Monday, February 23, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook February 23rd Edition

FOR TODAY...February 23, 2015

Outside my window...It is really bright. Because the ground is covered with the snow we received yesterday. It is partly cloudy. And only 14* but feels like 5* due to the windchill. Snow is one thing. But freezing is another! Looking forward to the warmth of spring. 

I am thinking...that I really spend a lot of time thinking and hoping for spring. I know that I should relish everyday. But I long for warmth. Maybe I should be looking at warm places to live. Only 3 1/2 more years of Harley in high school and maybe I can think about moving. Hmmm....something to ponder. 

I am thankful...for all that I have. Life could be so much worse. Couldn't it?

In the kitchen...

Monday..Leftovers

Tuesday...Harley's last home BB game Hot-dogs

Wednesday...Church for the kids

Thursday...Chicken Wraps and Mexican rice

Friday...Harley's Last BB game of the season

Sunday...Bierocks

I am wearing...what I always wear. Grey pants today with royal blue tee!

I am creating...nothing!

I am going...to take today off. I am finding that I need a day to myself after a weekend. I am struggling with weekends right now. I find myself always on the verge of tears. Don't really know why. 

I am wondering...why so many actors/actresses find the need to make their thank you speeches so political. Just say "Thank you" and leave the stage!

I am reading...Grey Mountain by John Grisham.

I am hoping...this book will be as good as most of his are.

I am looking forward to...the end of winter sports!!!

I am learning...that life is hard! And it doesn't get any easier. And that's just the way it is!

Around the house...I don't want to do anything. One of those days. So I am going to sit and read. 

I am pondering...what I will do with myself once this second batch of kids leave home.

A favorite quote for today...


One of my favorite things...is my heart walking around outside my body....





A few plans for the rest of the week:
Scouts and Basketball!!


A peek into my day...

These girls shoveled snow for me yesterday....


Let's all get on over to The Simple Woman's Blog  and share some love for the ladies and their weekly entry.


29 comments:

  1. It's hard to be upbeat when the weather is so frightful. Curl up with a cup of tea and your book and take the day off....you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the weather! I didn't do much today

      Delete
  2. You got great snow shovelers! Brr with those temps; I agree, stay snuggled some place reading!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paula! I hate winter ( repeat 500 times!). How much snow did you get? Any snow is too much snow, lol! We are getting more snow and it will be -22 F here the next day or so! I think bears have the right idea, hibernation! You must be so glad winter sports are almost done, it is a lot of running around and gets old after awhile. I hope you had a nice day of reading, and hope you have a great week, and that the weather warms up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got less than 2 inches. Not enough to be crying about. Nothing like you have been getting . And talk about freezing....-22! Holy cripes. Stay warm.

      Delete
    2. If you would like some more, we have more than enough to be able to share! We had a slush storm today. But some nice sunny weather for the next little bit ( and not as cold!) Any amount of snow to me is worth crying about, lol!

      Delete
    3. We have more predicted for this coming weekend. Ugh!!

      Delete
  4. This brutally cold winter is wearing me down--psychically, physically, spiritually. Blah! Winter--begone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear that Kwiz! It is so depressing

      Delete
  5. When I first read your menu, I thought Bierocks was a restaurant, so I Googled it and found out it was a German recipe that I've never heard of. YEA! I get to learn and then try something new. Got any tips? Good for you to take the day off and decide to read. We need that time to be ourselves, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom made Bierocks when I was a young girl. I make them by just browing hamburger, onions, and cabbage in a skillet until cabbage is tender. Drain it well. Then I use Rhodes rolls...raise in a muffin tin, flatten them and add a scoop of mixture and fold it up and return to the tin and bake. Oh yummy yummy!

      Delete
    2. That sounds much like the recipe I found online. I haven't used Rhodes in AGES!!! I am definitely going to try making them. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

      Delete
    3. Let me know what you think after you've made them. We LOVE them. I don't make them often enough

      Delete
    4. Guess what's on the menu for tonight. I got the fixings for the bierocks and got to cooking. They are already for dinner . . . minus the one I used in the quality control test. ;-) I will make them again, and I am going to email my cousin and tell her about them too. He dad was my dad's older (by eight years) brother and we're German. She will probably like them too. Thanks a bunch!

      Delete
    5. I'm so glad that you liked them!

      Delete
    6. LOL..guess that means she liked them

      Delete
  6. I was thinking the same thing! (About Bierocks being a restaurant, that is!) My mom used to prepare several German dishes for my dad - but this is new to me!

    Sure agree with what you said about using the Oscars as a platform to promote one's politics, etc., au nausea.
    I wasn't at all impressed by last night's show. Maybe 'sour grapes' on my part because 'my' show didn't win.

    Finally .... (I'll shut up in a sec!) .... I love that quote about your heart walking around outside your body. That's pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like last nights show either. The speeches about politics and race were enough for me. Which show were you wanting to win? My grandson was all about American Sniper. I haven't seen any of them. But I was thrilled that the actress that played Still Alice won. I loved the book!

      Delete
    2. Darian has great taste! (smile) Ya, I didn't really expect Sniper to win, but my heart was hoping and praying. Have a great day!

      Delete
    3. That was exactly what Darian was hoping! He is a huge military fan

      Delete
  7. I completely understand the need for a break after a weekend though, on the outset, it sounds unnecessary. It all depends on what your weekends hold and how stressful they are I just hope you honor your need to soothe yourself on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes the weekends are just tiring!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Paula - lots going on in your home - and I can understand the need to collapse on a Monday - recover your own wits and think ahead. Having had to sit around for the last six weeks - because the hip is healing and I creak ...not sure why it's so creakable everywhere else! I've felt disinspired at times ... it's not easy - but we're here ... we're alive and we have choices ... I do always think of so many who are so much worse off. I do hope you can keep seeing the cheery things and be encouraged in your endeavours ... and don't feel guilty for just being for a while ... take care and with many thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not doing much today either Hilary. And it's Tuesday....good to see you out and about

      Delete
  9. I googled the Bierocks too. My husband says he loves anything with cabbage so I will have to get the ingredients and share the recipe with him. It looks super easy. Wish I could share some of my sunshine with you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will let me know what you think! Today we are having sunshine and it is almost 60*. In Kansas, you never know what the weather will be from one day to the next

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!