Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My 10 Favorite Books of 2014

Today I join Carol Knits to link with others the 10 Favorite Books of 2014. Wouldn't you like to join Ten on Tuesday? Or just tell me in the comments what your favorite books for the year were. Here are mine:

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn-I still think about this book. What a wild and crazy read.

2. Blue by Lou Aronica-This book is about a 14 year old girl who is dying and her connection to a fantasy world and a young queen. Awesome read!

3. Forgive me Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick-An intense book that takes place in one day in the life of a teenager who wants to kill his friend and then himself. I will never forget this book.

4. The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian-I will forever remember this book for that ending. The one that blew me away. The one I never saw coming.

5. What Alice Forgot by Lian Moriarty-This book will have you asking what would you think of your life if you suddenly found that you didn't remember 10 years of it.

6. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt-This book is about a 14 year old girl and the love she had for her uncle who died from Aids. Powerful!

5. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult-From this book I learned so much about grief! Another book whose ending will blow you away.

6. Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult-A story about a little girl who is seeing God and creating miracles. Or is she?

7. Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen-The story of a boy, filled with anger and rage, who is banned to live alone in Alaska and cure himself. Recommended by my grandson who at one time could really identify to the main character. 

8. The Color of Heaven by Julianne MacLean-This story helped me to learn there is always hope after death. A very poignant story.

9. Room by Emma Donoghue-A tale about Jack, a five year old boy, and his ma who are locked in a Room and their escape. I will never forget Jack.

10. The Confession by John Grisham-Just because who doesn't love a good John Grisham book!

14 comments:

  1. I've also loved some of the books on your list (Gone Girl and Tell the Wolves I'm Home) and you've made The Double Bind sound so intriguing I may have to check it out. Happy Reading in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Bonny....Happy Reading to you!

      Delete
  2. I have to check out The Double Bind as I have liked his books in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. Happy Reading to you!

      Delete
  3. I've read most of the books on your list. It was hard to narrow down to just 10 books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that hard for me because I didn't do a lot of reading this year. Most of these I have read since Richard died in July

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula .. I've just been given 'Leaving Time' ... so I shall be interested to read it ... I'm not the best reader ... other than 'research' - can hardly call it that for my blog ... but I'm always looking at articles, checking things out ... so thanks for this list ...

    Happy reading in 2015 ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoy it Hilary. I am reading more than I have in the past three years

      Delete
  5. I just told my son to read The Double Bind as well. That book was one of my favorites from 2013. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to come back and tell you how much I enjoyed Touching Spirit Bear! It's perfect for our students, and the librarian has purchased several copies. I just finished "Unbroken" by Laura Hildebrandt. Amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am sure it will be a good learning tool for your students.

      Delete
  7. The MOVIE Gone Girl... Ben Affleck killed it! IT was awesome.... the murder scene was gratuitously violent and the wine bottle scene was really just... meh.... but that's probably one of the most convincingly psycho chicks I've ever witnessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie. Usually if I read the book first I never find the movie to be that convincing. But then again I am more of a book person than a movie person

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!