. Maybe you need a PopRock!


What is your thought on shoes and singing in the shower. Are you a crooner? Do you wear heels or opt for comfort?

25 comments:

  1. I have opted for comfort, even with dresses, for the past 10 years or so. No real foot problems, but some problems with restless legs and I found heels were one of the things compounding that for me. I would still wear a pair of heels to go out for a 2-3 hour event, but don't want to spend the money on something I'd wear so seldom. I hate shoes that tie or buckle! I want them open and ready for my foot and to stay there. Nothing between my toes either, thank you very much. As to singing, all my life people either have said they love my voice or they politely ask me not to sing. LOL I sing in my car sometimes, and love to sing hymns while I do the dishes.
    Visit me at: Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B of Tremps' Troops
    with the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to sing hymns too. That is one of the reasons I really, really like going to church. And I don't want anything between my toes either. I cannot understand the flip-flop love affair people seem to have

      Delete
  2. I'm quite petite (5'2"), so I really love the added height that heels give me. After I took early retirement in 1988 to raise our family, my foot dress code was house slippers and sneakers for the most part. On occasion I wore heels, but where I was no longer use to them, it was horribly uncomfortable and I dreaded wearing them. I decided at some point after the turn of the millennium to wear heels frequently for two reasons. One, to help me get use to them again and second to reshape my calf muscles. I bought a pair of three and a quarter inch classic pumps to wear around the house in the evenings like house slippers. After some time, both problems were fixed and I still wear my high heel slippers. Another advantage to wearing heels is it makes my legs look sexier and well...DH LOVES that! :D Now for singing...I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I sing my heart out in and out of the shower. I LOVE music!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite petite!! I know that Richard liked me to wear heels even though it made me so much taller than him. But they were too darn uncomfortable to wear so I didn't! I'll stick with singing in the shower LOL

      Delete
  3. I am not opposed to singing in the shower. I never did much of it, but that doesn't mean GN I banned from it. She takes her music in with her, too. I got her a little portable speaker for that purpose, but I don't recall the brand. As for shoes, I'm lucky with no bunions or hammer toe. I wore pumps for too many years and will not were any kind heel at this stage of my life. I stand and walk at work too much to wear heels, but I never really was a girly girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...there just comes that time in a woman's life where comfort comes before style instead of the other way around like we did it for so long before. I wasn't much of a girly girl either!

      Delete
  4. I almost always opt for comfort. I typically wear my tennies to my work & change into "dressier" flats once there. I am short, but still never have liked heels.
    TheFrogLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never cared for heels either!

      Delete
  5. Never owned a pair of high heeled shoes, and have no comprehension of why women make their lives so inconvenient with such things, their design is a conspiracy against women being able to function like normal human beings. I sing in the car, not the shower:-)
    martine@ silencing the bell

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents tried to impart this lesson. Of course, I believed myself to be immune and ignored their advice. Up til a couple of years ago I wore high heels almost every day - declaring they were more comfortable than flats.
    Nowadays, I'm so afraid of turning an ankle that there's a brand-new pair of 4" heels sitting unworn for almost a year on my closet shelf.
    For sure, if I ever get to be retired I'll be living in sneakers and granny lace-up boots. I've never tried on a pair of crocs!

    PS - Those pop rocks are cute! I may have to take up singing in the shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when you drop by my friend. You bring a smile to my face every single time, Myra!!

      Delete
    2. Sorry to be so late checking in! We had a long, incredibly boring dinner to attend in north Phoenix. I'm getting too darn old to be out on weeknights!

      Delete
  7. I have never worn crocks. I still wear heels when I get dressed up but am so thankful I had a job where I didn't have to wear them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I NEED a poprock!! I've never heard or seen those but I want one now. I listen to music every morning from my phone as I get ready for work. I'm a terrible singer but I sing like crazy in the shower.
    I am 5'2 and I live in heels. I prefer wedges and platforms though because they're much more comfortable. I don't have to wear them but I prefer to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should get one Holli. They are even great in the car for playing the music that is on your phone. I can see where a little short person would like heels. Not for me!!

      Delete
  9. I love to sing, though I am more of a bath girl personally. I love to sing, I wear my iPod when I am cleaning, etc, and sing my heart out usually. As for shoes, I stopped wearing anything with a heel when I fell down the 3 step cement deck outside our house back in Ontario, badly spraining my ankle, but worse was that I was carrying Devin at the time, and he wasn't even one year old yet. He hit his head, and we both ended up in ER to get checked out. He was fine, thankfully, I had crutches. No heels for this girl! I love Chuck Taylor high tops ( Converse). My mom wouldn't let me have them, so a couple of years ago, my son bought me my first pair! I love them! ( And Birkenstocks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone in this house has taken a bath since the kids were little. We are all shower people here. That would make me stop wearing heels too Ellie! I'll have to check out the Chuck Taylors

      Delete
  10. I inherited my hammertoes from Mom and Grandma. All my sisters have it too. Anyway, when I finally tried rubber clogs, it was a huge relief for my poor feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family all has them too. I love my crocs for all the room they give my toes

      Delete
  11. I love, love, love my Alegrias. Clogs, sandals, full shoes....I love them all. They are cuter than Birkies (wore those for the first 15 years of my career...) and more comfy (to me) than Crocs. Expensive? Yeah. But I look at them as an investment in me not being in pain all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have checked those out before, Lisa, when you talked about them on your blog. They look very comfortable.

      Delete
  12. When we were growing up, we were like you growing up, money was tight. One thing my mom didn't skimp on was shoes, we always had good shoes, but only basically one pair until we outgrew them. My feet got used to good shoes and now I can't wear cheap shoes which is probably a good thing for my feet. I guess when we think about our feet carrying all our weight, we should treat them with respect. My high heel days are over, I'm with you loafers if I have to dress up.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got pretty much what was affordable at the time. Not necessarily good shoes. But they had to last a full year...no matter what!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!