Sunday, October 12, 2014

WORK

This is part of my 31 Day Five Minute Free Writes challenge within a challenge. I will be linking up with 31 Day Challenge at The Nester's as well as at Heading Home. For a list of all my letters you can go here.

Dear, dear Richard:

Here it is Monday morning. What we did on so many Mondays in our past was prepare for our work week. Now I prepare for another week of remembering you.

Oh how much work there is to do. Working together was something we did well. Wasn't it? I met you while working. You were my boss. You were very serious about work. No job to you was 'part-time'. You gave every job your full attention.

You never considered the job that you did at Cessna Fluid Power/Eaton Corporation to be work. It was your career. And you loved it. Actually enjoyed getting up and going to the office everyday. I think it was at your retirement party that someone told me you had only missed like 12 days of work in 40 years. Now that, my dear, is impressive. You were very dedicated to your career. And you passed that on to both our sons. If Danny has a job, he is passionate about it and never misses. And you know how Justin is. You passed on that love to him in the way he handles his police career. You were the greatest role model.

I miss working with you in the kitchen. You liked getting in there to 'help'. I often just moved aside and let you do it. Same thing outside...the garden and the flowers. They were your passion. Never work!

Now I am working through my grief. As I know is necessary to come out on the other side with some type of sanity. It is hard work. But I love the memories that it brings me.

Have a blessed day,

Paula

6 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you are healing nicely. I am glad that some days are getting better as you work through your grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that Wendy. I just put one foot in front of the other

      Delete
  2. That is a pretty impressive work record for Richard to miss so few days over 40 years! It seems like you and Richard worked well in a lot of different aspects in your lives together!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did work well together. And yes, a very impressive record.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Betty! Only recently, my friend (another 'oldster') and I were talking about the seeming lack of commitment - passion even - of many young people. At our workplace, that is. It's like they're just passing the time, collecting a paycheck and waiting for something better to come along. How fortunate that your sons adopted his ethic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Myra. Young people today just don't seem as passionate or dedicated as past generations. It is like they think they are entitled!

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!