Monday, January 5, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-January5th Edition

FOR TODAY 

January 5, 2014

Outside my window...

The skies are grey and the day is dull. We woke this morning to temperatures of 0* It is only 18* right now. We have snow on the ground and more very low temperatures on the way!

I am thinking...

I am thinking about how crazy this world that we live in has become. When will the violence and the killings stop? When will people start to love one another? When will we just stop with all the hate?

I am thankful...

I am thankful for my family and that we were able to spend this past weekend together. Even though we were not all 100% well. We are on the mend. 

In the kitchen...
Tuesday..Take out (basketball game)
Wednesday..Church night for kids
Thursday..Tomato soup with grilled cheese
Friday..Chili
Saturday..Shepherds Pie
Sunday..Chicken & Noodles, mashed potatoes

I am wearing...

I am wearing grey yoga pants and a light grey tee shirt...black socks

I am creating...

I am creating a new recipe at the moment. It is called Grands Taco Melts...made with canned biscuits

I am going...

I am going to start on my organization challenge tomorrow. Cleaning out kitchen cabinets. Anyone want to help?

I am wondering...

I am wondering if it will really be possible to organize my home in only 14 weeks. Time will tell

I am reading...

I am reading There Was an Old Woman byHallie Ephron. Having a hard time getting into it so far. Hope it picks up soon.

I am hoping...

I am hoping the weather will not stay this cold all of January. Will make the heating bill too high. For sure!

I am looking forward to...

I am looking forward to cleaning my kitchen! Yes, I am! Really!

I am learning...

The lessons that I continue to learn about grief are surprising me. I cannot believe it has almost been 6 months. Half a year. And I still miss him so much that it brings pain.

Around the house...

I am following the 14 week challenge at A Bowl Full of Lemons. Take a peek and see what you think.

I am pondering...

I am pondering what to do with the things that I purge. Should I try to sell or just donate. There are good things about both. What are your ideas?

A favorite quote for today...




One of my favorite things...

I love to read on these dull, grey days. But then I don't get anything else done.

A few plans for the rest of the week:

Working on the kitchen project, kids with sports practices and games. Busy, busy, busy. 

A peek into my day...

A few pictures of New Year's Eve. Darian and Harley had a few friends over and granny chaperoned! Fun!
I will link up with The Simple Woman's Blog. Won't you join us!

18 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - glad the New Year is starting off with some ideas and thoughts - the world is not an easy place right now - but I'm glad to see your family is happy and enjoying life - with you tucked quietly away in the mix .. Take care and yes the winter months aren't easy ... the sun and longer days will be here soon .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying Hilary. That is all we can do!

      Delete
  2. I hear ya on the heating bill! It seems my furnace has been running non stop the last couple of days! Ugh! I too have been in purge mode, especially after starting our floor makeover in the living room/dining room. I am going to look into that 14 week challenge. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid of what the heating bill is going to look like next month!

      Delete
  3. How fun with the New Year gathering! That I bet was fun to see the young ones having fun. Yes, it is possible to organize your kitchen, Paula, LOL. Just take small steps; work on one project then go to the other, rest in between. I spent about an hour on things before we moved, an hour here, an hour there, and it was amazing what you could get done in that time. If you have a lot of nice things,I would say have a sale. Enlist the kids to help you and tell them you'll split some of the profits with them. Could be a good learning experience with them on bartering and haggling with prices. I fear our heating bill here since we moved right when it was so cold and the heater was on constantly it seemed like. I will have to look into that 14 week challenge.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take that all under advisement Betty. Thanks for your suggestions

      Delete
  4. Have you ever used free cycle.org? It's a great way to give away things you no longer need. I think I gave away half of my house when I was reorganizing it. The idea is that someone else may want/need what you no longer want. Thinking of you ... Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have used freecycle.org in the past. Another good idea

      Delete
  5. Just saw that I didn't type the name correctly. It's "freecycle.org"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Never Tell a Lie by Hallie Ephron. It was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look in on that one Wendy!

      Delete
  7. I'm all about donating. It's too much trouble to have yard sales, etc. Just my two cents on the idea.

    I've been reading about the 14 week organizational challenge. I don't feel I have time to commit to it right now, but I think it is a great idea. Good luck on the de-cluttering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerralea. I have lot of time, but not much energy and enthusiasm. I haven't started yet. Thank goodness my kitchen is small. I probably will donate. Its the easiest

      Delete
  8. A new recipe! What fun! I'm way too boring to try anything like that. Well, I don't cook, I reheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Taco Melts actually turned out to be pretty tasty. The kids really liked them. I have only recently gotten more into cooking. I was always just a 'fixer' before. Richard did a lot of the cooking at our house. Until he had a stroke.

      Delete
  9. Hi Paula! Oh the heating costs, ugh... We heat with oil, and I just cringe at the thought of the oil truck coming and seeing the drivers smiling face at my door, where he happily presents me with the bill. Usually, when I declutter and purge my home, I donate, by the time I see it all in piles I want it to be gone. Bigger items I may sell on Kijiji. I also like Freecycle, although more seems to come into my home using that, lol! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking I will probably donate to Goodwill. The idea of saving it all for a garage sale is just not appealing to me!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!