Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Confession

I just finished reading The Confession: A novel by John Grisham.
I have read quite a few of his books (The Pelican Brief was my all time favorite, so far). Here is what the overview said at Barnes and Noble:

An innocent man is about to be executed.
Only a guilty man can save him.
For every innocent man sent to prison, there is a guilty one left on the outside. He doesn’t understand how the police and prosecutors got the wrong man, and he certainly doesn’t care. He just can’t believe his good luck. Time passes and he realizes that the mistake will not be corrected: the authorities believe in their case and are determined to get a conviction. He may even watch the trial of the person wrongly accused of his crime. He is relieved when the verdict is guilty. He laughs when the police and prosecutors congratulate themselves. He is content to allow an innocent person to go to prison, to serve hard time, even to be executed.
Travis Boyette is such a man. In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, he abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would never be found, then watched in amazement as police and prosecutors arrested and convicted Donté Drumm, a local football star, and marched him off to death row.
Now nine years have passed. Travis has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime; Donté is four days away from his execution. Travis suffers from an inoperable brain tumor. For the first time in his miserable life, he decides to do what’s right and confess.
But how can a guilty man convince lawyers, judges, and politicians that they’re about to execute an innocent man?
Winner of the 2011 Harper Lee Prize for Legal Fiction

Was a nice read. Not one of my favorites by any means. Wasn't up to the high standards of John Grisham, in my opinion. Drug in places. But for a legal read it was okay. I will read more of John Grisham. 

12 comments:

  1. I LOVED that book--one of his best. I think I like A Time to Kill second best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see if I have read A Time to Kill...you must read The Pelican Brief

      Delete
  2. Another book that sounds interesting! I haven't read too many of his books, but I do remember reading a Time to Kill and enjoying that story line.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check and see if I have read that one. I am terrible with remembering titles

      Delete
  3. I'm a big John Grisham fan and it has been a long time since I have read one of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one, but have read a handful of his books, including A Painted House which is not his typical legal thriller kind of book. I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read A Painted House. I will put it on my TBR list

      Delete
  5. Hi Paula, I just nominated you for the Liebster Award. It is just a cute little let's get to know each other better type thing. You can learn about it by reading my submission at http://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspot.com/2014/10/an-awardfor-little-ol-me.html. Hope you decide to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wendy. I'll accept and play along!

      Delete
  6. I used to read Grisham all the time but I've kind of gotten out of the whole lawyer/cop books. I'd probably still enjoy them if I sat down to read them but I'm in to the Urban Fantasy or Apocalyptic books now. A Time to Kill (mentioned above) is definitely a good one though, I did read that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten into the fantasy or apocalyptic books yet. My grandchildren read them. I still enjoy the mysteries and the thrillers the most.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!