Saturday, April 25, 2015

Learning that Vacations are Necessary

Life Lessons: A to Z Challenge


It is not only fun to take vacations, they are necessary to our physical and mental health. It really is true "that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Your brain needs to take a rest to reduce stress and  carelessness. It helps keep you from making poor decisions. It gives you time to think. And to ponder. Don't you love it when you have time to ponder? Sometimes only a few hours vacation can bring you some increase in your brains ability to function better. So take a small vacation when needed.

Big vacations, to me, are the best. And my Richard was great at planning big vacations. Sometimes he would forget to allow time in the plans for just relaxing. But that is why I was around. To remind him. To drag him out by the pool, to sit in a chair, with his feet up and a cold beer in hand and watch us swim.
He wasn't much for getting into the pool. But I loved having him at poolside. I could hang on the side and chat with him. While I basked in the sun he stayed under the umbrella. The sun and Richard never got along. His ginger-coloring prevented that!

When the boys were young we went to the family cabin in Colorado in the summers. This cabin did not have indoor plumbing. No running water. The cook stove was operated by wood. The water came from the streams. And the toilet was out back. Yuck. Not my idea of a vacation. But Richard and the boys loved these trips. So, every other year, we went to Colorado. And the next year we went where mama wanted to go. Now these were the good times. We traveled all over the United States. There were trips to Yellowstone, the Smokey Mountains, Florida, the Grand Canyon. All the touristy places! Those were some of Richard's favorites.

My favorite vacations included the beach
In our later years, after the boys had left home, we became cruisers. At first Richard didn't want to cruise. But once I convinced him then that was the only way to take a vacation. And we went on several. Some were just for 7 days and some were much longer. I could live on a cruise ship. And so could have Richard. Lots of good memories of cruises. When we cruised we usually went with other couples. That is why it was so much fun! We loved the cruises that required dressing for dinner. Tuxes, white dinner jackets, long gowns and jewels. Such an elegant way to dine.

Vacations are important. You have to rest the mind and the body. They can be cheap or they can be expensive. They can be far from home or they can be in the backyard. I am glad that I learned this lesson. And I had the best of teachers....thank you Richard!!

20 comments:

  1. Yes, vacations are the best! And my husband and I are looking forward to taking our first trip to the Grand Canyon this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've gone and made me nostalgic! When we first got together, Tom had never cruised; I think he grew weary of my going on and on (and on). We've only done two (Holland America and Royal Caribbean) - but both times I was disappointed at what's become of the cruise experience I remembered and loved ... yes, dressing in formal attire and enjoying fine, leisurely dining. Those were the days!

    PS - We've 2 guest rooms with your names on it ...anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so awesome Myra. I would love to come visit you sometime. Maybe. Just maybe!

      Delete
  3. I love vacations too....right now I am saving up my $$$ so I can go to Kansas and meet my friend, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that will get to happen sometime. Would be so much fun!

      Delete
  4. This is where I have fallen short. Even though I now have 3 weeks vacation at my job each year, I never get to take any. Ten years and never a week off. I have to use days for doctor visits and chauffeuring Pete when he's not up to driving himself. I have to cash in days to have money for unexpected repairs or to buy Christmas for my family each year. How I'd love to take a solid week to get my home in order and relax more!!! I'd either work all morning and rest/relax all evening or work hard around the house one day and rest do something fun the next.
    Maybe, just maybe before this year is out, I can.
    Visit me at: Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B of Tremps' Troops
    with the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before it is too late you should learn to make time for a vacation. I used to think them more frivolous but I wouldn't trade all of our vacation memories for anything in the world!

      Delete
  5. Vacations are always fun to take. Family time and memories. I never taken a cruise before but maybe one day we will. I would love to go to the grand cayon. Were planning a trip out to California one of these days to visit my hubbys parents. I am excited beacuse i have not yet been there.
    Loving your posts. Hope you have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that cruising is now what it used to be. Try for an elegant cruise line such as Princess. More expensive but definitely worth the money.

      Delete
  6. So true about vacations, Paula. There is something about just getting away, no matter how far away it is or how short of a time. Because of our financial situation over the past four years and then with Koda and his health, we didn't take a vacation for 4 years; I would do stay vacations, but it wasn't the same as getting away. We'll be traveling a bit more this year which I'm looking forward to (as long as it doesn't involve a plan :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to take a trip or two. I like not having a plan too. Unless, of course, it takes a plan. Like a cruise.

      Delete
  7. I love a good getaway, too. I know preferences can vary, but the beauty of travel is there is certainly something for everyone to enjoy. I have something penciled in for 2015! How about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't penciled in anything yet, Gram. I am exhausted just getting the kids through the days and living through each weekend. Maybe we will find time for something this summer

      Delete
  8. 2nd vacation post I've run across today. Those sound like good times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paula - love this .. the mix of vacations .. and so essential for one and all - the kids learn the different ways and you each get some fun ... sounds like as a family it was very well set up .. lovely to read .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing it this way worked well for us! Thanks HIllary

      Delete
  10. Couldn't agree more, Paula that it is our experiences that fill our lives more than possessions. We were reminiscing just the other day about the vacations (we Brits still tend to say holidays!) we took with our children and how special those memories are - especially when your children start to fly the nest! Have a lovely Sunday :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way Senco. But it is the experiences that matter more than the stuff! Thanks for dropping by

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!