Monday, November 3, 2014

Dona Nobis Pacem

This years theme for Blog For Peace is "Words in the Hands of Love". What does that look
like to you?  We have to stop believing that words don't hurt. They do! Just ask a child who is being bullied or teased at school and they will tell you how much words hurt. Let's use our words to Blog4Peace. To join go to the website and make your globe and become a peace blogger. Then put it on your blog, Facebook page, Twitter and #blogforpeace.

It is time we hear what words we say in front of our kids. Do they go out and repeat the words they hear at home? Are they words filled with love? Or with hatred and intolerance. I think it is up to those of us who are raising the next generation to do it responsibly. We have to help them change the world. We have to help them learn tolerance of others who are not the same as they are. We have to teach them to love each other. Stop the bullying. Stop the violence. Be part of the world that is going to change. Our kids and our grandkids deserve this. Let's help them achieve it.

When I was just a young girl of 7 my dad comitted suicide. I was barely old enough to  understand it. But in the weeks that followed the things I heard at school from other kids have stayed with me all my life. I heard things like "even your own dad didn't want to stay with you". I understand, now that I am an adult, that these kids weren't being mean for the sake of being mean. Well, some of them might have been. But I do know they were repeating things they had heard their parents say at home. These very children couldn't have understood suicide any more than I did. So, we as parents/grandparents, need to make sure that what we are saying at home are kind words. Words that won't hurt a child if they are repeated to them at school. 

Let's help the world achieve peace with Words in the Hands of Love. 




Get your templates HERE
Please join us! Blog4Peace November 4 and everyday on our Facebook page
Our Peace Store

How To Blog4Peace
1. Make a peace globe. Choose any graphic on this page. Save. Sign. Decorate
2. Send the finished peace globe to blog4peace@yahoo.com or TAG Mimi Lenox on Facebook
3. Post it anywhere online November 4
4. Title
your post or status Dona Nobis Pace
m (Latin for Grant us Peace) hashtag #blog4peace #blogblast4peace
- See more at: http://peaceglobegallery.blogspot.com/#sthash.Fwh1WfGX.dpuf
Get your templates HERE
Please join us! Blog4Peace November 4 and everyday on our Facebook page
Our Peace Store

How To Blog4Peace
1. Make a peace globe. Choose any graphic on this page. Save. Sign. Decorate
2. Send the finished peace globe to blog4peace@yahoo.com or TAG Mimi Lenox on Facebook
3. Post it anywhere online November 4
4. Title
your post or status Dona Nobis Pace
m (Latin for Grant us Peace) hashtag #blog4peace #blogblast4peace
- See more at: http://peaceglobegallery.blogspot.com/#sthash.Fwh1WfGX.dpuf
How To Blog4Peace
1. Make a peace globe. Choose any graphic on this page. Save. Sign. Decorate
2. Send the finished peace globe to blog4peace@yahoo.com or TAG Mimi Lenox on Facebook
3. Post it anywhere online November 4
4. Title
your post or status Dona Nobis Pace
m (Latin for Grant us Peace) hashtag #blog4peace #blogblast4pe - See more at: http://peaceglobegallery.blogspot.com/#sthash.Fwh1WfGX.dpuf

32 comments:

  1. Oh Paula, I can see how the things those children said after the loss of your father made the whole situation worse. I've seen some parents have very adult conversations in the presence of their children, and I was totally stunned. It is far past time we take responsibility for the role we play in our children's actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora it is really up to us to help the new generation change the world! Good to see you

      Delete
  2. Kids are so cruel....hugs Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can be Wendy! But I truly believe they just regurgitate what they learn at home!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry about your dad, Paula, I know it was years ago, but I know how hard it is to grow up without a dad and then to have the circumstances in which he died. You are so right, the kids were only mimicking what they heard at home. We do need to be careful with our words, no matter who we are talking to or even what we leave on comments on people's blogs. You are so right, words can hurt and leave more permanent scars than a physical injury would.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty! Words are so hurtful and I just don't believe that people think before they speak sometimes!

      Delete
  4. May all the words we think and express be rooted in compassion.

    Dona nobis pacem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only people would think before they voice their words! Peace to you, x

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Words in the hands of love...." Kindness is so easy to give and makes such a difference. I am so sorry you lost your father when you were so small. Those kids did not know how hurtful those words were. Thank you for sharing this story - it has a big message for adults to teach their children kindness..........kindness starts at home. You have raised much awareness today with your story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well said. I'm sorry for your loss as a child, and for the ignorant words you experienced.

    Peace to you and yours today and every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Travis....Peace to you as well

      Delete
  8. What a powerful site, Paula! Like texting, without italics or emoticons, words alone can be misconstrued -- take it from someone who called a texter, "rude." (Well, that was the nice part of what I called him.)
    I'll definitely be spending some quality time there this coming weekend, when I'm not so bushed. You're an angel for having shared this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place to spend some time...this is my second year to be a peace blogger

      Delete
  9. Peaceful Pawkisses, Little Binky and Granny :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I can't imagine how horrible it must have felt to go through all that as a child! I am learning quickly that I need to be careful with what I say AND what I do. Michael has started using some "choice" words lately plus Denai literally tries to do everything I do. Everything. It's endearing at times, then just down right annoying at other times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important to teach tolerance in the home I believe

      Delete
  11. No one is born a hater, racist or bigot.... you're absolutely right! Those traits are learned at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we who are molding the next generation must be very careful!

      Delete
  12. I am so sorry that those words scarred so deep. They were thoughtless and needlessly cruel. I believe even a child of seven knows they are saying something hurtful. I just don't believe they think through the consequences for the other person.

    When my kids were small, I started teacher training, and worked several days a week in a school in London. The area was the area where I lived at the time, which had such a mix of races...I loved the colourfulness of the culture. But I was to see a different side.
    The age of the kids in the class I was assigned was about seven. In the class were two boys, best of friends. One was black, the other white. When I first started there they were inseperable. They had gone to playgroup together, known each other since they were toddlers. Suddenly, they were fighting. One stabbed the other with a pen. The other called the first one names. They were at war with each other every day. Parents were called in to sort it out.
    The problem? The parents. Or one set of them at least. Turned out that one set of parents was really racist. Up until that point it hadn't affected the two boys, but at that age, where an awareness of the world and other people's viewpoints begin to matter, the son of those parents suddenly took on their antagonism, suddenly realised that his best friend was of a race that his parents not only disapproved of but actively spoke against. He, wanting to be like his parents, have his parents approval, learned to hate the one he loved before.
    It was a sad time. His friend didn't understand. The parents, when they were brought in, were off-hand and dismissive, and even approving of their son's new-found stance.
    And racism was born, there, in front of my eyes.

    I saw it in other children too...a child picked upon by a boy for 'speaking funny' who, when questioned about it, hadn't realised it might upset the other (after explaining it, that 'bully' became the other's biggest defender!)

    When discussing it with the class teacher, she said that it was often in that year, when the children were seven, that this kind of attitude change happened. It was when the children took on aspects of their parents.

    Sadly, there are people who would actively encourage their children in such mean behaviour. But, for the rest of us, it is important simply to be careful that any negative thoughts we have left don't get passed on to our children, that we teach them tolerance and kindness.

    Peace to you and yours, Paula. Nameste x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting....I never thought that just maybe it is the way of a 7 year old. That is why I believe that parents really, really need to be very careful in their speech

      Delete
  13. For the 7 year old you... a (((BIG HUG)))) My mom's mom tried to kill herself when my mom was 4. It has coloured her entire life. It changes everything.

    For the grown up you - wonderful post and a very important message.

    BEST Blog4Peace wishes to you. i'm running late this year in reading and replying. :-) Loving every miniute though, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle...it does change everything!

      Delete
  14. A beautiful, moving post. I too was isolated because my father died when I was 12. I was not welcome to attend an event at high school because I had no father to bring... it was a father's night with family... why I don't remember...I do remember the hurt...Perhaps there is a positive side...I feel in tune with students at school who struggle to find an identity in broken families...I hope to give them the peace of moving forward...
    Namste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Gemma. It is sad how kids can ruin your childhood isn't it?

      Delete
  15. I am still making the rounds to visit the peace bloggers. I try to read all. the peace posts. Thank you for writing yours. I am so sorry for the way in which your father died and for the comments that were made to you. I think they come from a place of misunderstanding . . . and then sometimes just plain unkindness. Either way, with or without the inappropriate comments, your world was changed and I am so sorry. While researching my family genealogy, I found a particular family in which three of four generations took their lives. From what I was able to put together, two of the three felt like failures to their families and the third relative bore guilt for something that was not his fault. No hope, no peace.,May your peace post be shared enough that it spans the globe and saves someone from this tragic end and spares a family the grief, pain, and mean comments you experienced. Thanks for sharing your story.

    This is a good time to tell you something that I appreciate about your photo. You have the look of confidence in the way you hold your head. I like that characteristic in a person. It isn't vanity. It shows strength. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting me GN Gram. I follow along with your blog and your story about raising your granddaughter. I think you are right about suicide. And thank you for your kind remarks about my picture. I am not really all that confident of a person. But I am glad that it looks like I am

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!