Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Food Memories

My friend Wendy recently reminded me how many of my memories are tied to food. Do you remember things that way too?

As a child I can remember things like my mom and her best friend standing all day in the kitchen making fried pies. And we kids ate them as fast as they came out of the deep fryer. I remember corn fritters. And bierocks. Only we called them cabbage rolls.  That was before I grew up and found their was really such a thing called cabbage rolls and they were rolled into a cabbage leaf. Crazy.
fried pie

At grandma's house I remember the cherry tree she could see from her kitchen window. And cherry pies. Or us just picking the cherries up from the ground and eating them on the spot. I remember Sunday dinners of fried chicken. Every single Sunday. This is just what we had for dinner at grandma's house. And often she would go out into the back yard and chop the chicken's head off that very morning. I didn't really like my grandma much. Maybe it is why these particular memories stick with me the most. I see her with that hatchet in her hand. And that headless chicken running around the yard.


When I think about my years in Girl Scouts I almost always think of 'Girl Scout Stew'.(and Thin Mint cookies). This is where we took a hamburger patty, a peeled, sliced potato and carrot and wrapped them all in foil to cook on the camp fire.  The boys called it 'Boy Scout Stew'. And Richard called it 'Camp fire stew.' Or pocket meals. Speaking of Cub Scouts...I have a pretty vivid memory of the Blue and Gold Banquets with cake frosting died dark blue and dark yellow. Yummy!

I often think of picnics when we were growing up. They generally involved hot dogs, marshmallows, and watermelon. Typical summer food.

My best friend and I were sitting around one morning years ago discussing what constituted comfort food in our minds. We were sharing images of mashed potatoes and fried pies when Justin, who was around 12 at the time, said he would always think of Hamburger Helper as the comfort food that reminded him of his mom. Funny then! Still funny! Although I hope he has other ideas of comfort food now.

Isn't it funny how certain foods can take you to those special places of your past. Snickerdoodles always takes me to the first house Richard and I shared. Don't know why. But it does. Fresh pineapple will put me on a cruise ship across the table from Richard each and every time. Onion rings finds me sitting in the car next to Richard parked at Sonic. Oysters will always remind me of my dad!

What kinds of food memories do you have? Are there foods, that when you see them or smell them, transport you to another time?







18 comments:

  1. Brownies! There were 6 of us kids and I never got enough. That is probably by I love them so much today. Yum. I can smell them now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum we never had brownies when I was a kid...not that I remember anyway.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my DH would love this! He frequently speaks of his mother's and grandmothers' Polish cooking.
    Regrettably, I've few foodie memories. Unless you count tapioca pudding, there wasn't a lot of cooking that went on at our home. But to this day, I can't pass a HoJo w/o thinking of my dad's passion for pistachio ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard loved tapioca pudding....me, not so much! But pistachio ice cream sound divine!

      Delete
  3. This was fun to read, Paula; there are so many memories associated with food indeed :) Smelling bacon sometimes when I was out walking Koda would remind me of Saturday mornings growing up; sometimes my mom would fry bacon and we would have bacon and eggs. I have never been able to duplicate how she made the bacon and eggs together, the taste was delicious. Holidays were always a bake feast growing up so when I see cookies around the holiday reminds me of that. Comfort food for me is pasta, LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. I had fun putting it together. Thanks for sharing your food memories...I suppose you will smell bacon and think of Koda too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula .. your letter to Richard was lovely ... I'm sure he's watching, listening and laughing as you used to do. Food and memories ... I get transported to Cornwall - for home made Cornish pasties ... but deep fried food was a real treat - we rarely had!

    Take care and with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary. I hope you are right about Richard. Cornish pastries sound interesting. You will have to share recipes sometime

      Delete
  5. For me it is apple cakes and apple pies and leftover pie crust sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked. I am glad I helped nudge some memories for you, hopefully they were happy ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wendy Thank you! And apples are a special thing for you aren't they?

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! I read your post before dinner and it made me hungry! Fun post. My mother was a good cook, but my food memories are of a few things my grandmother made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother wasn't really that great of a cook but those fried pies and corn fritters were very special.

      Delete
  7. All I can tell you is every single person who has ate at my mom's table is convinced there is no cook like her. Holiday memories revolve some around helping prepare the food and certain foods are only cooked in my family special times of the year. So, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm....Pink bubble gum ice cream from Baskin Robbins always takes me back to when I first got married, we used to go out for ice cream a lot. My mom was not the greatest cook either, but it was still good. Aside from the time she made home made spaghetti sauce. She was so happy with it! She made it with that wagon wheel pasta, and the sauce was only the skins and seeds...but no actual sauce!! It was fairly awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love these memories! And oh for a Baskin Robbins ice cream right now. We don't have a store here anymore

      Delete
  9. My Grandma baked her pies, but they were usually chocolate. She would also make a chocolate pudding pie around the holidays. She also made apple pies from the Gravenstein apple trees that grew in my Grandpa's orchard. They were the best. My Mom always made Rice-A-Roni and would mix eggs and SPAM and teriyaki sauce into it. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate Pie was my step-dad's favorite! I can't imagine rice-a-ronie with spam eggs and teriyaki

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!