Monday, December 8, 2014

My Simple Woman’s Daybook Edition December 8, 2014

FOR TODAY
December 8, 2014
 
Outside my window...
It is dark and just before midnight! As usual this is my favorite time of day to be at my computer. It is cloudy. No stars visible tonight. 46*. We had rain off and on this weekend.
 
I am thinking...
I am thinking about Christmas. Aren’t we all? I drug the tree in from the garage yesterday. The girls and I put it together. Figured out how all the lights connected. It is a new tree. I bought it last year and my cousin put it up for me then. So, after 20-30 minutes of trying to figure out how all the lights plugged into each other (thanks for Harley coming to the rescue). I brought in the ornaments and the girls decorated it with a tiny bit of help from grandma. A few tears as some special ornaments were hung.
 
I am thankful...
I am really thankful for my family. Justin and Paige came for the weekend. My brother visited today. Harley and Darian had activities but we all spent a good deal of time together. And for that I am thankful.
 
In the kitchen...

Monday:Hot Dogs, Chips (Scouts for Darian)
Tuesday:Hamburger, Fries (Harley gone)
Wednesday:Church for kids (salad for granny)
Thursday:BBQ ribs (Darian gone)
Friday:Both kids gone for sports (salad for granny)
Saturday:Tacos and re-fried beans/rice
Sunday:Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, broccoli
 
I am wearing...
I am wearing a blue tee shirt and grey yoga pants. Also ankle socks and house shoes. Yes, Lisa, tonight my feet ARE cold.
 
I am creating...
I am going to make Christmas trees from old tomato cages with lights wrapped around them. Harley and I made our prototype yesterday and put it on the front porch. Cute. I will post pictures when I have them done.
 
I am going...
I am going to make it. I know that I am. I am seeing some light at the end of the long, black tunnel.
 
I am wondering...
I am wondering if I will just quit with putting up the tree. I found myself fondly looking at the other tubs of decorations in the garage. And glancing lovingly at the not so Christmas like fireplace. Hummmmm, I wonder what will happen.
 
I am reading...
A Man to Die For…a romantic thriller…written by Eileen Dreyer
 
I am hoping...
I am hoping that my most recent heart to heart discussion with my grandson is the last discussion like that! Ever! For all time!
 
I am looking forward to...
Tomorrow. No reason. Just looking forward one day at a time.
 
I am learning…
I am learning that letting go is hard. That grieving is hard. That the holidays without Richard will be hard. This year. And probably forever. But we will get through it.
 
Around the house...
Right now, around the house, are tubs of Christmas things. I will soon decide to open the lids. Or carry them back to the garage.
 
I am pondering…
I am pondering my weekly menu. But, by the time you read this post you will send that I am no longer pondering.
 
 
A favorite quote for today...

 

 
One of my favorite things...
One of my favorite things is Banana Bread. I have been thinking about it all weekend. I will have to get the ingredients and make a loaf or two this week.
 
A few plans for the rest of the week:
Usual things: both kids have practices for their sports this week. Harley has games on Tuesday and Friday. Darian is possibly going to a 2-day wrestling tournament on the weekend. And Darian has an appointment on Wednesday. I need to make a trip to the bank for a transfer of funds to pay those nasty real estate taxes that come due just days before Christmas. And I need to get them to solve my password problems with my on-line banking account. Sometimes technology can be such a pain.
 
A peek into my day...

The girls fun time of decorating!

IMG_20141206_171225825IMG_20141206_171249105IMG_20141206_180546537IMG_20141206_173832093IMG_20141206_173821144
 
I will be linking up with The Simple Woman's Blog. She usually doesn't have her link up until later on Monday. But head over and read some pretty exciting Daybook entries. 
































































26 comments:

  1. Hi Paula .. well done on getting the grandchildren to help with the decorating and solving lighting problems - seems like you're getting things organised ... and how lovely to see your brother and be able to spend a day together busy doing things too .. Have a good week - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tree looks pretty! Everyone did a great job with it! Keep it simple if you do any other decorating. When you are done with it, let it be done, know what I mean? Sounds like fun with the kids activities throughout the week; at least a break in meal planning some days :)

    I know, what is it with taxes due at the end of the year? Our house taxes too, but we can break them up, half now, half in April (which is what we do).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We break ours up too! I'd hate to have to do it all at one time Hope you have a good day

      Delete
  3. I'm happy that you are forcing yourself to get in the Christmas spirit. I know how hard you are finding it and it is wonderful that you are making new memories for you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it is going to work...to FORCE myself. But I will do it for the kids

      Delete
  4. I am glad that the girls had a blast putting up the tree. I know that holidays are hard without loved ones but remember you are strong enough to survive it and to be there for your girls. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love banana bread! I was tossing up between making a loaf of that or banana pudding this weekend.... the pudding won out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana bread here this coming week Jodi. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. Yes, you ARE going to make it! You really are, but you may sometimes take bigger steps and sometimes take smaller ones and that is okay! I find Christmas challenging are we lost our dad in a car accident when I was 12. That first Christmas I try to forget. Not only was he not there, but it was the first ever rainy, non snowy, soggy, foggy Christmas. And by that point, everyone else had gotten on with their lives, and we did not have people helping us or calling to see if we were okay. Crummy! It has gotten better, it just still isn't the same, something ( someone) is missing. But it does get better overall, it is different and you will find where it all fits, but be kind to yourself and know that it doesn't happen overnight. Hugs! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to figure out how to get to your house by Sunday...meatloaf and mashed potatoes...my dream, favorite, ideal, perfect meal!!! Love the pictures of the tree trimming! And great idea with the tomato cages...can't wait to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime you are heading to Kansas...let me know. I'll make meat loaf for you any day of the week.

      Delete
  8. Your tree is gorgeous, Paula!
    I tell folks we don't have one, on account of the puppies. But to tell the truth, I don't especially care for having one of my own to feed and bother with. (Old-folks-home, here I come!)
    One of my fav holiday traditions in the whole world is making my mom's banana nut bread recipe. Nice knowing you like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Myra. I have always only done the tree for Richard. He loved the holidays so much. But now with the kids I almost feel obligated. But at least they helped. I'll share my recipe with you when I make the loaves.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful pictures and you are right the best things in life aren't things at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interested to see the tomato cage project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to figure out how to plug them all in after I get them made....oh how I miss my engineer husband!

      Delete
  11. And you say you are not crafty...trees out of tomato cages....fantastic!! Can't wait to see pictures. My tubs of Christmas stuff are still sitting in the floor. Heck, I will be refilling them in a couple of weeks anyway so I might as well leave them in here. I love your quote. I totally agree. My dear friend you have been in my thoughts daily. I have truly missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL well I haven't made them yet Cristy! I have to figure out how to plug all of them in once I make them. Maybe Justin can help me with that this weekend. I have missed you too my friend. I'm glad you are back.

      Delete
  12. The girl fun time makes me want to be THERE with you all decorating! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have been here too Chere Mama!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!