Wednesday, November 12, 2014

SMELLS

I am so thankful that I have a very keen sense of smell. My mom used to say that I could smell something a block away. It serves me well when the smell is pleasant. And not too good when the smell is not. But today I am going to tell you about the smells that I love.

First of all I like anything vanilla. My newest crush of all time in candles is Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar....um to die for. I could have one of these burning 24/7 if they weren't so expensive.

Next, my favorite smell is any kind of baking bread. We used to have a bakery down town that baked bread everyday and I loved to drive around down town with the car windows down just so I could smell that wonderful odor.
I also love anything with oranges and lemons. I like to just hold an orange or a lemon to my nose and smell. But if there is a product with either then I am in love forever. My favorite all time cuticle cream is Burt's Bees Lemon Butter cuticle cream. I put it on my cuticles every night. And I do admit that sometimes I just open the little tin to sniff it. Honestly!
 
Richard always bought me Vanderbilt perfume and lotion. He loved the smell and he said he always knew where to find me when he smelled it. I have only drops left in the last bottle he bought me. I guess I'll have to see if I can find it and buy myself some. It is my signature fragrance. Do you have a signature fragrance.

And last, but not by any means least, is the smell of the men's cologne Obsession. This is what Richard wore. He had a bottle left and after he died I split it into 3 little tiny spray bottles for Harley, Paige, and me. The girls spray theirs onto their pillow at night and remember Papa. I sniff mine occasionally
and when I am really missing him I spray it on the bed before I crawl in. Crazy! Maybe! But it is what we do. And when we run out I haven't a doubt I will buy more.

Smells that remind me of my mother are the perfume Tabu and anything lilac. Oh, how she loved those smells. I remember my uncle and my dad whenever I smell Old Spice or Aqua Velva. The smell of the air when rain is coming always takes me back to my childhood, for some reason. I haven't a clue as to why.
 Do you have favorite smells? Aren't you glad that we are able to smell? I cannot image what it would be like to go through life without my favorite smells.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Paula - good remembrances ... my mother hate vanilla! So I craved it - and on occasions bought vanilla slices - very extravagant taste, expense, sugar and cream wise!! Baking bread ... always ... but I love fresh scents - and thankfully I'm not allergic - so mowed grass, flowers, bulbs .. hyacinths, roses, and many others ... a flower shop is just lovely ... enjoy yours ... and I hope you get that bottle of Vanderbilt .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of vanilla slices but they do sound amazing. I, too, love the smell of freshly mowed grass

      Delete
  2. I had a powerful sense of smell as well...at one time. Not anymore though. I use a nasal spray for my osteoporosis and it has hindered the smelling to a degree. I enjoyed reading about all of the different smells you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't be good Dianna. I am sorry that has happened to your 'smeller'.

      Delete
  3. I love the powerful way scents remind me of my memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....I can be out somewhere and smell Tabu and immediately I think of my mom

      Delete
  4. I love the smell of bread baking :) Lots of great smells you enjoy!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that we all love the smell of baking bread...the smell of it is so much better than the tastes of it, I think

      Delete
  5. What a great array of aromas! Once upon a time I had a 'signature' cologne (Chloe). Each Christmas my mother would have a bottle under the tree ... and each Christmas I'd act shocked. We'd both enjoy a good laugh. Come to think of it, aside from wanting to save $ on 'unnecessary' stuff, I've not worn it since Mother passed away in 2004.

    I love your observance of spraying Richard's cologne on your bedding ... and methinks HE thinks so, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I have a crazy sense of smell. And my memories are very tied to smells. Gardenias and Honeysuckle take me right back to my childhood in an instant. Those two smells, in the humid Mississippi night, made my bedroom smell like perfume. On the other hand, anything bad smelling and I have to keep from dry heaving. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older. These days, I could never smell some of those "ICU smells" that I remember from the first part of my career. On to better things, I love the smell of the men's cologne Cool Water. Smells like Joe, even though he's moved on to Burberry, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about those horrible hospital smells...cleaning out colostomy bags with my mouth open so I couldn't breathe....and Cool water. I once bought a small bottle for myself because I loved the smell of it.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!