Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Everyday was Like Valentine's Day

We will soon be celebrating Valentine's Day in America. A day of telling someone how much you love them. A day when school kids will be agonizing over who gave them a Valentine, and more important, who didn't! Too bad that still exists, isn't it? But there will be laughter and tears all over America. Of this much I am sure.


Valentine's Day with Richard was always special. But not any more special than most of the ordinary days in our life. Yes, he would come home with a giant box of chocolates, a bouquet of flowers, and a sappy card. But he did that many days throughout the year. Not just Valentine's Day.

There was NEVER a day in our entire relationship that I wondered 'if' he loved me. One of the things I was always most certain of: I am loved. We never ended a day without saying "I love you". Even on those days (and we all have them) when I would have rather punched him in the face, I would say "I love you" and he would say it back to me. 
I don't know if that is why we shared such a special love. I just know that is how we lived. Each and every day. 


This year he is gone. But we still share that special love. I know that he is somewhere looking over us. I know that he will feel our love. And I know that we still feel his love. A special love story, like ours, will never have an ending. It's only until we meet again.....


14 comments:

  1. It was neat that he showed his love for you in so many ways and not just on valentine day. I know you will carry that with you always.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will always be my treasure! He was certainly a special man.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet man your Richard was, Paula :). He understood the Valentine's Day isn't just once a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was the sweetest! I was very, very lucky

      Delete
  3. You enjoyed such a special relationship! XOXO to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did! I guess I never knew how lucky I was. Wait, yes I did!!

      Delete
  4. What a blessing to have such a wonderful and sweet husband! I think he is pretty blessed to have such a wonderful wife as well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very blessed to have him for the 30+ years we had together on this earth. I hope that he felt he was blessed to have me. We will meet again someday I know!

      Delete
  5. You and Richard had something very special. Something that some people never get to experience. I often wonder why God chose me to bless with Frank. I am sure Richard often wondered the same....why he was lucky enough to be chosen to be blessed with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Wendy. And I know that what you have with Frank is much the same. I feel it in my bones. We are all very blessed.

      Delete
  6. I just noticed that quote by Dr. Seuss on your side bar .... so true!
    What a wonderful example Richard set for the kids. (Well, you AND Richard, that is.)
    Won't it be neat if Darian turns out to be just that sort of hubby someday? ...and Harley & Paige don't settle for anything less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that Darian will be just like Richard. I know that my youngest son has many of his traits. And my ex-daughter-in-law always tells Paige and Harley they need to look for a man "just like Papa"

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!