Thursday, April 23, 2015

Learning that Into Each Life the Rain Must Fall/Umbrellas are Urgent

Life's Lessons: A to Z Blogging Challenge

The Rainy Day
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
 
The day is cold, and dark, and dreary; It rains, and the wind is never weary; The vine still clings to the mouldering wall, But at every gust the dead leaves fall, And the day is dark and dreary.

 My life is cold, and dark, and dreary; It rains, and the wind is never weary; My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past, But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast, And the days are dark and dreary.

 Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; Thy fate is the common fate of all, Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.
 
 
My favorite line in this poem is: "into each life some rain must fall." Isn't that the darn truth. Without rain the grass wouldn't be green, the flowers wouldn't bloom, the rivers and lakes and oceans would all dry up. So we have to have rain. As much as I don't like it..."into each life some rain must fall."


Artist Charles Twelvetrees
a great American Painter

Since we know that the rain must fall then we know that we must be prepared. I don't like getting wet. Do you? Not wet from rain. So I have to be prepared with an umbrella. I have umbrellas everywhere. In my car. In my purse. In the entryway. In the hall closet. One is always in my suitcase so when I pack to go away it is always there. I used to insist the kids have one in their backpacks but I don't anymore. They don't mind getting wet. So let them. But I am always prepared with an umbrella. One of those life's lessons I have learned and it is a habit. Don't leave home without your umbrella!!






And we always need to remember we have to put up with the rain if we want to see the rainbows. Dolly is such a wise, wise woman.
 


22 comments:

  1. I've been caught in a few rain storms without an umbrella when walking Koda in days gone by; not fun to get wet nor have a wet dog :) The older I get, the more definite I don't like to be wet. Good idea to keep them handy as you do!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umbrellas all over the place at my house :)

      Delete
  2. I keep an umbrella in my car. Haven't needed it much lately. Sigh. I do love a good rainstorm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would need it here today! Have a good weekend

      Delete
  3. I just can't control an umbrella so I'd rather have a hood on my coat or a waterproof hat I think. Have to say this April we have been very lucky with the weather here in England - lots of warm sunny days :) However part of my blog post today contains my freebie clip art of umbrellas!! Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hard if the wind is blowing. I'll come check out your cliparts!

      Delete
    2. I'm with you, Senco, on preferring a hood of waterproof coat; the number of umbrellas I've managed to lose or which break with me have to be seen to be believed! I'm always on the hunt for a brolly that doesn't turn inside-out at the slightest gust of wind.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes that is the best bet...a waterproof coat! I, however, find them to be too hot!

      Delete
  4. I'm guessing it was someone with a positive attitude about rain who had the audacity to make the first umbrella that wasn't black! Too many cute umbrellas not to enjoy rain from time to time, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right. I don't even think I own a black umbrella!

      Delete
  5. Its pouring down rain here in Dallas as I type this. I don't mind getting wet but I do have several umbrellas around as well. I really like this poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's raining here now as well. Have a good weekend Holli!

      Delete
  6. I learned not to wear hairspray because if you are out directing traffic in the rain the hairspray runs into your eyes and hurts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been raining here about everyday this week. Somehow i managed to get out for my walk every day before it happens. So i am thankful for that but i did take my umbrella with me just in case. :)
    Love rainbows what would we do with out them. And April showers bring May flowers. Nice post have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had quite a bit of rain here this week too! I am not a fan of rainy days. Especially when they involve Tornado watches. But we needed the rain.

      Delete
  8. "Why, without the rain ..... " For a moment there, Paula, I thought you were channeling my late mother!
    Like that old song, rainy days (most) always get me down. I think that's why moving to the desert SW seemed so attractive. Mr. Twelvetrees' painting is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....sounded like my mom too, Myra! Yes, I live in a salt mining community so that painting is one of my favorites too. We have a big Morton Salt mine right here...."when it rains it pours"!

      Delete
  9. The song "A Fella with an umbrella" is going through my head. It is from "Easter Parade" and it is sung by Peter Lawford to Judy Garland. I have been caught more than once without an umbrella so you have the right idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved that song! It is now going to be stuck in my head. LOL

      Delete
  10. I don't read much poetry because most of it isn;t very good. But I really do like Longfellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge poetry fan. But it has to rhyme or have a story or I don't like it!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!