Tuesday, March 17, 2015

When I Find The Pot of Gold

Ten on Tuesday: Happy St. Patrick's Day! Today Carole has us searching for a leprechaun so we can steal his pot of gold. She even did research to find that a pot of gold would be worth $335,000. Now she wants to know what would be Ten Things I would Buy if I found a Pot of Gold! $335,00 is a lot of money but if won't last forever and it won't buy everything I want so I will have to spend it wisely for sure!

1. The first thing I would do if I had a bunch of money lying around needing to be spent, without a thought of groceries, gas, or utility bills....I would go to the dentist and get all my teeth fixed. I would love to have a mouth-full of 'pearly whites.'

2. I would put hardwood floors throughout my house. Right now I have carpet in every single room but the baths and the entry way. Yes, even in the kitchen there is carpet. And white carpet to boot! I can't even imagine who was so dumb as to chose white carpet throughout a house. (cough*cough* it couldn't have been me)!

3. I would purchase a very good, used pick-up truck for Darian to drive. And when he leaves for the Marines, I would pass it on to Harley! We need a pick-up truck around this house to haul things to the dump.

4. A week long vacation to the beach somewhere for just me! Take along my Nook with lots of unread books, my sunglasses, unlimited island style drinks and eats. Oh sweet heaven!!

5. Then after I was fully refreshed from my week at the beach, I would take my grandkids and we'd go on another vacation. And they get to pick where. Maybe a cruise! I think they would like that. To an exotic island somewhere. With diving, snorkeling, and more lying on the beach for granny.

6. I would get myself a new car. The one I now have is 15 years old with almost 120,000 miles and is beginning to need work. One more new car should last me until the end of my life. Don't you think?

7. I would hire someone to come in and paint all the interior walls and woodwork in my house. It really needs painting and since that is not one of my favorite things to do I keep putting it off.

8. I would get some new furniture for the entire house. New tables, chairs, beds, and the works. I cannot imagine having everything new at one time. But with all these walls freshly painted and my new hardwood floors I would need new furniture.

9. I would buy Justin a new car. He does a lot of driving from his house to ours and his current car needs to be replaced.....

10. If there is anything left (which I told you it wouldn't last long) I'd put it into the grandkids college funds. I don't believe in paying for their entire education but I do like to help. Don't you think they appreciate it more and work harder if they are paying for some of their education?

Wow! That was quick! But well spent. Now excuse me while I go pack for the beach!



24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list!! I love your back-to-back vacations, though I might flip them... either way, VACAY!! I have the opposite at my house -- all hardwood and only one room with wall-to-wall carpet. Sometimes (in the winter), I wish I had carpeting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is a case of: Are we ever happy with what we have? You are right...I would need that vacation alone after being with teenagers...!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I want vacations, so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree - kids will work harder and take their education more seriously (in most cases, but not all) if THEY are on the hook for some of it. Excellent list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're on the same wave length with new furnishings and new cars. My car is 17 years old and has nearly 200,000 on it, but I think it has another 100,000 in it. I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW...200,000. Maybe there is hope for mine

      Delete
  5. Great list. I'd love to redo my bathroom and new cabinets for the kitchen, and when that's done I'm off for a month in England. A girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreaming is what keeps us going isn't it?

      Delete
  6. We've got a couple of vehicles with 180-200,000 on them. I should have put that I would buy my husband a new car first! (I wonder if he'll remark to me?!) Great list Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super list, Paula. I'm right there with you about carpeting. So many times I've wondered, "What in the H*** was I thinking?"
    ... and speaking of painting, we just got a notice from the HOA that the exterior of our house (not even 10 y/o!!!) needs repainted. Sure could use that pot o'gold right about now!

    ... Then again, how about I just go AWOL and meet ya'all on the beach! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carpet used to be the thing Myra. We were all so proud when we could own wall to wall carpeting. I just repainted last year and the white is starting to yellow some! Pisses me off

      Delete
  8. Whoever owned this house before us, put white carpet on one section of the stairs. And that was the only carpet in the house! We ripped it off when we repainted the upstairs, and they went to town on nailing and stapling it on there, sheesh! Oh sitting on a nice warm sunny tropical beach sounds wonderful. I'll come with you and carry your luggage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could come with me and sit on the beach. We'd spend time getting to know each other. NO need to carry my luggage!

      Delete
  9. Fun post for St. Patrick's Day! And a great wish list too. There is hope for your car. Mine is 13 years old and I have over 180,000 on it. I still get a guy once a year of so who asks me if he can buy it from me. With computerized mills in machine shops making precision parts, engines can last longer than they used to. My goal is over 200,000, for sure as long as I take it in regularly for everything. And yes to paying for education - all or part. I paid for all of mine. I worked seven days a week twelve hours a day and I didn't skip classes either. The vacations sound grand!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably need to start taking my in once in awhile just to make sure things are all up to par. That was another of those jobs that belonged to Richard!

      Delete
    2. It's good to have friends/acquaintances who are widows, because we can learn a lot from each other . . . like the things our husbands did that we have to do now.

      Delete
  10. That was a cute list to read, Paula! I have found lately that the trend seems to be with hardwood floors; the house we live in has them, not a carpet in sight and the house we are remodeling where we used to live, we decided to put hard wood floors in it too (my thought was its easier to clean up hard wood floors than a spill on carpet :)

    I do agree, a little help with college education but for them to have to work a bit for it, it will surely be more appreciated I think!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think hardwoods would be so much easier. I sure wish I could afford them. Ah maybe someday....I'll keep dreaming

      Delete
  11. And you would probably have enough money to take me with you on those vacations. I wouldn't talk much, we could just sit and read together on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I would take you! Wouldn't that be fun?

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!