Thursday, January 8, 2015

Budget

Last year when I included the word budget in my yearly goals it was because I did not have a choice. We needed to create and follow a budget. I knew that my husband was entering the final stages of his life and my income would drastically be reduced. And that has happened. So it is more important that ever for me to study how to budget.

I have set up yearly spread sheets to track where my money was going (thanks for my brother). I wasn't surprised to find that I am spending way too much money at the grocery store and eating out. So I am going to work on those two areas this year and see if I can't cut back. My goal is to cut back by 30%. We will see how that goes.


I want to really pursue using coupons. That will take a pretty good effort on my part. I have been menu planning for some time now and if I stick to my menu plan then I do well. I will work to find the coupons that I need before I hit the grocery store.

As for eating out: We will have two days per month that we will eat out. We must know those days ahead of time and put them on my menu plan. That will help me to avoid the last minute drive through because it is late and I am tired.

What do you do for your budget woes? We all have them. I would love to hear your ideas.

12 comments:

  1. I really think cutting back by 30% is doable, Paula. Four years ago when my husband quit his job to move closer to his parents, we had to majorly cut back. We basically stopped going out to eat and watched the sales papers for what stores had better prices. Also gave up soft drinks. One thing I learned, is like you do, to meal plan and stay out of the store but once a week. Seemed that even if I went in for just the item I needed, I would come back with others that I didn't need and thus spend more money. I didn't use any coupons because I bought a lot of store brands. We also cut out a lot of snacks like chips we would get, etc. So I think with just a little fine tuning, you'll reach that 30% goal.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. That is my goal. I don't have a choice. If I want to continue to stay home we have to live within our budget

      Delete
  2. You've got this Paula...budgeting is very hard but it is also very freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paula! I am not a huge couponer, just starting out, but one thing I do use all the time is www.checkout51.com , they post deals on certain products on their website, they change every week, and when you use them, that amount is credited to your account. Once you hit $20.00, they mail you a cheque. So far I have made $60.00 in about 4 months. it is even better as you can combine these with coupons. It is worth checking into!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula ... good luck, but you'll be saving money now - because you're thinking about it. Cooking your own is cheaper than buying something ... the coupons sound a good idea too ... Good Luck - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one we're working on too. Meal planning and shopping the sales are a huge help. I don't know if you have them, but I've started shopping Aldi a lot more, and that has really helped to reduce the grocery bill. I'm also hoping to plant more vegetables this year, so we'll be able to freeze a lot more to use later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have an Aldi's here. I have never shopped there. Guess it is time to go see how they can save me money! Thanks Danielle

      Delete
  6. 30% is a great goal, Paula! After a rough 6 year stretch, I was really feeling optimistic last summer and think about investing in a plot of land on which to retire.
    Then, of course, a couple big appliances decided to go belly-up and I fear the heater/ac unit is about to go. We don't go out to eat much, but that's easily something I can cut in half.
    Sometimes I feel we're living in an episode of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone and throw up my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that how it goes. I hope and PRAY nothing big happens here. Since Richard got sick three years ago we have had to replace both the washer and dryer, the furnace, and the A/C. Nothing else please

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!