Monday, December 22, 2014

My Simple Woman's DayBook-December 22nd Edition

FOR TODAY...December 22, 2014

Outside my window...

Outside my window the sky is dark and cloudy. It was so cold and windy today at the cemetery for Sherri's funeral services. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain with a high of 41*

I am thinking...

I am thinking that it doesn't matter when someone dies the first holidays will be the hardest...whether they left us in July or just a few days ago.

I am thankful...

I am thankful for my family. I really am! Sometimes it is just hard to have family and I cannot imagine if they weren't around. Now think about that!

In the kitchen...

Monday...Today we had leftovers
Tuesday...Ham and Cheese Omelets
Wednesday...Pork Tenderloin and Scalloped Potatoes, Corn
Friday...Biscuits and Gravy
Saturday...Potato Soup

I am wearing...

I am wearing grey sweats, a black and shite tee and socks

I am creating...

I am not creating....

I am going...

I am going to try to relax the rest of this week. We had our Christmas here yesterday. Then the funeral today. Justin will be working the holidays. And the kids and I will pretend it is over. Because it is!

I am wondering...

I am wondering how the holidays will be for those who have just lost their loved ones. It makes it so hard just before a holiday that I find hard anyway.

I am reading...

I am currently between books. I just finished reading Room which I will soon review for you.

I am hoping...

I am hoping for peace and love and moving on in the New Year!

I am looking forward to...

I am looking forward to another year.

I am learning...

I am learning that it just never leaves me. It is always right there bubbling away under the surface. I am tired.

Around the house...

Around the house things remain festive!

I am pondering...

I am pondering how long to leave all the decorations up this year. They do not sparkle for me. I have no spirit. I am down tonight. As if you couldn't tell. It was a hard day. Very hard. 

A favorite quote for today...



One of my favorite things...

One of my favorite things is Lindor Truffles and I have 3 bags tucked away for special moments. 

A few plans for the rest of the week:

Harley has basketball practice tomorrow; Paige will come for a bit and I'll take her shopping; the rest of the week there are no plans. 

A peek into my day...



Never too old to visit Santa. And get a candy cane. We found him on the street corner when we were looking at Christmas lights on Saturday night. The kids thought he was 'hauntingly' like Papa. Can you see the resemblance?

I am linking up for the final time this year with Peggy at The Simple Woman's Blog. Won't you join us.

12 comments:

  1. RIP, Sherri. You're right about the 'firsts', but there is no way to skip over them. I think they must have a lesson we are supposed to learn. I like image you shared of the empty snowy bench. I have a framed photo of one my nephew took in black and white. I hope Christmas touches you gently and still blesses you with 'merry.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Goodnight Gram....I hope that you and your granddaughter have a very nice Christmas as well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Myra...by the way the email address you left for me won't work!!

      Delete
  3. So sorry for you loss! I pray you find comfort in the days to come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi. It is just going to be a tough Christmas. There is no way to do it but just go through it!

      Delete
  4. I think when you are ready, Paula, take the decorations down. I've known people who have opened gifts on Christmas morning and taken down the tree Christmas afternoon. Do what seems right to you. You are so right about losses, the first year I call it "the first holidays without", "the first birthdays" etc. I lost my mom 12 days before Christmas back in 2006. It was a good thing I didn't have to really do much for the holidays (son's present was a trip back to where we lived) because I couldn't function those first few weeks. Christmas has never been the same since then. I would imagine its harder with losing a spouse.

    Do something different on Christmas. Go to a movie, take a ride some place if the weather is nice, something that gets you out of the house for a bit, but only if you want to do it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Paula, I hope that you do find joy and peace this Christmas season, when Christmas is already difficult and then it gets even harder with the loss of your hubby, it is hard to be happy. When everyone around you is celebrating and you do in your heart want to celebrate, but it is too painful, that is hard. But, joy can sometimes be found more easily, in little things, and in those around us. And yes...I understand the family thing all too well, it makes sense to me. Sending hugs your way and do things that are things you enjoy, follow your heart, and just be.
    I hope this week has many wonderful moments of joy for you that stretch into bigger ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for getting it Ellie...it is hard to be happy when you don't want to celebrate....

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your time with all 3 kiddos. Maybe some movie or game nights will find their way to you. Whatever you do I pray that peace, love and joy find you and stay with you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!