Saturday, October 11, 2014

TEACH

This is part of my 31 Day Five Minute Free Writes challenge within a challenge. I will be linking up with 31 Day Challenge at The Nester's as well as at Heading Home. For a list of all my letters you can go here.


My dearest Richard,

You were a great teacher. Do you remember all the things you taught me over the years? With some of those things I was a slow learner. But you were patient with your teaching. And always loving. One of the first things that I remember you teaching me was how to waltz. Do you remember? We danced over and over to T.G. Shepard's 'Last Cheater's Waltz' until I got it.I remember years later, when you told me that every time you heard that song start, you cringed. We had played it so much. But you were a great teacher. Of the waltz anyway. I could never learn to Polka!

I remember how patient you were teaching the boys how to drive. Not me! They tested every last nerve I had. I'll never forget the day you pulled the car over on the freeway heading home from Colorado and told Danny he needed to drive us to the the next town. I thought you had lost your mind. But you were a patient teacher.

And then I returned to school. And had to get at least a C in Algebra to be accepted into the nursing program. Do you remember that summer? You taught me so well that I made an A. And you were so proud. Then Darian came along and you taught him math too. And tried your best to help Harley as well. 

I am glad that you were there to teach us so much....And even in your absence you continue to teach

Always,

Paula



12 comments:

  1. How sweet Richard taught you to waltz :) He does seem to have been a good teacher indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was dancing of his era and I didn't know how to do it. He was a great dancer and all the ladies waited patiently for their turn to dance with him anywhere we went. And he could do the Twist better than anyone I have ever seen (Besides Chubby Checker)!

      Delete
  2. I love that he taught you, so patiently, to Waltz. And, wow, the algebra is quite impressive. What a wonderful husband he was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very very good at Math and taught us all so well.

      Delete
  3. He truly was a patient man...and a wonderful teacher. I'm so glad you have those memories of his teaching, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience was not my thing but it was his virtue

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula - these are lovely posts ... with all the happy memories - I can imagine Richard would cringe when the Waltz music came on in later years ... too much is too much ... but he was obviously a very patient man and devoted husband, father and grandfather ... and you got to dance with him! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet, it is one of my favorite songs. Isn't that funny?

      Delete
  5. How neat that Richard wanted you to enjoying dancing as well!
    I used to love that song, but hadn't thought of TG Shepard in ages. (Must consult Google!)

    I think patience is a really UNDER-rated gift! ... and no, I don't possess even a thimble-full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Myra on the patience. I am the most impatient person I know!

      Delete
  6. He was patient with you because he loved you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was patient with everyone, Wendy. He was just blessed that way

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!