Monday, March 16, 2015

My Simple Woman's DayBook Entry-March 16th Edition

For Today...
 
March 16, 2015


Outside my window...
 
Outside my window is the most beautiful spring day. To go from freezing cold to this is a wonder! The sky is such an azure blue with the tiniest of  wispy white clouds. Almost like bits of smoke in the air. The sun shines its warmth down upon my backyard. The temperature is 59* and rising. God Bless Springtime!
 
 


I am thinking...
 
I am thinking about spring break next week and the things the kids and I are going to do. Like sleep late and maybe stay up a bit later. We might watch a movie or two. But mainly, if the weather holds out for us, we will be raking leaves!!


I am thankful...
 
There is so much to be thankful for at our house. I am thankful that I can stay home. I am thankful that I can stay in this home. And I am thankful that my home is a good home.


I am wearing...
 
Today I have moved into shorts. Black yoga shorts and a teal striped tee shirt. NO socks!!


I am creating...
 
As well as creating this post, I am working on the weekly menu. You will find it below "in the kitchen."


I am going...
 
I am going to pick the kids up from school later today. It will be Darian's last appointment with the doctor who has prescribed his medications. He is now off all meds. Yippee for Darian!


I am wondering...
 
 
I am wondering if my tummy is upset because of all the corned beef and cabbage I ate yesterday. I cooked the most delicious corned beef in the crockpot. I followed this recipe suggested by my friend Wendy who blogs at A Day in the Life on the Farm. She writes about amazing cooking and other fine things from her life. Go pay her a visit!
 


I am reading...
 
I am still reading Executive Privilege, by Phillip Margolin. When I finish this (which will be later today) I am going to start Me Before You, by JoJo Moyes. I have had a few recommendations for this book so I am anxious to start it!
 


I am hoping...
 
I am hoping that our beautiful weather will hold out for all of Spring break next week. I have such big plans for in the back yard. I think Darian and Harley are secretly hoping for a bit of rain!!


I am learning...
 
I am learning (memorizing) 1 Corinthians 1-13. This was suggested by Betty, A Bench With A View. I have enjoyed the verse very much. My next project will be back with The Do Not Depart group as we take on James 1. These verses will be memorized from March 30-August 2. I love using Scripture Typer when memorizing. You should check it out if you haven't used it! And sign up to join the group if you'd like.


In my garden...

A new category this week is 'in my garden.' I have many plans for the garden this summer. Yet I will keep them simple to start. Many, many leaves to rake and bag to start with. And I am removing most of the raised beds and just concentrating on one smaller area to plant my tomatoes, cucumbers, and a squash or two. Keeping it simple this year.
 


In my kitchen...


Monday...clean up the leftovers Day
Tuesday...Bacon Cheddar baked potatoes
Wednesday...kids eat at church
Thursday...One Pot Taco Rice Skillet
Friday...Bean soup with cornbread
Saturday...Chicken enchiladas from the freezer
Sunday...Sweet and sour chicken with rice (freezer)
 




A favorite quote for today...


This quote is so true. None of us are promised tomorrow.


A peek into one of my days...

Another busy week here. Darian has an appointment today and then again tomorrow. And they only go to school 1/2 day on Friday. Then a full week of spring break.


One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is watching The Good Wife! Are there any others of you who are enjoying this show?


From the board room...

Another new category this week. I will post one of my favorite Pinterest pins. Along with the link for you. I think this would be so cute hung on the wall somewhere in my house.

You can find these here at Fab and Free along with many other things that are amazing pintables. I guarantee you will be spending a lot of time just browsing here.
 


Post Script


This week I would like to leave you with a tip I discovered this weekend. My teenage girls had a spa day while Paige was here to visit. They took over the main bathroom for half the day applying mud masks, doing their hair and polishing finger and toe nails. Paige slipped on the tile floor and broke a bottle of bright coral nail polish which splashed onto the wall. They first tried to clean it up without telling granny! Which only just smeared more polish around in a larger area. After using everything we could think of (nail polish remover did NOT work) I used a small can of Goof Off I found in the garage. Richard bought it once to clean up some super-glue he spilled. This stuff is amazing. And removed the nail polish without any damage at all to the paint!


I am linking up with The Simple Woman's Blog.

(The link-up is not yet up but I will put it there when Peggy gets the link up)

 
 

20 comments:

  1. Glad you are memorizing that scripture, Paula; gives me incentive to go back and re learn it myself! I am going to have to check out that recipe for corned beef; I've only made it a few times and it came out not good at all (maybe because I'm not Irish?) So good to hear that the weather is actually spring like and warm!! I too hope it stays like that for spring break!

    I'll remember that about Goof Off if we have a cleaning problem to resolve!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first corned beef and cabbage that I made that I actually loved. When I have made it before I hated it! Now I am going to the store after St. Pat's day and see if they have some marked down. I will cook them for Rueben sandwiches which we love! I am enjoying the scripture learning very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shorts! Oh how I am ready to put mine on again!! I too was very thankful that I was able to be a stay at home while my boys were younger. Enjoy your time with them!! Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, shorts! But they were short-lived. Tomorrow will be 20* colder. That is what I hate about this time of the year. I am a stay-at-home granny! Raising two grandchildren!!

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhh, shorts. I dream of wearing shorts again, sometime hopefully this year, lol! I cannot wait to get out in the yard and do some work, but it will be awhile yet. I hope your spring weather sticks around for your break next week. Our break is this week, but we are forecast for another snow storm tomorrow into Wednesday. I am taking the week off from home schooling, but likely will take another off when they weather turns nice. I am pretty sure that will happen.... Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your snow pictures. Egads!! Enough already, huh? Hope your week is good

      Delete
  5. Funny, but I've never tasted corned beef and cabbage! It's a little late for St. Paddy's day, but I'm game for anything done in the crockpot.
    It's been a good long while since I squirted SuperGlue all over my fingers and desktop (yes, really - right before a Board meeting!) ... but I'm going to remember this recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try the corned beef once at least. It is an acquired taste I believe. And yes by all means keep Goof Off in mind should you ever have an accident with super glue. It is like magic

      Delete
  6. Aw man. I was all stoked about the Scripture Typer website, but the actual app isn't available for PC. It give the option, but it just loops back to the same website. Oh well.

    Great daybook. Have a fabulous week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is available for PC. You just have to join. Try this link :https://scripturetyper.com/login.aspx

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the plug Paula. I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe. I'm sorry your tummy is acting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just have a problem whenever I eat cabbage. It is much better tonight! I hope everyone will try your recipe. My beef was delicious!!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your day; your menu - I'll be right over!!! Hahaha!! I certainly can't plan that far ahead!! I go from day to day - hubby usually asks the day before "What are we going to eat tomorrow night?" and I have NO idea to answer him!

    Thanks for the cleaning tidbit too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that it really has helped me in so many ways to menu plan: saves money, helps to know what I'm having when it is 5 p.m. and I don't have a clue, the kid like knowing ahead of time.....your should give it a try Barbara!

      Delete
  9. Hi Paula - it sounds like you're really organised .. and that's wonderful you're looking forward to the Spring break and having some fun times, while doing some good deeds for the garden .. So pleased Darian is doing so well ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be really organized. Not so much anymore. But I keep trying.

      Delete
  10. I have never watched The Good Wife. Between sports and our favorite cooking shows we don't get a lot of other things watched on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched it before Richard died. But I have fallen in love with it. I have now watched all the past seasons/.

      Delete
  11. I wonder if the Goof Off would remove black hair dye from a blonde wood bathroom vanity spilled by a teen having a similar day. Love your new 'In the Garden' section!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!