Monday, January 12, 2015

My Simple Woman's Daybook-January 12th Edition

Always on Monday, join Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog to link up my entry. 


FOR TODAY

January 12, 2015

Outside my window...

There is no sun shining today. The wind does not blow. The sky is cloudy.There is a feeling of winter in the air. The temperature is 29*.


I am thinking...

I am thinking how the news is nothing but bad! There are killings and war. There is hurt and there is pain. Our world needs some happiness. 

I am thankful...

I am thankful for the goodness of my grandchildren. They may not know how to do Algebra or get their English papers just right, but they know how to love their granny. And that is what is important.

In the kitchen...

Monday..Turkey and cheese sandwiches
Tuesday..takeout
Wednesday..kids eat at church
Thursday..Salads after wrestling
Friday..Chicken
Saturday...Green Bean Soup with sour dough bread
Sunday..Chicken and noodles
I

I am wearing...

I am wearing my darker grey yoga pants, black Nike socks and a bright turquoise tee shirt.

I am creating...

I am creating this post. For my blog. To leave for them who read a snippet of my life.

I am going...

I am going to soon bundle up and meet the kids' bus and get Darian off to Scouts. He is a patrol leader now and must be there. 

I am wondering...

I am wondering what I can do to help Darian with Algebra this next semester. Should I hire a tutor. How I wish his Papa was still here to help him. He was the math whiz at our house. 

I am reading...

I continue to read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

I am hoping...

I am certainly hoping for a burst of energy this week. I need to get busy with my organizing of my home.

I am looking forward to...

I am looking forward to spring. In the winter, I always look forward to spring. I think that I am wishing my life away. Maybe it would be better if I lived somewhere warmer then I wouldn't so pine for spring.

I am learning...

I am learning that is is possible that I am pretty lazy. Not a good thing to learn about myself. I just don't want to do anything. 

Around the house...

I need to finish the kitchen and then move into the laundry room. To stay on schedule with my challenge at ABFOL.

I am pondering...

As I go through kitchen cabinets I ponder what to keep and what to toss. There are so many gadgets in the drawers that I no longer use. But I found a few years ago when I tossed the meat grinder there came a time that I wished I had kept it. Such a dilemma. 

A favorite quote for today...






One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is the glorious smell of "Cider Mill" that is melting in my Scentsy pot. It is the touch of cinnamon I love. 


A few plans for the rest of the week:

This is a busy week of sporting events. Basketball games on Tuesday and Friday and Wrestling matches on Thursday and Saturday. With Scouts on Monday and youth group on Wednesday you can see I will spend a bit of time being a taxi driver. 


A PEEK INTO MY DAY...
Darian (bottom) warming up
Harley warming up








16 comments:

  1. I love your Monday posts! I always call myself the "tank and the bank" when I do the taxi driving. Have you checked out any of the free algebra apps? My granddaughter's school has teachers who stay after school every day and they all go to the library where students can stay after and get help. Does Darian's school have that kind of help? Or what about an older student who did well in algebra? You're a good grammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gram! It is kind of like a weekly journal entry about what is going on in my life. Hopefully someday these will matter to someone. Yes, Darian's Algebra teacher meets with him in the mornings before school. Since he is in wrestling he can't stay after. I am wondering about getting him a tutor to see is that would help. Maybe a kid his age might be better

      Delete
  2. I totally understand what you mean about the awful news and killing and hurting others. I try to not watch the news, but it is hard to escape it all. It is discouraging! My grandson is 11 months old now, and being a Grammie is so amazing! I never dreamed it would feel this way, I can't even describe it, it is wonderful! I must say, you seem to be a very cool grandmother, and they must love you like crazy! I hope you have a good week ( one week closer to spring, hurray!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea...one week closer to spring! Being a granny is tons of fun. Until they come to live with you and then I just had to take on the parenting role.

      Delete
  3. Oh ya, I know exactly what you mean about the occupants of kitchen cabinets and drawers. It had been a good long while when I got the bug to purge last year - and yes, I've gone looking for more than one gadget. In the future, I'm thinking to toss the 'undecided' stuff in a box marked 'Purgatory' -- and, if I've not had occasion to miss anything after 6 months, send the whole kit and caboodle on its merry way to Goodwill.

    I don't envy Darian in the least! Just the word, "Algebra" makes me wince. Don't tell him I said so, but I can't think of a single occasion since high school where I've actually had to use Algebra. Crossing my fingers for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Purgatory box sounds like a great idea! Funny, he just asked me last week if he would ever have to actually use Algebra in his future...LOL!

      Delete
  4. It was amazing how many kitchen gadgets from hubby's parents we finally got rid of this past move, but in a few weeks, I'm doing a blog post on how many knives we have, ridiculous. It is hard to know what to keep and what to give away, but I think if something hasn't been used in a few years, it might be safe to dispose of it. Maybe a student in an older grade can tutor Darian? I'd be lost helping with Algebra myself too. It does seem like a busy week with the activities for the kids, but good to keep them busy :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS good to keep them busy. And I suppose good for me too. I am going to look into finding a teenage tutor for him.

      Delete
  5. My students find Kahn Academy helpful with algebra. Lots of videos there, free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have checked on Kahn Academy in the past. I will have to have him check it out. Thanks Kwiz!

      Delete
  6. And I meant to add--keep plugging away with The Goldfinch. There were a couple of times I almost put it down because it's >so long< but I'm glad I stuck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting close to the end. Only about 100 pages left. It hasn't been an easy read

      Delete
  7. I would check with the school. Sometimes the honor students offer tutoring and assistance in the classes in which they excel and are available immediately before or after school as part of their service requirements for graduation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his Algebra teacher sent me a list of tutors

      Delete
  8. Hello from the Canadian prairies!! Thank you for stopping by my blog the other day ~ sorry it's taken me so long to return the favour. Sounds like we are on similar de-cluttering paths... man, what a job! I had trouble wishing away winter, too, until a few years ago. It's still BY FAR my least favourite season (and seriously, who could blame me?? You saw the temperature on my Daybook post! And snow on the ground for almost half a year is gross. :P ) but I started taking my camera outside with me on my walks ~ mostly to show my southern blog readers what a Canadian winter was like ~ and realized it has a beauty of its own. The more beauty I discovered, the less I realized I was hating it. I certainly prefer the warmer months, but I've learned to quit focusing on what I don't like about winter and just focus on what I enjoy about my life DURING winter. Stay warm, and good luck with your decluttering!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady! We are no where near as cold here as you are in Canada. I am not much into the decluttering. More like a cabinet at a time. But that is okay. Love how you are dealing with the cold weather!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!