Saturday, February 21, 2015

To Kill A Mockingbird

The overview from Barnes and Noble:


Overview

Lawyer Atticus Finch defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic, Puliter Prize-winning novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white woman. Through the eyes of Atticus's children, Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unanswering honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930's.


I can't believe I had never read this classic. I was sure that once I started reading it I would remember it. But I didn't!

It was a good book. Not, in my mind, a GREAT book. I did enjoy it. I found that it lost me at times with boring descriptions of things I was not sure really added to the story. I found the characters to be well developed although somewhat elusive. And the one of the main characters behind the story you hardly even heard  of until the trial. (Tom Robinson) The story being told through the eyes of a small girl made have been some of the reason that the story felt like it just didn't flow from the beginning to the end. I was extremely disappointed in the ending. After all the big build up for the trial it just ended in a whimper as far as I was concerned. I guess I understand why this is considered a 'great' classic but it won't stick me with me the way Grapes of Wrath will. 




6 comments:

  1. Now Grapes of Wrath was another great book too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy Grapes of Wrath a lot more than To Kill a Mockingbird

      Delete
  2. I have never read the Grapes of Wrath. Now I will have to order it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read To Kill a Mockingbird in high school. It was all right. Maybe I'd see it different now, as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am hearing that so many read this book in high school I am wondering if my opinion of the book would have been different had I been a teen....good question!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!