Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Throwback Thursday Christmas Past

Richard Our First Christmas together 1978

Granny and Papa with 6 of the grandkids at the Christmas Tree Farm
2002

Papa lying on the ground cutting down the tree



Christmas dressing up for granny 2002
Doesn't appear that Paige is happy!


Richard loved Christmas. When our boys were growing up and for a short while after we started having grandchildren, we drove to the Delp Christmas Tree Farm in St. John, Kansas every year to cut down our Christmas Tree. We usually went with a group of family and friends. Everyone would load up at our house in several cars and down the highway we went, caravan style. First stop was always in Stafford, Kansas at a little cafe called Ickies, for breakfast. Then on to farm to get our saws and head to the field to pick our trees. Everyone usually had their own criteria to follow. The trees were then shaken, bagged, and loaded while we went inside to warm up by the fire and eat shelled peanuts. Throwing the shells into the fire was always entertainment to the boys. We sipped on hot cider stirred with a candy cane. And every year Richard told the story of going to the Christmas tree farm with a big trailer, cutting down hundreds of trees, loading them up and bringing them back to Hutchinson to sell at the Kansas State Fair grounds for the local Jaycee fundraiser. We never tired of hearing him tell the story. (Well, maybe we did. But we never told him) After the drive back home with the trees we would gather (either at our house or the house of a friend) for chili and vegetable soup. And there may or may not been a bottle of bourbon passed around. Ah, good memories. Slowly, all of us got pre-lit artificial trees and this tradition ended. But not before lots of memories were made. Do you have a holiday tradition you'd like to share with us?





12 comments:

  1. Hi Paula .. lovely to read your memories of those years and to see some of the photos ... fun. We had a small tree, that then got planted out into the garden each year .. and sometimes we'd use the same tree the next year .. in other words they never got cut down ... now I think we all have cut trees, which we buy locally ... I don't but other members of the family do - who host Christmas etc .. Enjoy remembering all those happy times - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that we have these memories Hilary! It is what will sustain us in our later years!

      Delete
  2. How fun to go and get the trees like this, Paula; that is something our family never did. Great memories of them! And I like stories that get repeated year after year like Richard and his tree story; its part of the tradition of the holidays or other special times :)

    There is the convenience of the artificial trees, but not as special as going to a tree farm or forest and just looking for the right one that fits the family the best for that year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but so much easier than having to clean up all those needles at the end :)

      Delete
  3. Such lovely memories. I have shared Swedish Yuletide Traditions on my blog many times now. This year I will only send out a greeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading the Yuletide traditions that you have shared...

      Delete
  4. No traditions to rival this, Paula. By the time you got to the hot cider and candy canes I was smiling so big! About a decade ago I decided 'real' trees were too much trouble.
    Darn but it's sad to realize I've grown up into a practical Polly. :(

    Love these pictures -- especially the last one in front of that awesome fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real trees ARE too much trouble. But, for the memories, I am glad Richard introduced me to the love of a real tree. And I am just as glad mine is now artificial....That is the fireplace in my dining room by the way

      Delete
  5. My Mom came to this country from Germany when she was 12. Christmas Eve is when German families exchange gifts. Advent is also more important there than here. So, every year, she'd order an Advent Calendar. The ones with chocolate inside each little door. Back then, you couldn't find them in Mississippi, LOL! So, we opened all our presents on Christmas eve, completely unlike everyone else in the neighborhood. Mom and Dad nodded to the whole Santa thing by having one present for us to open on Christmas morning. Kind of the opposite of the way many families do it today. This year, when my parents will be here, we'll be doing the same thing....celebrating on Christmas Eve, as my Mom did so long ago as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was growing up, Lisa, we always did Christmas Eve. My mom didn't perpetrate the Santa myth much after my dad died when I was only 7. So there wasn't the big hoopla of Christmas morning EVER for me. Now, I make the kids wait until Christmas morning to do it all. They try their hardest to talk me into "just one" present on Christmas eve but I never give in.

      Delete
  6. Thank God for memories and for wonderful time with family and friends. Frank and I always took the kids and cut down our own trees but after they left we broke down and got the artificial tree. We still relish the memories though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish that my grandkids could remember doing this with their Papa. But we quit while they were still so young. I am glad that I have pictures

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!