Monday, March 30, 2015

My Simple Woman's DayBook -March 30th Edition

For Today...
 
Today is March 30, 2015. Monday! Spring break is over and the kiddos are back in school. But only for 4 days, as Friday is Good Friday. I have often wondered why they can't combine Good Friday with Spring Break and get it all out of the way at once. Guess that would just make too much sense, huh?
 


Outside my window...
 
It is sunny and 65* today in my neck of the woods. No wind for the moment. Yesterday we had gusty winds of 25-35 mph. I like the warmer weather, but I don't like wind. I guess I shouldn't be complaining when there are still areas that are cold with snow on the ground. We are to see highs in the 80's this week. Yippee!


I am thinking...
 
I am thinking about my grandson. He is so close to turning 18 and making his own decisions in life. Scary! But isn't that what raising them is all about? It is about them getting to that age, we say good-bye, and they fly away on their own. We had a long talk last night and I let him know that he needs to start preparing and making some of his own life's decisions now. While he is home and can make those mistakes that are inevitable. Only one more year of high school! Oh my!


I am thankful...
 
I am thankful to have had the kids here with me these past 6 years. But I will be ready to let them go when they are ready. And then it will be granny who is learning to live on her own. I wonder if I will be ready for that experience.


I am wearing...
 
I am wearing yoga shorts and a tee shirt. Nothing special. Pretty much what I always wear. I wouldn't know what I was to do if I had to dress up. Or wear a nurse's uniform again.


I am creating...
 
I am NOT creating anything right now. I am writing this entry and I will be planning my menu. That is all for today!


I am going...
 
I am going to do a few loads of laundy and tidy up the kitchen today. Tomorrow I plan to do some work in the backyard. The rest of the week I will play it by ear. See what I feel like doing! That is the joyful part of being retired. I do what I want to do.


I am wondering...
 
I am wondering when it will be safe to move all the houseplants outside. I love taking them out. It makes the house look bare for a bit. But they thrive so out in the weather. I just have to make sure it doesn't get too cold at night. And no freak snowstorms please. That is probably why I will wait until later in April.


I am reading...
 
I am reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. This is the first of what I think are seven Odd Thomas books to follow. I read books by Dean Koontz years ago but nothing lately. Several of my blogging friends have read the Odd Thomas books and recommended them. I am not very far into the first book. It just is not grabbing me yet. Maybe it is the outside that is calling to me. Maybe I am just not ready for dead people and bodachs. I don't know what it is. But I am plodding forward and hoping it will grab me and suck me in. I love it when a book does that, don't you?
 


I am hoping...
 
Oh geez, I don't know what I am hoping for. I hope for inspiration and energy. I hope that I get things done inside and out this spring. I hope I can decide about a garden pretty soon. I hope I decide if I want to plant flowers, or not! I hope! I hope I can decide!


I am learning...
 
I am going to learn what my first summer without Richard will be like. We both loved to work side by side outdoors. We were a pretty awesome team too. We would work silently side by side. I knew what he wanted and he knew what I wanted. He would dig. I would plant. A system is what we had. And I will miss it. Very much! Might be a bucket-load of tears falling into the soil this spring!


In my garden...
 
Richard had created quite a few raised beds out back. I am going to take them all out except for the one that is the biggest. I won't be doing all the vegetables that he liked to do. I haven't even really decided if I am going to do any. But I am contemplating tomatoes, for sure. Might even do them in a container. Just haven't yet decided. Once I go out and start to turn the soil I am praying the inspiration comes. Along with the desire.
 


In my kitchen...
 
 
Monday...Juicy Onion Burger Steaks, Macaroni and cheese, garden fresh peas
 
Tuesday...chicken and stuffing

 
Wednesday...church for kids
 
Thursday...Potato Soup
 
Saturday...Reuben Sandwiches

 
Sunday... Easter

Ham, Sweet potatoes, corn, Watergate Salad, Sopapilla Cheesecake
 


 


A favorite quote for today...
 
Isn't that the truth!
 


 














 

One of my favorite things...
 
One of my favorite things is getting to wash my car in the driveway. I don't really like carwashes. They just don't seem to get the car as clean as I can. Richard used to tease about the car..."it's time for a Paula wash".
I did that yesterday. It was quite gusty out! But I filled the bucket with soapy water and scrubbed the winter off the car. Ran out of steam before I got to the inside. I will do that this week. And wash all the windows. Inside and out. This old car is really starting to show it's age. She is 15 this summer. Just like Harley and Paige. I think they have aged better. She has plenty of scratches and dings and cracks in the plastic spoiler. But she is still a pretty car. And she still gets me to where I am going. I just don't go like I used to!


From the board room...
 
I have always wanted to paint the hutch. Richard would ever hear of it. "What, paint over solid oak! Are you crazy?" It sits in our 'reading room' because there isn't room in the dining room. So I use it for books and tchotchkes. What do you think? Paint it? Keep it like it is? Sell it? The white one is pinned on my Pinterest Board FURNITURE MAKE-OVERS.  
 
http://www.songbirdblog.com/milk-paint-hutch-makeover-reveal-yeah/#_pg_pin=573184
Songbird
 
This one is mine
 


 
 











 
 
 
 
Post Script:
 
It's coming! Almost time for the A to Z Blogging Challenge. Will you be participating? I am ready and have about half my posts ready to go. My topic this year is
Lessons I Have Learned from Life: A to Z! You can check out my post here. And click on the picture to go find out what the challenge is all about!
 
 
 
***********************************
 
I will be linking up With The Simple Woman's Blog!



 

22 comments:

  1. Paint it! My Husb says the same thing. I did it. He had a cow. Now he loves it. Says it is "refreshing". All those years with that oak. Ughgh... You can always go back if you don't like it, but I think you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably paint it. But I have to wait and make sure this is what I want to do. I am sure he will stand right beside me as I do it. LOL!

      Delete
  2. It's still snowing here, although it isn't accumulating there are big fat flakes coming down. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kwiz, I feel your pain! Spring will come. I promise

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I need my eyes checked, when I first saw your menu, I thought you had typed "Juicy onion burger SHAKES"! I thought that could be interesting..... TEMPERATURES IN THE 80'S?? Is that even possible, oh I sure hope that happens here again! I say paint the hutch, it will look beautiful! It is a lovely hutch, btw! I also prefer to wash my car by hand, it gets so much cleaner that way. I will send you the directions for the potatoes, I love growing those, it is like a treasure hunt! You will very much miss having your Richard working alongside you, that will be hard for sure. Big hugs for you, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellie. You always lift my spirits. Especially when I think of making those SHAKES! LOL! I know that I will miss him. It will be hard

      Delete
  4. I think you should paint the hutch. Sometimes an entire room can appear different with just a few changes.

    Tomato plants are an essential in almost any garden. If you plant flowers, which would you plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far everyone votes for painting it! I usually only plant annuals! And mostly in containers. I have a couple of flower beds I haven't decided about yet.

      Delete
  5. Ah! The comment about the solid oak reminds me of my husband. He built solid oak cabinetry and computer desks and well, just about anything out of wood for years with his brother. Perhaps as you get outside this spring you'll find a comforting presence with you as you work.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B ~ One of Tremp's Troops with the
    A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara for stopping by. I am hoping for that comforting presence!

      Delete
  6. Try chalk painting it Paula....I think it would look wonderful. Frank said the same thing when I was going to chalk paint the pieces for the baby's room and he was very pleasantly surprised when I was donw at how beautiful they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about chalk paint~I remember when you did the baby's furniture and how beautiful it turned out

      Delete
  7. That's pretty neat about your keeping the lines of communication open with Darian ... allowing him to trip and fall while there's still a safety net.

    Looks like I'm in the minority re. painting the hutch. I'm a huge fan of natural woods. Then again, maybe its just the cabinet style on 'Bachelor #1' that I'm not fond of. Like others said, go for it .. and if you don't like the results you can always go back. (And the process might be great fun!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much easier to do the second time around with allowing them to trip and fall. I get so exasperated with him that I think it is just time to let him make his own decisions. Hopefully he won't fall too hard. We'll see! I can't decide on whether to paint it or not! LOL...Bachelor #`1!

      Delete
  8. Glad that it is warming up later this week! Good exercise to wash the car! I like your Easter menu :) Wise to start having talks with Darian as he approaches entering the world of adult hood; I'm sure he will do great! I'm exciting to read your posts for the A/Z!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that! I am hurting all over today from that dang car wash

      Delete
  9. Oh, forgot to vote. I think it might be good to paint the hutch; might brighten up things and give the room a new look!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to paint the room too...and strip that ugly wallpaper!

      Delete
  10. I say go for it and paint it white!! I love when a book sucks you in! And then am sad when I finish it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that most have agreed that I should paint it white!

      Delete
  11. We have had 60 mph winds here the last few days. It was crazy. Sounds like you have some great plans coming up. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some storms moving into our area tonight. I hope we miss the high winds.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!