Wednesday, October 8, 2014

SAY

This is part of my 31 Day Five Minute Free Writes challenge within a challenge. I will be linking up with 31 Day Challenge at The Nester's as well as at Heading Home. For a list of all my letters you can go here.


Dear Richard,

I often wonder what you would say. What would you have had to say about your beautiful Memorial Service, A Life To Remember. The service was wonderful. So personal. So you! Did you see the friends and family that filled the pews? Your childhood friends who are now old? Your sister and your brother. He looks so much like you looked in your younger days, don't you think?

What did you think of all those Boy Scouts and their parents. They filled two pews. And looked so handsome (and scared) as they sat quietly in their uniforms. And weren't you bursting in pride when Darian stood behind the podium and read The 23rd Psalms for you? His voice was strong and he looked great in his Boy Scout uniform.

And what did you say to yourself when you heard Pastor Gage belt out the songs you picked so long ago to be sang....My Heart Will Go On and The Old Rugged Cross. I wept throughout My Heart Will Go On. Because I know it will....your heart will be with my heart and we will go on. No matter that you are no longer here.

Did you hear those wonderful words that your friend Rick spoke about you. And were you as surprised as I by his needing to stop a couple of times and swallow hard before he continued. He's always so stern. And dry. Remember the time I told him that I never knew when he was kidding? He spoke directly to all those Boy Scouts and told them about how you lived the Scout Oath. He knew you so well.

And I'd love to hear what you have to say about the way Pastor Mark spoke of you. He knew how much you loved your grandchildren. He told all the stories...even the one about Harley's pony tail! And when Pastor Josh (whom you never got to meet) began to preach the Parable of the Lost Son did you feel that same hope that the sons that needed to hear this were listening hard? It was the perfect sermon for our family and for our loss. 

The ceremony ended with the playing of Taps while the two Army guys who had traveled from Fort Riley folded the flag. I knew that you had tears by this time. We all did. It was the perfect ceremony. From beginning to end.

Safe in my heart and my heart will go on,



Paula

18 comments:

  1. I can be a bit morbid, and I have wondered what it would be like to watch one's own memorial service. I'm not sure if they could see or not, but it can be very powerful in helping deal with death. That's only been my experience, though. It sounds like he had a really wonderful service. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful service and I want to believe that he was right there with us watching....

      Delete
  2. What a touching letter, Paula. I felt as if I was right there with the family and friends as they paid respect to their beloved friend and family member. Prayed for you this morning, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Paula...and now you have to share the ponytail story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, go to my post on September 16 "When My Husband Left Me with Three Kids"...I told the pony tail story there

      Delete
  4. Hi Paula - my mother is often talking to me .. well I am using her words ... You've posted a beautiful post here - showing us how the service was ... with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary.....I haven't really heard Richard talk to me. But then I have trouble getting quiet enough to hear him.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful recounting by way of asking Richard what he would say. Hearing about the Taps brought tears to my eyes. And knowing he lived the Boy Scout creeds. Many the values near and dear to my heart that have been politically-corrected out of today's society.


    Just curious, Paula - why did you switch your type from black type on white background to white on black background? Is it to do with mourning Richard or did readers request it? I have a hard time reading white type on black background. Please don't be offended and I certainly don't intend to stop reading your wonderful blog, but I don't follow other blogs because of that difficulty reading. As I said - my problem, not yours - but I'd want you to tell me if you had trouble reading mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just changed the whole template of the blog. It appealed to me. No my readers didn't suggest it at all. It was my idea to just have something different. I will look into others that might be easier on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula, This may be your best letter yet. It is evident that you were so completely satisfied with Richard's service, and you know that he would have approved. That's got to be a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This ... this picture/video you've drawn in words is wonderful. Your mention of the Scouts filling two pews particularly tugged at my heart. I hope each of them took something away that will stay with them always.
    Heck, I wish I had been there to witness the love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck I wish you had been here to Myra....someday we will have to make it a priority to get together!

      Delete
  9. I'll have to go back and view his memorial service when I have more time; it does seem like a loving tribute to a wonderful man!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. It is about 17 minutes so I understand...

      Delete
  10. This letter had me crying this morning. It was weird, because I couldn't figure out if it was sadness or joy at a life well lived. I think the latter. I could picture myself right there in the church. I watched the video you posted. I was an amazing tribute to an amazing man. Wish I had met you both, and gotten to know him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa. You know they say that funerals are for the living not the deceased. It was everything all of us would have wanted for him. Truly beautiful and truly honored him. I wish you had gotten a chance to meet him. What I know about you through blogging I know that you and he would have become fast friends.

      Delete

I love to hear what you might think. Leave me a comment. I guarantee though that I will delete your comment if you are just here to cause trouble. So tread lightly!