Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Ten on Tuesday


Ten on Tuesday: Today the premise is that we are having a dinner party and we can invite 10 fictional characters. Here is who I would invite.

1-2. Alex and Nana Mama Cross from James Patterson's Alex Cross books. I think he would have some fascinating stories to tell. Some of them might have to wait until after dinner so he wouldn't ruin our appetites. And Nana Mama is such a spit-fire. She'd be a joy to have at any dinner.

3. Alice from Still Alice. I would want her to know she is still Alice. A person to be valued. No matter that she has Alzheimer's.

4. Ayla from The Clan of the Cave Bear series. She would be so amazed at all the changes that have been made since she was alive so many, many, many years ago.

5. Tom Joad from The Grapes of Wrath so he could share with us his adventures of the Dust Bowl days when his family traveled to California to seek The American Dream.

6. Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird...he would be the voice of reason and calm at this rambunctious dinner party.

7. Tom Sawyer....I'm a sucker for colorful characters and we know what tales this guy would bring.

8. Huck Finn...he'd need to be there to help keep Tom under control. Ha! Ha! Or to help him get into mischief.

9. Nancy Drew...just because she was such a close childhood friend. How could I not invite her?



10. Sherlock Holmes...he is the greatest detective of all time. And I love detectives!!

Now that is sure not a balanced dinner table. Not enough women. Oh well, that is just how it goes sometimes. I have to get busy and plan the menu now. Tell me who would you invite?

28 comments:

  1. How could I forget Alice?! Still Alice is one of my favorite books, and I would love the chance to chat with her, no matter whether she was in the beginning, middle, or end stage of her Alzheimer's disease. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonny! I just think how many of those with Alzheimer's often are forgotten!

      Delete
  2. Oh some of the people on your list definitely came to mind for me at different times.

    And even though I just finished "Still Alice," I didn't think of inviting her, and I think - as you do - that she would be an excellent guest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she would too. Thanks Bridget!

      Delete
  3. I love your list! I agree about Nancy Drew - we were "close" when I was growing up!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was a time when Nancy and I were best friends.

      Delete
  4. This was cute to read, Paula! It surely would be a lovely dinner party indeed!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might get a bonus and have Tom and Huck o
    Paint your fence while they are waiting for dinner. Fun list:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a great idea. But I tore the fence down last year LOL

      Delete
  6. Maybe you could ask them to bring dates??? Great list full of interesting characters, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know who I would invite, but there would have to be someone on the guest list who would do the cooking and then someone else to wash the dishes. I'm tired of those two chores! What a fun post, though! Speaking of Ayla, Minnesota has its own Ayla in the form of an Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin. Ayla was born with scoliosis. HEr name came from Clan of the Cave Bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I'm sure on my list that Nana Mama could do the cooking. And who better to wash the dishes but Tom, Huck, and Nancy! Have you read the Clan of the Cave Bear series?

      Delete
    2. I din't read the series, but knew about Ayla. Angel was pretty young when the series began. I was busy reading Dr. Seuss and and other kids books to her. My sister read the series and told me about it. And I should have said we HAD Ayla at the zoo. She had to be put down when her scoliosis caused her health to deteriorate. Nancy might have had to check the plates for fingerprints before she washed them, I think. Loved that girl!

      Delete
    3. It was a great series. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes to read

      Delete
  8. I would invite Marilla, Anne and Matthew Cuthbert to dinner! Maybe you could invite the Hardy Boys, but they would fight over Nancy, and that is never good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Anne of Green Gables, but I shall one day!

      Delete
  9. How fun! I seriously love populating fantasy dinner parties.
    'Wish these didn't have to be fictional characters -- in one fell swoop I'd invite "The Girls from Ames" to nosh; and perhaps host a pajama party! Playing by the rules, the only one I can think of right now is Kinsey Millhone (Sue Grafton series) -- my heroine/soul sister.
    PS - This reminds me, I must read 'Still Alice.'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of these Sue Grafton books. But loving mysteries the way that I do, I should!

      Delete
  10. Oh Ayla for sure....I loved that series. Atticus Finch was the first name that popped into my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some of my favorite books. I always read at night, in bed, and all I could think of when I was reading the series is that I need some meat to gnaw on. LOL!! It's sad that the series ended. But it can't go on forever!

      Delete
  11. Wow what a crazy dinner party! Take good pictures! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....there should be an app for that. We could actually have pictures with the people we wanted sitting around a dinner table. And oh the conversations!

      Delete
  12. You picked some good ones here! I still need to see the movie Still Alice. It looks like a great one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!