Monday, January 26, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-January 26th Edition


FOR TODAY...

January 26, 2015 Today would have been my mother's 92 birthday! Rip Mom! I miss you

Outside my window...

I always write my day-book at night. Sometime around midnight. The sky is clear and the stars are shining. It is 34* right now. And they are saying that it will be 70* today. Also for the next couple of days. I will open the windows and air the house out. Back down to winter temperatures by next weekend. 

I am thinking...

I am thinking that Darian should probably try to see if he can get in a different English class. He is struggling so with this Honor's English. Wouldn't it be better to just put him in the regular class and let him excel? It will be something for me to ponder.

I am thankful...

I am very thankful for all that I have. I do not need anything more right now. We have enough!

In the kitchen...

Monday...Hamburgers and french fries
Wednesday...Church night
Saturday...Happy 17th Birthday Darian
Spaghetti with meat balls, garlic bread and Birthday cake. He chose this meal.
Sunday...Chicken and Broccoli Rice casserole

I am wearing...

What do I wear? I wear yoga pants and tee shirts. Nothing different today. Pant are grey and shirt is teal with strips in white.

I am creating...

I am creating my Valentine Mantle. I put all the stuff out this weekend and thought the girls would like to decorate it. They didn't. So I will!

I am going...

I am going grocery shopping tomorrow (Monday). I am not a fan of grocery shopping but it has to be done.

I am wondering...

I am wondering if anyone would like to come do my shopping! Any takers!

I am reading...

I just finished Still Alice by Lisa Genova (my review is the post below this). I am getting ready to start reading Agnes Hahn By Richard Satterlie. It was a Friday Freebie on Barnes and Noble. We'll see what I think.

I am hoping...

I am hoping the whole 'deflategate' goes away this week. I am rather tired of hearing it on the news. I am not a big football fan and it sounds like poor losers to me.

I am looking forward to...

I am looking forward to this week's warmer weather. I think I will get outside more. Try to do some walking. Might even fix my lunch and eat it out in the sun! Come on over. 

I am learning...

I am learning that we all go through grief differently. I am wondering if Darian is showing his grieving through his grades. Something for me to think about.

Around the house...

Around the house this week I am going to finish the kitchen. I only have a few cabinets and drawers to do. I have 3 big boxes to take to Goodwill. Then I will start on the laundry room closet. I am going to put shelves in that closet and make it a pantry.

I am pondering...

I am pondering how to better help the kids with their homework. Man, I am not any good at Algebra so that will require the call to the tutor. But I am pretty good with English. I should be able to assist them in that way.

A favorite quote for today...


 I'm learning to paddle my own canoe!


One of my favorite things...

I have always loved decorating for all the holidays.

A few plans for the rest of the week:

We have no games or wrestling meets this week (until Saturday) so just practices and quiet nights at home. 


A peek into my day...

Since it is Mom's birthday, instead of sharing a picture of what we are doing, I wanted to share one of the last pictures that was taken of her. She is here with Paige and Pinky Pie. A stuffed pig. Paige and I both loved Pinkie Pie. And we both loved Grandma Ping. Love you Mom!

I will link up with The Simple Woman's Blog! Won't you join us?


22 comments:

  1. It might be worth the while to contact the guidance counselors at school to have them check in with the kids in their grieving process. Sometimes kids are reticent, but a counselor might be able to get more information. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that Kwiz. The kids have a new counselor at their school. She is probably not even aware of the situation.

      Delete
  2. Learning to paddle my own canoe is the best thing I have done for myself. You will blossom before you know it and feel confidence you never thought you could have...even if you have confidence now. I am rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katy! I am rooting for you too. It means a lot to me to have a person like you in my corner

      Delete
  3. Love the quote!! And yes, grief affects us all in different ways. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for letting me know you stopped by my blog yesterday. Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure. I think we have a couple of things in common :)

      Delete
  5. I have also lost my mom so I understand that today is a hard one. I am envious of that warm weather, and whatever cream cheese chicken is I am sure it would be my favorite meal at your house :) have a wonderful week and prays are sent up for you today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't really that hard on me as it has been awhile since she died. She lived a good, long life. Into her 80's. But, still, I miss her. You should try that Cheese chicken. It is delicious!

      Delete
  6. To add to Kwitz's comment, schools have usually have social workers as well as the counselors and they also might have a school psychologist. I love the quote though. When I was. freshman in high school, O asked my mom to be the first person to sign my year book. She wrote that exact quote over forty years ago! She doesn't remember writing it, but I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gram. I notified the school counselor and she is going to help him. I loved your story about the quote. Glad I could jog a good memory for you

      Delete
  7. I am going to go shopping this weekend at some point and need to get some yoga pants!!!! I used to like grocery shopping until they changed the whole grocery store around, why the heck do they have to do that?? I do enjoy going with my daughter and grandson though, that is a bit more tolerable. I am not sure if this will help you, but we use www.khanacademy.org for math help and other lessons. They have great stuff and help with algebra. Have a wonderful week ( 70% - lucky!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think it is more fun when I take the kids. But then I spend too much. So since I am trying to cut my grocery bill by 30% I need to leave them at home. We used Kan academy once before. I will have to get him to log in again.

      Delete
  8. Wow, Paige's curls are the cutest thing ever! I know this photo is so precious to you.

    Wish I had a mantle to decorate! Then again, I'd have to adorn it. Decorating for holidays is definitely not my strong suit, so my hat's off to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those beautiful strawberry curls came from a salon perm. Can you believe it? And she looked so dang sweet with that headful of hair.

      Delete
  9. What a sweet picture of your mom and Paige from years past. I always do like to look at your menus; I get ideas for mine :) How exciting with Darian's birthday coming up this week! I'm not one that likes grocery shopping either. I always remind myself I'm glad to have the money to buy groceries :)

    betyt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to have the money too. It hasn't been that long ago when I struggled to pay for groceries and had to watch every penny! The belt is a bit looser now

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday to your Mom, Happy Birthday to Darian and enjoy those warm temps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I am sure I will enjoy the weather. I know that it will end

      Delete
  11. My prayers for you and your children. Grief is its own entity and because each person is different, each situation is different. I would imagine you are all doing the very best that you can considering. My encouragement on the kitchen and laundry room. I hope all goes as you hope. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hilary! You are very right about grief. We all have to grieve the way that is best for us

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!