Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gray Mountain



Overview from Banes and Noble

The Great Recession of 2008 left many young professionals out of work. Promising careers were suddenly ended as banks, hedge funds, and law firms engaged in mass lay-offs and brutal belt tightening. Samantha Kofer was a third year associate at Scully & Pershing, New York City's largest law firm. Two weeks after Lehman Brothers collapsed, she lost her job, her security, and her future. A week later she was working as an unpaid intern in a legal aid clinic deep in small town Appalachia. There, for the first time in her career, she was confronted with real clients with real problems. She also stumbled across secrets that should have remained buried deep in the mountains forever.

First of all I have to tell you I love John Grisham. I have read a fair amount of his books: The Confession, The Runaway Jury and my all time favorite The Pelican Brief as well as others.

I don't believe John Grisham wrote this book. It wasn't anything like his books I love. The story fell flat in my opinion. It was all about big coal companies and how they are ruining the lives of so many mountain people. I didn't like the main character. She was a pathetic little whiner who should have stayed in New York. I don't think she has what it takes to go up against these big time lawyers. She was just not convincing to me. I would have liked it better, I think, if the main character would have been the lawyer he killed off, Donovan. The ending was horrible. I wanted the stories to be wrapped up. At least some of the big lawsuits. I'm wondering if we will see Samantha Kofer in future books. Bottom line is this: the story was okay. It sure didn't pull me in. And I want proof that John really wrote this book!!


10 comments:

  1. Wow....I love Grisham as well....thanks for the alert. There are too many great books out there to waste time with one you don't love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Wendy! But you might like it. I just didn't

      Delete
  2. Interesting, Paula, with the style being different from his usual books. I haven't read a lot of his books so I wouldn't be able to catch this, but if I read something from Danielle Steele, I would know if she wrote it or not because she has a definite style in her writing (and you can usually tell how the book is going to go within 50 pages of it).

    That's a shame with this book because I do think he is a good writer. It would be interesting to read some of the reviews of the book on Amazon or another site and see if others feel it is subpar to his usual writing and if someone else wrote it. I know hubby likes Clive Cussler and a lot of times he'll team up with another writer to write a book, but both names are clearly listed on the book.

    Sounds like it could have been a good book/plot if better written.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Betty. I am going to go to Amazon and check out some of the reviews. Richard loved Clive Cussler too. Way too deep for me :)

      Delete
  3. It's a real bummer when favorite authors don't deliver. Boo hiss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eww... Bummer. He is one of my favorite authors too. I'm going to have to make a sit and read it on an RV vacay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paula .. interesting and if you didn't like it - you didn't ... but I did pop over to that dreaded A place to see what they said ... and it's got great write ups - it's just different, with a different style. I haven't read many of Grisham's books but can see why people get hooked with them ... but at some stage I think I'd enjoy this one - having checked out the A site! Sorry that it didn't satisfy you .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I didn't like it......it just wasn't one of his usual fascinating reads. I looked on Amazon too and found quite a few that thought like I did. Oh well on to others. There are too many books and too little time

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!