Friday, December 19, 2014

She adored Her!

Once again it is Friday. Time to link up with Kate at Heading Home for Five Minute Friday. A group of us get together and write for five minutes without too much editing or thinking or tearing our hair out to come up with something to write about. That is because Kate gives us the prompt. The only thing she asks us to do after we link-up is pay a visit to the person that linked just prior. I try to visit as many as I can. It is so inspirational at times. And at times I just feel so humbled in the presence of so many people who have such a deep belief in something bigger than we are. I struggle with this myself. But I keep working on it.

This week's prompt is: 


Adore

When I read the prompt, of course, my first thought was "Come Let us Adore Him", since it is the Christmas season. But that is not what is flying from my fingertips tonight. We have had another death strike out family today. And I am feeling a deep sadness as I type. My granddaughter, Paige, lost her other grandmother this afternoon. Sherri was only 59 years old and she suffered a major, fatal heart attack this afternoon at home. Sherri has suffered from diabetes for many years and was on home dialysis. So while her death was not hugely unexpected it was certainly a sad shock.

Paige called this evening crying and wanted to come to my house. She is here while her mom, Sherri's only child, is dealing with the issues that have to be dealt with at this horrible time. Paige was adored by this grandmother. She was her only grandchild. I can remember when Paige was born how Sherri glowed anytime she talked about Paige. It was as if she had given birth herself. My heart is breaking tonight, not only for my former daughter-in-law, but for Paige who has lost two beloved grandparents in less than 5 months. The days ahead will be grim for her. And I hope that in some small way we can ease her pain a bit. Rest in peace my friend. And say hello to Richard for us.

Sherri and Tom 2010

Paige with Sherri and Tom at her 8th grade graduation
2014

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Paula! I'm so sorry for Paige's loss and for your loss as well. May God draw close to you so that you can minister to your granddaughter and bring her the comfort that she needs. I'm praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to Paige and to you. This season is tough and this just made it a little tougher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep....it is going to be a hard Christmas this year...and maybe for years to come, as you well know

      Delete
  3. Sherri was a beautiful woman. I am so sorry for her passing and the loss in the family, especially for dear young Paige. I am glad she turned to you to help comfort her. I will say a prayer for the family.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. Yes, Paige and I have always been very close

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this, Paula! My prayers are with Paige and all you who cared for Sherri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paula - oh dear .. how very sad - Christmas is not a good time ... and poor Paige taking all these challenges in .. I'm glad she has you - who obviously helps her loads ... much in the care and comfort thoughts ...

    She sounds a treasure .. and I hope the family (extended) will be able to bear with this news through Christmas ... my thoughts to one and all .. and especially you and Paige at this time ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad anytime but especially at the holidays. I just got word that my good friend's mother died tonight. Thank you Hilary for everything

      Delete
  6. I am so very sorry to read about the death of Paige's other grandmother...and such a young grandmother, too. What strikes me the most about your post is how kind you are as you write about Sherri. And it it says a lot that Paige could call you and ask to be there with you. Even at this holiday time, when your own recent loss can bring sadness and longing, you show strength and love in your grandmother role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shared a granddaughter..that is a special bond

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!