Wednesday, November 26, 2014

HAPPY THANKSGIVING



It is Thanksgiving 2014. Thanksgiving was always been my favorite holiday. I liked preparing a large meal and inviting all the family over to our house. Richard loved this too. He would look forward to Thanksgiving for weeks in advance. And he loved to help in the kitchen.  He would get out the old food grinder and chop the cranberries to make Mrs. Smith's Cranberry Salad. He and I were the only ones that really liked it. None of the kids would touch it. Mrs. Smith was an old friend of his mother's and that is how we always remembered her; by naming the cranberry salad after her.(She was the first to make the salad for his family) He loved to cook cream cheese corn and stuffing made from bread crumbs with lots of onions and celery. He always got up early, with me, to put the turkey in the oven. Many times that was the first thing I did when I came home from working all night at the hospital. And he would have a glass of wine waiting. Weird for 7 a.m.; unless you truly understand working the night shift. And then it is kind of like having a glass at 5 p.m. if you get off at 4!
And no one but Richard carved the turkey.(you can read my poem here). Unless he could talk my cousin into doing it. But even if Calvin did it, Richard supervised. Oh how we loved the big family get together. We often combined his family with my family and our house would be full. Just like he wanted it. That changed a number of years ago. Older family members passed; family members quit speaking; feelings got hurt; and the gatherings shrank. Today it will be just us three.  Richard is gone. But I know that he will be smiling down on us. And he'll laugh that we are eating chili dogs. And he will be happy we are getting together with a few on Saturday. I wish all of my family (those of you who are reading and those of you who don't) and friends the Happiest Thanksgiving ever.


At our house we like to do random acts of kindness. But we don't tell people we are doing them. That is what makes them special. So for my November Gratitude challenge I want to remind everyone to be kind to one another. We need each other in a world that isn't always kind. Love to you all!

12 comments:

  1. Dear Paula, thinking of you and sending hugs and warm wishes. Grateful for my blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. Happy Thanksgiving to you and to yours!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful memories you have of previous Thanksgivings, Paula. I get the wine at 7 a.m., LOL. Something to wind down after the long night shift. It is interesting how the holidays change over the years with how we celebrate them. I know this one will be different and hard for you, but I know you'll be thankful to be with those that you love to celebrate. Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

      Delete
  3. Dear Paula .. these memories of Richard are just lovely .. the thought of a glass of wine at 7.00 am - such a thoughtful gesture ... but you're ringing the changes and doing what the three of you want to do .. it will be a peaceful happy day with your thoughtful and delightful grandchildren ... have an enjoyable time, with some happy memories too ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wealth of precious memories! Why, I could practically visualize the two of you bustling round the kitchen, accompanied by the spirit of Mrs. Smith. :) Thank you for sharing!
    Big hugs from the desert Southwest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs back to you. And Happy Thanksgiving

      Delete
  5. You and your family are included in my Thanksgiving prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy....hope you are having a Happy Thanksgiving

      Delete
  6. Happy thanksgiving, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kwiz! I hope you had a good day.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!