Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Goldfinch

Overview (From Barnes and Noble)

WINNER OF THE PULITZER PRIZE
"The Goldfinch is a rarity that comes along perhaps half a dozen times per decade, a smartly written literary novel that connects with the heart as well as the mind....Donna Tartt has delivered an extraordinary work of fiction."—Stephen King, The New York Times Book Review
Theo Decker, a 13-year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives an accident that kills his mother. Abandoned by his father, Theo is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Avenue, disturbed by schoolmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his longing for his mother, he clings to the one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the underworld of art.
As an adult, Theo moves silkily between the drawing rooms of the rich and the dusty labyrinth of an antiques store where he works. He is alienated and in love—and at the center of a narrowing, ever more dangerous circle.
The Goldfinch is a mesmerizing, stay-up-all-night and tell-all-your-friends triumph, an old-fashioned story of loss and obsession, survival and self-invention, and the ruthless machinations of fate.


I just finished reading this and I am torn between waiting to write my review and doing it immediately. While what I think is still right here at the tips of my fingers.Or so closely on my mind, if you know what I mean.
 This book was long..772 pages long. Very good characters. Well developed. I felt like I knew them intimately. I was bothered(much like I was in the book Tell the Wolves I'm Home) by the fact that a young boy is allowed to wander about on the streets of New York without much parental supervision. But, then there wouldn't be a story, would there?
 In this story, the narrator, Theo Dekker, becomes an orphan, the day the museum he is visiting with his mother, blows up. He leaves the museum with an old and valuable painting. It is thrust upon him by an old, dying from the blast, man, along with the man's ring and the address on where to deliver it. He makes his way, first, to live with a wealthy family whose son was a school friend.
 And finally into the life of Hobie, the friend of the dying man from the museum.
 The story is about the painting, The Goldfinch, which Theo keeps for himself and wraps his entire life around. There were several moments when I didn't think I could continue with the story. Lots and lots of words that I am not sure added to it. But, in the end, I always went back to see what was going on with Theo and Boris (one of the best characters in the book, I think)  I am so glad that I stayed with it until the end. This is the kind of book that I would want to read again. But there are just too many other stories out there calling my name.  

10 comments:

  1. I dont read much fiction, I tend to read non-fiction but this sounds very interesting, especially his wondering around streets of NY until a wealthy family takes him in.... I cant even imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something that just struck me as unbelievable. I, as a mother and grandmother, want to know where my kids are every moment. Thanks for visiting me today!

      Delete
  2. I really loved this book. I had to stick with it, too, because there were a couple of times I wanted to put it down for something lighter; I'm so glad I stuck with it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is on my tbr list. Thanks for the review Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is long, long, long Wendy. I hope you like it

      Delete
  4. Hadn't heard of this; will have to look for it; it does sound intriguing!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very intriguing. That is a good word to describe the book

      Delete
  5. I really did not like this book. I found the characters to be whiny and self-centered and not much fun to read about. You did a great review of it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, they were a whiny bunch weren't they. I liked it however!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!